• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Kong

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Hi,

Not perhaps the 'statue' this forum was thinking about, but does anyone know if there was a reason why a scuplture of King Kong was commissioned for Birmingham.

I have seen the earlier post on this subject and we can confirm he is alive and well in Penrith!

Thanks.

Hi Mr Zippy

I thought I had covered the reason why the statue of King Kong was commisioned in the "Whatever happened to King Kong" thread. These are the reasons that were given.

"In the early 1972 The Peter Stuyvesant Foundation commissioned Nicholas Munroe to design a statue of King Kong the giant ape of movie fame from 1933. This being a commission for The City of Birmingham Sculpture Project."

I hope this helps you with what you want to know.

Phil

Hi Mr Zippy

I thought I had covered the reason why the statue of King Kong was commisioned in the "Whatever happened to King Kong" thread. These are the reasons that were given.

Sorry, I meant to ask why King Kong - no obvious connection with Birmingham. Or was the sculpture project anything goes?

A colleagues visit to the Lake District has provoked this by the way. We thought perhaps there was some connection with the film.

Mr Zippy

Why? who knows the workings of the combined minds of Birmingham City Council, but these were the ground rules of the 1972 Birmingham City Sculpture Project. I think the sculptors were more or less given a free hand after being told where their works would be displayed.

The City Sculpture project aimed to give sculptors the opportunity to make works in relation to the sites on which they were to be shown and to give the public sufficient time to come to a reasoned evaluation of these sculptures in their environment.

Quite how Manzoni Gardens relates to King Kong I'm afraid I can't say, but it was an enjoyable statue and if it were to return to Birmingham I think it would receive a warm welcome.

Phil

I could be cruel and suggest that the public subliminally likened the giant fists of King Kong to those demolition balls that would eventually sweep away much of Manzoni's 1960's 'improvements' in the city. :)

Mr Zippy

Quite how Manzoni Gardens relates to King Kong I'm afraid I can't say, but it was an enjoyable statue and if it were to return to Birmingham I think it would receive a warm welcome.

Phil

Sadly I think that like another fibreglass statue, "Forward", it would ultimately get vandalised and burnt.

Lloyd you are probably quite right, but what I would like to know is why these vandalism crimes are never caught on all these cctv cameras? The trouble is they are all watching the motorists.

Anyway King Kong could be on a pedestal high up where he can't be reached. Perhaps a mock up of the Empire State Building.

Phil

Just the other day I was thinking this statue. But i have wondered about it for a very long time!
I recall a king kong statue situated on the Bristol Road on the garage roof on one of the large houses directly opposite King Edwards School.
Does anyone else remember this???
I used to sit on the bus & wonder why someone would put this on the roof!! I'd be worried it would crashing through.
I think it was in the early 1980's as that was when i started work & caught the bus home.

Thanks for the thread Alf. Enjoyed the pics, i think i do recall him in the gardens at the back of the shops. However i think the one on the bristol is a different one. Looking at the pics of the people next to him he is HUGE no way would he have stood on the Bristol Road & i don't recall him been that BIG!!!
Perhaps the people who lived there had a replica made when the original left for Scotland?????

I never saw him some of the other members who saw him should put you right on that one soon

I was just thinking about King Kong and what a great scoop it would be for Brum to bring him back, anyone know the latest as i know there have been several atempts to bring him back but nothing has ever become of it. I think to locate him somewhere in the market's area would be a great idea.

Back