• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

His university education was interrupted by war service. After demobilisation in 1946, he completed his M.A. and teacher training. His first teaching post was as classics master at Raynes Park School. In 1955 he was appointed as headmaster at Rastrick Grammar School in Yorkshire, and then in 1960 took over at Camp Hill.

His university education was interrupted by war service. After demobilisation in 1946, he completed his M.A. and teacher training. His first teaching post was as classics master at Raynes Park School. In 1955 he was appointed as headmaster at Rastrick Grammar School in Yorkshire, and then in 1960 took over at Camp Hill.
Ok, thanks for the update. Obviously a quality teacher... I'm so glad I found this thread, it's certainly refreshed my memory of my time there. My dad was an old boy of the original school, so he was pleased when I got in, but it was a stretch academically for me..I was not a scientist or mathematician, but enjoyed the rest of the subjects more..

Just came across this thread, so good to hear of names from the past, many almost forgotten. Sorry to hear of Johnny Cleak‘s death, can‘t be (m) any more masters left from my time there, 1954-1959.

Just came across this thread, so good to hear of names from the past, many almost forgotten. Sorry to hear of Johnny Cleak‘s death, can‘t be (m) any more masters left from my time there, 1954-1959.
I was 1953-1960....may I ask your name?...may remember you!

My father, D I Thomas, master at camp hill made this film and I helped him. Stephen Thomas, old boy
My reminisce of tht Great, Great man..
In first year History we did the Punic Wars and life in Roman Britain. For our first ever homework, an essay was required on this topic. Homework was new to most of us. The standard was not defined. We read the set text book, and did our best. But what did they want? We soon found out. The next lesson after handing it in remained with me forever

Dai. ”Thank you gentlemen. Thank you for your pathetic efforts on the civilising influence of Rome in Europe after the birth of our Lord. Rowlands, stand up lad”. Said with barely a pause between sentences.

Rowlands, a fragile faun from a private school crammer, duly stood nervously by the side of his desk.

Dai, ignoring Rowlands’ upright form for the moment, went on “ I’m now going to read you a little gem from Rowlands’ masterful pen”

Rowlands
, risking a little preen by now, stood taller as Dai slowly walked up and down the aisle between our desks, and when approaching him from behind continued:

Dai “For his troubles, Caius Maximus got a bellyful of Gallic steel“

Rowlands’ expression registered a frisson of alarm…

Dai, looking wistfully out of the window, repeated “A bellyful of Gallic steel?” in a tone you would use if the Police had just informed you that your Granny had been found in possession of crack cocaine, continued “And you lad, will get this backside full of Birmingham boot if you write this sort of rubbish again.”

The ‘thwack’, as his boot connected with Rowlands’ rear was matchless. The class fell about. Even Rowlands had to smile. Dai had set out his stall, gained total control, and instilled instant obedience in just over sixty seconds. He never looked back. I was soon to discover that all the good Masters had similar man management skills.

My reminisce of tht Great, Great man..
In first year History we did the Punic Wars and life in Roman Britain. For our first ever homework, an essay was required on this topic. Homework was new to most of us. The standard was not defined. We read the set text book, and did our best. But what did they want? We soon found out. The next lesson after handing it in remained with me forever

Dai. ”Thank you gentlemen. Thank you for your pathetic efforts on the civilising influence of Rome in Europe after the birth of our Lord. Rowlands, stand up lad”. Said with barely a pause between sentences.

Rowlands, a fragile faun from a private school crammer, duly stood nervously by the side of his desk.

Dai, ignoring Rowlands’ upright form for the moment, went on “ I’m now going to read you a little gem from Rowlands’ masterful pen”

Rowlands
, risking a little preen by now, stood taller as Dai slowly walked up and down the aisle between our desks, and when approaching him from behind continued:

Dai “For his troubles, Caius Maximus got a bellyful of Gallic steel“

Rowlands’ expression registered a frisson of alarm…

Dai, looking wistfully out of the window, repeated “A bellyful of Gallic steel?” in a tone you would use if the Police had just informed you that your Granny had been found in possession of crack cocaine, continued “And you lad, will get this backside full of Birmingham boot if you write this sort of rubbish again.”

The ‘thwack’, as his boot connected with Rowlands’ rear was matchless. The class fell about. Even Rowlands had to smile. Dai had set out his stall, gained total control, and instilled instant obedience in just over sixty seconds. He never looked back. I was soon to discover that all the good Masters had similar man management skills.

Just catching up on forum posts. I can't help but see this as bullying & taking advantage of relative positions.

Thank goodness this sort of "man management" [actually child management] has no place in modern teaching.

I would hope that the Punic wars would have by now been submerged under more important history. The ridiculous emphasis on them and Latin over other far more important things has produced far too many pedants with nothing important to say, but who say it loudly

Last edited:
A few years later we were being taught, by the same teacher, about the Napoleonic Wars. I have to say that I found it very interesting and did quite well at "O" Level history. I, personally, did not experience any bullying or sarcasm in this context. I missed out on the Punic Wars, perhaps just as well, not arriving at Camp Hill until 1954.

Hi Dave,

I don't remember the Punic Wars either, but I did incur the wrath of Dai with the customary thick ear response
on a few occasions. Didn't do me any harm, it was always deserved, and he was my favourite teacher for whom
I had the greatest respect.
I still have a scar on my right wrist from when he trod on my arm during a rugby
tackle, and every time I notice it, I remember him with affection.

Kind regards
Dave.

I'm another that remembers DI.Thomas with affection, he was my first year form master in 1951.
Didn't go on to take "O" Level history but I do remember him along with Tony Appleby taking us to buy a pint in the Red Lion, King's Heath after a School v Staff tennis match.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just a couple of pics which were taken on Sports Day back in the late 50's.
Farmerdave posted the one of Holy Hovis a couple of years ago and I have just
rediscovered that one, together with a close up which I have attached.
Also one of Dr. 'Spud' Kober, 'Polly' Bates, and I think Mr Blackwell ?

I bet some will remember these pics with a good dose of nostalgia!

Kind regards
Dave

Attachments

• Scan_0001.jpg
    Scan_0001.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Scan_0002.jpg
    Scan_0002.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Scan_0003.jpg
    Scan_0003.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 19
Brings back memories. Can’t place Polly Bates’s companion. Could it have been Bert Blackshaw who taught German ?

Hi Enrico,
Yes, thats the name I couldn't quite rmember, he was the Form Master for 2G
Many thanks.

Kind regards
Dave.

Hi,

Just a couple of pics which were taken on Sports Day back in the late 50's.
Farmerdave posted the one of Holy Hovis a couple of years ago and I have just
rediscovered that one, together with a close up which I have attached.
Also one of Dr. 'Spud' Kober, 'Polly' Bates, and I think Mr Blackwell ?

I bet some will remember these pics with a good dose of nostalgia!

Kind regards
Dave
My time there was 1966-71, Polly was Dep. Head then; he taught my dad pre-war...when we went for the open day before I was accepted, we met him, and my Dad was 'surprised' to see him still teaching - he had a chat, and there was a possibility that Polly remembered him, and his brother, who was also an Old Boy.

My time there was 1966-71, Polly was Dep. Head then; he taught my dad pre-war...when we went for the open day before I was accepted, we met him, and my Dad was 'surprised' to see him still teaching - he had a chat, and there was a possibility that Polly remembered him, and his brother, who was also an Old Boy.
I should have been the year after you and, as I remember it the Deputy Head was called Saunders.

My memory told me that when I started, Polly was Dep Head, then Geoff Sanders took over.. Might be wrong... He did take some maths lessons in my 4th & fifth years, I think, might have been 3rd & 4th, alongside Dan Matthews, who between them, got me a pass at O level... What a struggle.. Blooming quadratic equations, the only time I've ever used them since was trying to help my eldest son with his maths homework from his grammar school...

I don't think anyone has mentioned that both the schools, Camp Hill and Kings Heath had Eton Fives courts. I don't recall the game being played competitively only as a "playtime" recreation. Memory prompted by Michael Portillo recently playing at a school on one of his endless train journeys.

Hi Jim,

If I remember correctly, the court at the old school didn't have a roof'
There were 2 courts at Kings Heath, which were roofed, and I have a
vague recollection that some games were played there after school, but I
don't know if they were part of a competition.

I do remember that they were very useful as shelters if it was raining at
break/dinner time.

Kind regards
Dave

I don't think anyone has mentioned that both the schools, Camp Hill and Kings Heath had Eton Fives courts. I don't recall the game being played competitively only as a "playtime" recreation. Memory prompted by Michael Portillo recently playing at a school on one of his endless train journeys.
Fives was played competitively between teams representing the four houses

In my time at Camp Hill, Kings Heath, 1966-71 the two covered fives courts were always used at break & dinner times for recreational use, played a lot myself, using tennis balls. There were, I can confirm as above, that there were inter-house fives games, with gloves and proper hard balls...which blooming hurt if you copped one! It was a good game, which some chaps were very good at, the use of the brick wall to one side of the step was a cunning target for the ball, I recall, foxing your opponent..

, the use of the brick wall to one side of the step was a cunning target for the ball, I recall, foxing your opponent..
"the butress"? Only ever played with a tennis ball, no gloves. Don't think fives were included in House Competitions between 51-58.

There are lots of references to inter-house fives in 1950s editions of the School Chronicle. Wonderful to be able to read all the school magazines online in digitized format, going all the way back to 1885

There are lots of references to inter-house fives in 1950s editions of the School Chronicle. Wonderful to be able to read all the school magazines online in digitized format, going all the way back to 1885
School Mag was called Vivat during at least part of my time at the school. Mark, is there a link to look at these magazines.

I remember trying to play on the courts at the old school but there was no booking system and we were usually evicted by older boys. When we moved to Kings Heath there was a booking system but by then other interests had taken over. Google Earth shows one of the Camp Hill courts still in use, now a storage bay. On a visit to the Kings Heath site a few years ago , I could find no trace of the courts, but it was dark and my sight is not as it was .

I remember trying to play on the courts at the old school but there was no booking system and we were usually evicted by older boys. When we moved to Kings Heath there was a booking system but by then other interests had taken over. Google Earth shows one of the Camp Hill courts still in use, now a storage bay. On a visit to the Kings Heath site a few years ago , I could find no trace of the courts, but it was dark and my sight is not as it was .
On Google I noticed that the Camp Hill courts were being used for car parking.
I visited Kings Heath a while ago, it must have been around 2000! and I don't recall seeing the courts then, fashions change.

On Google I noticed that the Camp Hill courts were being used for car parking.
I visited Kings Heath a while ago, it must have been around 2000! and I don't recall seeing the courts then, fashions change.
I believe the fives courts went in 2008, when the old gym was converted into a two-storey block. They retained the look of the courts in the design, when viewed from the playground side.

Back