• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

farmerdave

master brummie
Mr. Holllingworth retired in July 1956, just prior to the move to Kings Heath, after 38 years at the school. I attach a press cutting reporting his retirement and also a photograph taken in the main corridor of the old school together with the Deputy Headmaster, Mr. P. W. Bates.

Attachments

• P1000863 (2).JPG
    P1000863 (2).JPG
    483.2 KB · Views: 9
  • P1000868 (2).JPG
    P1000868 (2).JPG
    446.3 KB · Views: 8

farmerdave

master brummie
I got on very well with Dai Thomas. It so happened that History was my best subject at "O" Level and I received a personal "well done" from him. However, the Sciences were not far behind in achievement and I focused on Chemistry for later studies and for my career.

Dave89

master brummie
Hi,

I have my memories of Dai too!

Many sore heads, and a lasting reminder in the shape of a crescent
shaped scar on my right wrist acquired when I was daft enough to
tackle him on the rugby field and one of his studs caught it.

I still think he was a great bloke though!

Happy days.

Kind regards
Dave

Last edited:

devonjim

master brummie
We took great delight one Monday morning being able to write on the class blackboard "England 3 Wales Nil" Solely for DI Thomas's benefit of course.

devonjim

master brummie
And finally, at least for me, my first ever alcoholic drink in a pub, the Red Lion, Vicarage Rd, was at the invitation of DI Thomas and Tony Appleby, after a tennis match between sixth formers and members of the staff.