• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Kong Statue

Who Was Carl Racey?

Given that we now know it was Mike Shanley who bought our kid from the City Council in September 1972, the question arises: Who was Carl Racey? Was he the owner of a car sales business in Ladypool Road, Sparkbrook, who bought "Kid Kong" from Mike Shanley? The reports we have seen state that Spook Erection Ltd bought KK from King Kong Kar Ko, so perhaps Carl Racey took over that trading name and then sold KK to Spook. Does anyone out there know more about Carl Racey and his business interests?

With all the great statues hidden away somewhere why would Brumies need that rubbish back that's my question

That's a good review of his history (already worked out on this thread), thanks Colin.

You have a controversial viewpoint Alf, but you have the right to hold it! I am firmly with the "bring back King Kong to Birmingham" camp, although it appears he is definitely not for sale....

Just saw the King Kong item on local news - Filmed on top of the 'Big Peg' surrounded by snow!
How long has that taken to be beamed 2 miles to the mailbox to be shown?

If they ever do get him back and stick him up there - he'll be hit by the first Air Ambulance passing over heading to City (Dudley Road) Hospital!

King Kong was the subject of discussion on the Danny Kelly show a few weeks ago but I can't remember for the life of me where they said the statue is now. Jean.

Thanks Polly so many people phoned in claiming him to be elsewhere and I didn't listen to the end of the show.

I heard Andy Munro asking for it to be put ontop of the Big Peg he said it would be amusing and quirky what Brum needs.....not sure why....lol

Re: King Kong...

I just found this picture in a box upstairs.
Apparently one is my wife aged about 10 and the other is a huge gorilla. I just haven't been able to figure out which is which?

View attachment 63779

Chocks

Chocks, you're wicked! (lol) Your better half obviously isn't a BHF member, otherwise how would you get away with it? Great picture though.

[Admin team: thanks for merging the threads.]

Last edited:

Chocks we may have to move the Lad in the Lane meet to intensive care at Heartlands.

Here he is folks. But don't be alarmed: he's only sleeping.

[From the Birmingham Mail article linked to by Mrs T in post #81. And he's still in Penrith, not a "Scottish carpark".]

Last edited:
Back