• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Cole Perambulators

Rosemary Oldridge

proper brummie kid
Does anyone have any information about King Cole Perambulators? Arthur Cole was listed in 1911 as living in Aston and being a perambulator retailer. I am researching the Cole family for friends. Any help would be much appreciated. Roma.

The 1912 edition of Kellys lists a Thomas Henry Cole, perambulator manufacturer, at 45 & 107 Digbeth. Possibly related? The only Arthur Coles listed are a hairdresser and a beer retailer

Wow. That's a quick response. Many thanks. Yes, I'm fairly sure the Digbeth company wold be the same. Also, you are quite right about the beer retailer. Arthur Cole was in the 1901 census as a beer retailer. Bit of an entrepreneur! A family friend can remember Arthur's wife or daughter sewing the hoods for the prams as late as the 1950s, so I'm surprised I've drawn a blank so far. Maybe other forum members will recall the company. Thanks again.

Can anyone remember King Cole Perambulators/Prams? It was established by Arthur Henry Cole in the 1890s. I think it was in Digbeth. Arthur Cole was listed in the 1939 register as being a "retired" perambulator manufacturer, but a friend of mine remembers the company still operating in the 1950s. Any recollections would be welcome.

Does anyone have any information about King Cole Perambulators? Arthur Cole was listed in 1911 as living in Aston and being a perambulator retailer. I am researching the Cole family for friends. Any help would be much appreciated. Roma.
My grandfather was Thomas Henry Cole who had King Cole Perambulators Business. I see in the 1907 Kelly’s directory there is listed Alfred George Cole as a perambulator manufacturer. Alfred was was grandfather’s eldest brother. In 1912 the business is registered at 45&107 Digbeth but Alfred is not named at all. It is also registered in the 1919 register and also the 1922 register but solely in my grandfather’s name and only at 108 Digbeth.

Hello Pippin, So wonderful to hear from you! I had almost given up hope of anyone knowing anything about King Cole Prams. My friend is the son of Helen Cole, so she must have been your grand-father's little sister. I was building Malcolm a family tree (on Ancestry.com) but I haven't looked at it for ages as I'd hit a brick wall. The only thing I would say is that I hadn't got an Alfred George. I had a George F, but I must be wrong, so I'll look at the tree again. I can't work out what relation you must be to Malcolm, but I'm sure you can work it out. You must be blood relatives. Wonderful! I've just sent him an email with news of your message. I'm sure he'll be delighted! You don't by any chance have any photographs of any members of the family do you? Look forward to hearing from you again. Best wishes, Roma.

Looking at my family tree my grandfather’s brother Alfred George Cole had three children the youngest being Helen Cole born in 1890. I do have a photo of my grandfather with his three brothers which looks like they are at a wedding as they all have button holes. Alfred George is the eldest of the family and was 13 years older than my grandfather. I will try and send you a copy sometime but it may take me sometime to do this. My cousin who has done all the research and the family tree has a lot more knowledge than I have and has been doing this for over twenty years so I have today sent your post to him and he is going to register with the history forum. I also have an original poster of King Cole Prams which I need to get repaired as it is taped up on the back with parcel tape but it is very large and the colours are vibrant and have not faded at all. I have a photo of this on my iPad and could try and send you a copy. Hope this information help. Alfred also had two sisters. Pippin

Hello again, Pippin. I can't believe you have a poster of King Cole Prams. I've been trying for ages to get some more information about the company. I would absolutely love it if you are able to let me see an image of the poster. I'll do some more research about the family tree tomorrow and get back to you. Most grateful. Roma.

Hello again, Pippin. If it is of use/help, Very much looking forward to hearing from you again. Cheers. Roma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a good idea to post emails on the forum - anyone can see them. Use the "conversation" which is private - the envelope in top right. Or click on name of person by their avatar and "start conversation".

I was introduced to the Forum by my cousin 'Pippin' yesterday. Thomas Henry Cole who founded the Old King Cole perambulators was my grandfather too. I have a photograph of the factory taken in the 1920s showing the factory manager in a suit, the foreman in a filthy overall and my dad in a spotless white overall. My dad was sacked shortly afterwards for being idle! I will post the photo this week when I've sorted out how this Forum works. I have been tracing the Cole family history for many years and it is on Ancestry but does need some updating. I will start to do this and perhaps we can work out how we all link up.

This is wonderful. I don't know how you all link up, but it seems to me that there are several cousins/ grand-children of Thomas Henry Cole who may or may not be in contact with each other. My link is that my son is married to one of Malcolm's daughters. Malcolm is the son of Helen Cole. Does that help you? I think that Malcolm would love to see the photo, if he hasn't seen it already. Regards, Roma.

Back