• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Edward Grammar School WW1

hweatherall

Brummie babby
My grandfather Thomas Henry Jenkins and his two brothers, John Richard Jenkins b 1896 and Harry Jenkins b 1898 attended King Edward Grammar School.

John Richard Jenkins joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 14th Battalion as Private 631. He went to France in November 1915 and died of wounds 24 January 1916. He had lost a leg. I believe his name is on the KEG Roll of Honour.

Harry Jenkins I believe also joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment possibly Private 265413 according to a medal roll index card, but I can not find any further information on him. He was also killed. I think he is not on the KEG Roll of Honour, but feel he should be, but need to establish more information for him.

The parents of the brothers were Richard Thomas Whittaker Jenkins and Emma Jenkins of 183, Aston Lane, Perry Bar, Handsworth.

Can anyone help find more information on Harry Jenkins?

I can't find a Harry Jenkins who fits the description above listed in CWGC or on Ancestry in military records.

Did Thomas marry a Martha? If so then they plus a Harry are listed on the 1920 electoral roll.

Janice

Hi Janice. I had drawn a blank with CWGC for Harry. I found a medal index card on Ancestry but do not know if it is one and the same Harry Jenkins.

Thomas Henry Jenkins married Esther Nichols. 1911census has all five children at 183, Aston Lane with Richard Thomas W Jenkins and Emma Lyons, who was Emma Jenkins sister. Emma Jenkins was a midwife and I presume was on call during this census. Thomas Henry Jenkins was a school teacher at Aston Commercial School, which was previously the Aston Higher Elementary School. He started teaching in 1911 and continued for 47 years. He became senior History Master. he was also on the staff of Birmingham City Police School at Digbeth and was there for 37 years and was Principal when he retired in 1957. He was also twice president of the National Union of Teachers. Like his younger brother John Richard Jenkins, he was an active sportsman and captained Aston Old Edwardians cricket and rugby teams. Thomas Henry Jenkins was also F./Lt T.H.Jenkins in in 1946, the commanding officer for Handsworth A.T.C 491 Squadron.

Harry Jenkins continues to allude. I have a photograph and family recollections but no firm WW1 records. I am not even certain that he joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, only that his brother John Richard Jenkins did, and the possibility of the medal roll index card being his and showing that he was. I know he died in WW1. The loss of the two two younger brothers caused Sally Jenkins to also lose her life, and only the two older siblings survived the war years.

In that case we perhaps have to assume that he either he was not in the Royal Warwicks or he was known by a different name. (I had that problem with great uncle Harry who was known as John (his first name) in the army - this came as a complete surprise to my Dad who knew him all his life as Uncle Harry.) Do you know if he had another name as well as Harry (was it Harry or is that short for something?

Janice

J R Jenkins Royal Warwickshire Regiment is mentioned in the Birmingham Roll of Honour. There is also a H E Jenkins mentioned serving with the 21st Bn. Kings Royal Rifle Corps. This is Y/372 Harry Jenkins from Birmingham KIA 20/09/1917. Only problem is according to the CWGC he is the Son of Mr. and Mrs. H. A. Jenkins, of 54, Leonard St., Soho, Birmingham. The only other H Jenkins I can find from Birmingham who was killed was Henry Jenkins 147489, 504th Bty. 65th Bde, Royal Field Artillery who died 12/08/1918 born & enlisted in Birmingham. There are only 5 records of soldiers killed with the number 265413 non of which are Jenkins or Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Hi Janice and 'Old Bill'
Harry Jenkins was born on the 15 April 1898. His Birth Certificate names him Harry. Born 15 Holdford Road, Handsworth: Registration District West Bromwich. As far as I am aware he was not called by any other name. I think he is known as Harry Jenkins at KEG School also.

John Richard Jenkins was wounded on the 6th January 1916, had his leg amputated on the 16th January 1916 and died on the 24th January 1916. He was 20 years old. At the time of his death Harry Jenkins would have been 17, approaching 18 in three months. According to my grandmother he wanted to 'shoot the Germans' who had caused his brothers death!

If he enlisted when he was 18 I would imagine he would not be sent abroad until late 1916 early 1917.

I have looked at the record for the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and discounted it because of the parents names. Henry Jenkins 147489 could be a possibility, do you have any indication of parents names for him?

I do have the medal rolls index card for a Harry Jenkins, Royal Warwickshire Regiment where his number is 265413. I will try to attach it.

Harry Jenkins Medal Card.jpg

Hi again

I think you will find that 265413 Harry Jenkins survived the war hence there being no records on CWGs or Soldiers Died. Often if they were killed it is put onto the MIC. Unfortunately I have no other information on 147489 Henry Jenkins.

Tony

The Archivist for the King Edwards Grammar school foundation is collating information of all former pupils of the schools that served in WW1. Her name is Alison Wheatley.

Terry

Hello Helen

I am reluctant to give Allison's email out without her permission. Can you send me a private message through forum. I have tried to send you one but as a new member I do not know if you can receive them. Otherwise google King Edwards Birmingham and there will be contact details and someone will put you through to Alison

Regards

Terry

PS
School office:
Telephone: 0121 472 1672
Fax: 0121 415 4327
Email: [email protected]

Back