• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

Mr. Holllingworth retired in July 1956, just prior to the move to Kings Heath, after 38 years at the school. I attach a press cutting reporting his retirement and also a photograph taken in the main corridor of the old school together with the Deputy Headmaster, Mr. P. W. Bates.

Attachments

• P1000863 (2).JPG
    P1000863 (2).JPG
    483.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1000868 (2).JPG
    P1000868 (2).JPG
    446.3 KB · Views: 42
I got on very well with Dai Thomas. It so happened that History was my best subject at "O" Level and I received a personal "well done" from him. However, the Sciences were not far behind in achievement and I focused on Chemistry for later studies and for my career.

Hi,

I have my memories of Dai too!

Many sore heads, and a lasting reminder in the shape of a crescent
shaped scar on my right wrist acquired when I was daft enough to
tackle him on the rugby field and one of his studs caught it.

I still think he was a great bloke though!

Happy days.

Kind regards
Dave

Last edited:
And finally, at least for me, my first ever alcoholic drink in a pub, the Red Lion, Vicarage Rd, was at the invitation of DI Thomas and Tony Appleby, after a tennis match between sixth formers and members of the staff.

I got on very well with Dai Thomas. It so happened that History was my best subject at "O" Level and I received a personal "well done" from him. However, the Sciences were not far behind in achievement and I focused on Chemistry for later studies and for my career.
Dave, just reading this(a little off topic). Every time I think about chemistry my eyes squint! For my BSME I was required to take 2 semesters or one year of chemistry (US). This was most painful for me. I did quite well at other sciences but chemistry was not one of those. I am glad that someone like you could manage it!

Couldn't find mention on BHF of the platinum jubilee of the Queen's ascension. Surely it's worth a line! It is one of the few "events" for which I can remember where I was. It was a Wednesday a.m. I was in my 1st year at Camp Hill, we were in the art room on the first floor above the labs, art master "tiger Warnes" went off for his mid lesson coffee/smoke when he returned he had us stand and he announced that George VI had died.

Surely Jim you do not mean Platinum jubilee, as that is later this year. you mean the actual ascension?

Surely Jim you do not mean Platinum jubilee, as that is later this year. you mean the actual ascension?
Wasn't really sure Mike, it's 70 years since Elizabeth became Queen.ie when her father died. The Platinum Jubilee is being held to coincide with the date of the Coronation but in fact it will only be 69 years since that happened.

A school photograph at KEGS Camp Hill for Boys was taken every two years. It involved the whole school of over 600 boys and approximately 30 staff. A panoramic camera was used which would slowly scan the group and resulted in a photograph 3 feet wide and 8 inches high. A portion of the central part of the photograph for 1956 (sixty-two years ago this month) is shown. I forget some of the names of the Masters but here goes: From left to right: 1, forget; 2, Epsley; 3, forget; 4, Budd; 5, Drysdale: 6, Bates; 7, Tom Rogers (Headmaster); 8, Hollingsworth; 9, forget; 10, Brown; 11, Fryer; 12, Dai Thomas; 13, forget; 14, Saunders/Sanders. Dave.

Attachments​

• P1000125.JPG
    P1000125.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 92
    Just come across this thread - just thought I would confirm that No3 is Ron Howe ( my father) who taught French.

Thanks Graham. It fills in a gap of those teachers who didn't teach me. I was taught French by Mr. Phelps and then Mr Swindon. Did you go to Camp Hill yourself? Oh, and a warm welcome to the Forum.

A school photograph at KEGS Camp Hill for Boys was taken every two years. It involved the whole school of over 600 boys and approximately 30 staff. A panoramic camera was used which would slowly scan the group and resulted in a photograph 3 feet wide and 8 inches high. A portion of the central part of the photograph for 1956 (sixty-two years ago this month) is shown. I forget some of the names of the Masters but here goes: From left to right: 1, forget; 2, Epsley; 3, forget; 4, Budd; 5, Drysdale: 6, Bates; 7, Tom Rogers (Headmaster); 8, Hollingsworth; 9, forget; 10, Brown; 11, Fryer; 12, Dai Thomas; 13, forget; 14, Saunders/Sanders. Dave.

Attachments​

• P1000125.JPG
    P1000125.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 92
    Just come across this thread - just thought I would confirm that No3 is Ron Howe ( my father) who taught French.
Have a distinct memory of your father playing the organ on "Speech Day" in Moseley Rd Institute perched in full academic robes high, and I mean high, above the stage.

Hi Ria,

Camp Hill Girls School was and still is situated next door to the Boys' school.
King Edward V1 Girls School at Handsworth is/was? a separate school.

Kind regards
Dave

Two of the King Edward's Schools in Birmingham are paired (two schools close to each other, one boys, one girls). The main school and Camp Hill have had that for over a century. There used to be two schools together on Stratford Road before the move to Kings Heath. There are also Boy's schools at Aston and Five Ways and a Girls school in Handsworth. There used to be a Girl's school on Bath Row and another Handsworth school at some point but they seem to have disappeared.

Back