• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Edward's School, New Street 1838 - 1936

The School drawn in 1844. Would the Road/Lane to the right of KEGS be Peck Lane ? And would the buildings just in view be the Froggery ? This view must have been just before the clearance of the land in preparation for the first New Street Station, and hence those buildings just in view at the end of the Lane would soon disappear. Viv.

Viv

636DF7C4-8B4D-4E86-8DC2-A5D437AF2BC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Was wondering what connection (if any) Mr Downes had with KEGS in New Street. From the advert it sounds to me that the address given was part of the School or premises related to it were once located in Shutt Lane (later Alison Street). Was this perhaps on Gild of the Holy Cross land ? I’ve also found another advert that gives an address in Shutt Lane for the “Free School” dated 1797, but can’t be sure if this the KE Free School. Viv.

18B4F610-F94A-43D3-8518-DAFE0DEFF9B5.jpeg

Last edited:
My father attended King Edward Grammar on High St back in the 1920s. Does anyone know if the school would have student lists and any other information back then?

hi gary you have posted this thread under the factories and offices section of the forum...i am moving it to the correct section which is schools..colleges and universities..could we please remind members to try and post where possible in the correct sections of our forum and also to use the search box to see if we already have a thread for the topic..by doing this it helps cut down the work our moderators have to do and by posting in the correct place you may receive more responses..

thanks

lyn

Did you mean King Edward Grammar High St Birmingham City centre? I believe there was a King Edward Grammar in New St, could this be the one?
My father attended King Edward Grammar on High St back in the 1920s. Does anyone know if the school would have student lists and any other information back then?
If it is the King Edward VI School formerly in New St. now in Edgbaston they publish an annual "Blue Book" listing all pupils with some brief details about them. Not sure how far back the Blue Books go but I am sure the school office would be able to advise you if you ring them on 0121 472 1672 and hopefully be able to give you info about your dad.

Gary,

Assuming you do mean King Edwards School, New Street, Birmingham (prior to its 1936 move to Edgbaston)......

Some years ago I had dealings with the School Archivist and found her very helpful. Worth an approach and records must surely survive.

(There are one or two threads about the School in this Forum. Use the Forum Search function to unearth them or, better still - and this is a useful tip to find anything in the Forum more easily - do an ordinary Google search using the phrase
.... "birmingham history forum" king edwards new street.....
Here's one: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/king-edwards-school-new-street.9441/)

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Chris

hi gary you have posted this thread under the factories and offices section of the forum...i am moving it to the correct section which is schools..colleges and universities..could we please remind members to try and post where possible in the correct sections of our forum and also to use the search box to see if we already have a thread for the topic..by doing this it helps cut down the work our moderators have to do and by posting in the correct place you may receive more responses..

thanks

lyn
Thankyou. I am new to this not sure where to post.

PS I've just remembered: many years ago I pulled together a number of images of the school - interior and exterior - for convenience of viewing and they are still there -
http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/L4OtherReminiscencesstaffshg.shtml.
(it's safe to click on).

These will give you a pretty good idea of the School as it then still was when your father was there in the 1920s.

Chris
This is so help full. Images are great. Thankyou very much for all your help.

no problem gary...let us know how your research goes as we are always interested

lyn
I am trying to get a list of names just to verify that he did attend the school. Is there a contact at the school or a book with names? I live in Australia so I can not go to the school. Thankyou Gary,

hi gary as chris suggested on post 5 contact king edward school edgbaston explain what you are searching for and ask to speak to their archivist to see if they hold the schools old records i would imagine their records have been kept and if so they will search them for you and may even be able to email you the details for your dad...if they dont have them and they still exist they will point you in the right direction which could be the library of birmingham where many school records are stored..click on link below for their contact details..you can either phone them or email them but my first port of call would be the school itself especially as they do have their own archivist which looks promising ..good luck ..lyn

Last edited:
On this question of pupil lists........

I think it's worth emphasising just how valuable some sort of access to a list of pupils of this eminent school would be to those of us interested in the history of Birmingham and its inhabitants (and in some cases, like Gary's, for our own family research). This information is an integral part of the City's history. That's one of the reasons why it will be so interesting to hear from Gary about how he gets on with this exercise.

I wonder how the School would feel about making this part of its own history publicly and readily accessible, preferably online. Clearly, information about "recent" pupils could never appear; but a record dating back from, say, the 1920s or even the early 1930s, is unlikely to be objectionable to anyone. And the Victorian and Edwardian eras would be fascinating to many of us and would represent a really valuable contribution to our knowledge of Birmingham's history.

Chris

hi gary as chris suggested on post 5 contact king edward school edgbaston explain what you are searching for and ask to speak to their archivist to see if they hold the schools old records i would imagine their records have been kept and if so they will search them for you and may even be able to email you the details for your dad...if they dont have them and they still exist they will point you in the right direction which could be the library of birmingham where many school records are stored..click on link below for their contact details..you can either phone them or email them but my first port of call would be the school itself especially as they do have their own archivist which looks promising ..good luck ..lyn

Thankyou.

On this question of pupil lists........

I think it's worth emphasising just how valuable some sort of access to a list of pupils of this eminent school would be to those of us interested in the history of Birmingham and its inhabitants (and in some cases, like Gary's, for our own family research). This information is an integral part of the City's history. That's one of the reasons why it will be so interesting to hear from Gary about how he gets on with this exercise.

I wonder how the School would feel about making this part of its own history publicly and readily accessible, preferably online. Clearly, information about "recent" pupils could never appear; but a record dating back from, say, the 1920s or even the early 1930s, is unlikely to be objectionable to anyone. And the Victorian and Edwardian eras would be fascinating to many of us and would represent a really valuable contribution to our knowledge of Birmingham's history.

Chris
Thankyou Chris. My father was a bit of a mistery. He came to Australia as 19 yr old under the dreadnought Scheme in 1926. I have passenger list. However it wasn't until his death in 1991 when we found a birth certificate with a different name to his. He was a Leonard Wilkes. His Australian name was Leon Victor Davies. I don't know why he changed his name that is the mistery. I have documentation on official name change. He told us his family was killed in the war. After research I found that he had six sisters and several step brothers and sisters. I grew up not knowing of these aunts and uncles. I have researched and found all names etc and even have made contact with cousins in Birmingham. Anyway I appreciate all that you and Astoness have done to help me. I could write a book about him. One thing he loved his brimingham roots. Telling many stories, he played for the villa in the reserves 1922 23.

Back