• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

Hi Jim,

If I remember correctly, the court at the old school didn't have a roof'
There were 2 courts at Kings Heath, which were roofed, and I have a
vague recollection that some games were played there after school, but I
don't know if they were part of a competition.

I do remember that they were very useful as shelters if it was raining at
break/dinner time.

Kind regards
Dave

I don't think anyone has mentioned that both the schools, Camp Hill and Kings Heath had Eton Fives courts. I don't recall the game being played competitively only as a "playtime" recreation. Memory prompted by Michael Portillo recently playing at a school on one of his endless train journeys.
Fives was played competitively between teams representing the four houses

In my time at Camp Hill, Kings Heath, 1966-71 the two covered fives courts were always used at break & dinner times for recreational use, played a lot myself, using tennis balls. There were, I can confirm as above, that there were inter-house fives games, with gloves and proper hard balls...which blooming hurt if you copped one! It was a good game, which some chaps were very good at, the use of the brick wall to one side of the step was a cunning target for the ball, I recall, foxing your opponent..

, the use of the brick wall to one side of the step was a cunning target for the ball, I recall, foxing your opponent..
"the butress"? Only ever played with a tennis ball, no gloves. Don't think fives were included in House Competitions between 51-58.

There are lots of references to inter-house fives in 1950s editions of the School Chronicle. Wonderful to be able to read all the school magazines online in digitized format, going all the way back to 1885

There are lots of references to inter-house fives in 1950s editions of the School Chronicle. Wonderful to be able to read all the school magazines online in digitized format, going all the way back to 1885
School Mag was called Vivat during at least part of my time at the school. Mark, is there a link to look at these magazines.

I remember trying to play on the courts at the old school but there was no booking system and we were usually evicted by older boys. When we moved to Kings Heath there was a booking system but by then other interests had taken over. Google Earth shows one of the Camp Hill courts still in use, now a storage bay. On a visit to the Kings Heath site a few years ago , I could find no trace of the courts, but it was dark and my sight is not as it was .

I remember trying to play on the courts at the old school but there was no booking system and we were usually evicted by older boys. When we moved to Kings Heath there was a booking system but by then other interests had taken over. Google Earth shows one of the Camp Hill courts still in use, now a storage bay. On a visit to the Kings Heath site a few years ago , I could find no trace of the courts, but it was dark and my sight is not as it was .
On Google I noticed that the Camp Hill courts were being used for car parking.
I visited Kings Heath a while ago, it must have been around 2000! and I don't recall seeing the courts then, fashions change.

On Google I noticed that the Camp Hill courts were being used for car parking.
I visited Kings Heath a while ago, it must have been around 2000! and I don't recall seeing the courts then, fashions change.
I believe the fives courts went in 2008, when the old gym was converted into a two-storey block. They retained the look of the courts in the design, when viewed from the playground side.

Back