• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Edgar pub

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Paul Braddon painted this watercolour of the King Edgar pub. It is/was supposed to be in Birmingham but I can’t place it. Any ideas ?
The bridge somehow just doesn’t look to me to be in Birmingham.
I don’t have a date for the painting but we know Brandon produced retrospective views of Birmingham in the late 1800s -1930s. Viv.

C5F1A24A-23DA-41D8-88C3-8439B24A0286.jpeg

Last edited:
In 1862 the King Edward VI Pub (17 Parade) was the only King Edward in Birmingham

These were the King Edward Pubs in Birmingham 1908

King Edward Lichfield road Aston
King Edward inn Corporation Street
King Edward VI 17 Parade

There is a King Edgar in Rossano in Italy !. Do not have photo. There is also Ye Olde Edgar in Chester, which , from the modern photo, does have a resemblance to the painting

ye olde edgar.jpg

Yes Paul Braddon and King Edgar. Auto correct at work ! Have edited my post.

Mike’s Chester pub looks a good possibility. I’m almost certain it’s not Birmingham, not only does the name seem unlikely but it doesn’t look like Birmingham. Viv.

Had a look on Streetview and, looking at the buildings alongside and the details of the pub, I’m certain it’s in Chester - Shipgate Street.

Thanks all, especially Mike. Another one solved. Viv.

0E78DFF6-869D-4F22-97A9-1CB76A73AD86.jpeg

looks odds on the Edgar in Chester, Feb 1894, note description of the Inn sign. Edgar on the Dee.

AA6D6A48-6E28-4DFC-A486-123163C6AB76.jpeg

Back