• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King`s Rise School Peckham Road

T

teh

I am looking for anyone who went to school with David Hart or anyone who had any memories of the above schools in the 40's and early 50's.

My Dad is 70 years old this year and i am trying to put an album of memories together for him as a surprise.

David used to live on Esher Road with his parents Ada and Percy Hart and he had 7 siblings ?

Anyone with any memories or info would be great

I went to Peckam Road seniors from 46 to 50 but the name David Hart doesn't ring any bells, ask him if he remembers 'bottlewasher' in the science lab. that was me, I spent my last year there helping Frank Payne the science master.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't actually bottle washing jennyann, Frank Payne the science teacher pulled me out of the line when he wanted someone as a lab assistant and as every new class came in he introduced me to them as his 'head cook and bottlewasher'.

The bottlewasher bit stuck and everywhere I went they called me by that. E.

Edit info about the schools from British History Online:

KING'S RISE BOYS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL; KING'S RISE GIRLS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Kingstanding. Peckham Rd. Boys' and Girls' Cty. Modern Schs. became separate schs. 1945 (see preceding sch.). Accom. provided in huts in Warren Farm Rd. 1949, and for B only in St. Luke's Church Hall 1951. Names changed 1954. N.o.b. 1961: 500 B, 480 G.

——————————————————————————————

Hi Anyone from my there remember me Roger Boulton?

Later years 1959-60 I remember Spud(John) Baker--Robert Mason--Rodney Leeder etc
and school trips to Lucerne 1956 and Lido de Jesolo(nr Venice) 1957----teachers Pop Mason--
Percy Palmer--Mr Askey--Mr Evans--Nobby Clarke and Headmaster Mr Ward`s brass band.

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Roger, I went to Kings Rise from 1956-1960 but I was in the girls side. The only boys that were there at the same time as me that I can remember the names of are Tony Donaldson, Raymond Withey and Eric Ketley. Not much help to you, sorry.
Lynne.

Hi Lynn

Thanks for reply

I was born 1944(Cook St Nechells) and suggest you are a year younger than I?
I do not recognise the Boys you mentioned and had little contact with the girls.
I did have a friend a year younger than myself who played in the Brass Band and
he had two girls from the band hovering around him. I have forgotten their names
now.

bye
Roger

Hi Vivienne

Thanks for input.
Yes I am subscribed to the Kingstanding project and I have added some stuff.

bye
Roger

Hi Roger, yes I was born in 1945. I cant remember any contact with the boys school whatsoever although there were the 2 corridors that linked them together. I only knew Tony and Ray because they lived by me. I wonder where they all are now.

Hi Lynne

Yes, where indeed?

When I worked at Heartlands Hospital a colleague (was perhaps in your year?)
I have forgotten her maiden name she had a sister and she had a crush on
Spud Baker who lived directly opposite the school.
Perhaps I will remember or research her name?

bye Lynne

Roger

kingsland1955.jpg i know this mayhave been posted before by someone but couldnt resist putting it on as my mom, lynne webb is on it.
sorry mom

kelly

hi folks would anyone have any photos taken of the huts of kings rise please...

many thanks folks

lyn

Thanks Lyn, studied it quite a bit and couldn't decide! Notice a few of the girls have ribbons in their hair. I always had ribbons. Something you don't see so much these days. Viv.

if ive got it wrong viv i dare say lynne will let us know...i always had hair slides in my hair...cant recall wearing ribbons but i know a lot of girls did

Thanks Viv, I was trying to keep this secret, I'm on 2 of the photos, 5th from the right on front row sitting on the floor on one and 3rd from the left on the middle row on the other..
Lyn, I only went to the seniors at Kings Rise but there weren't any huts.

I'd forgotten posting that Robert. I don't recall those names, I left school in 1950 and I think Wendy must have left at about the same time but she may have been at the grammar school not Peckham Road, The only name I remember who was with her at the time was Cora Berry.

Was a pupil at the Boys school from Sept 57 to July 61. I recognise some of the teachers names from Roger Boulton's Xmas 54 list. Small correction Askey was Douglas Haskey. Peter Herman appeared as the French teacher during my time, he went the great Barr Comp and reached the final of the BBC Brain of Brittan competition.

Managed to make contact with some of my class mates through Friends Reunited (if anyone can remember that medium) and had a catch up with their stories. While I was there a Mr Bloxham (deputy head since the school opened) left for promotion and he mentioned in his leaving speech the school have won every sporting trophy except the Docker Shield which was the senior cricket trophy. The school had its problems with discipline but that equipped me well for the rough and tumble of adult life.

Back