• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Charles 1st & Kingstanding Road

There's also another Danish encampment which was listed in The Gentleman's Magazine of 1823. It cites a Danish encampment at Kings-standing was erected in the year 910 for the battles of Tettenhall and Wednesfield. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390853704.402927.jpg

Hi
At the back of my mind I have a memory of an article about King Charles 1st in Birmingham.
Marshalling his troops near what is now Kingstanding Road. There used to be a pub called the King Charles nearby, now replaced by houses. It was said that near the top of the hill a mound of earth was thrown up so that his troops could see him.
Could someone confirm if this was true!
Lesg128 (an 'ancient' born and bred Brummie)

King Charles Mound.jpgYes I can confirm that. I lived in Kingstanding when I was a Nipper and the Mound you speak of was just around the corner from our house. There used to be a clump of trees there surrounded by a six foot high fence and inside there was a trench that had rock walls built up. We used to climb over the fence to get in the trench and play soldiers. It was right at the top of kingstanding road. It isn't there now the fence has gone the trench has been filled in and there is only one tree left.
Hope this was of some help to your question.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Hi Wallyb 71
Many thanks for your prompt reply about The Mound in Kingstanding. You sparked my interest on this matter and I have looked on Wickipedia to find out more. Apparently it was an ancient burial site called Bowl Barrow. It must be quite ancient. Is it possible that when you played soldiers in the trench behind the fence that some archeological dig was going on. Your photograph shows the present day position exactly.
Apparently some people say that the name was originally 'Kings' standing where in days of 'yore' the reigning King would wait whilst his servants would drive deer out of the woods so that he could kill the deer as they stampeded by.
I have noticed over the past month that up by King Georges Field, a bit higher up the road, an area has been fenced off which I assumed was for some new construction but now wonder whether some more archeological excavations are going on. I must take a closer look.
Thanks again.
Lesg128

Do keep us posted Lesg. Be very good news if there is a dig about to take place there. I've always believed that archaeologically Kingstanding has more to offer. Pity that more attention wasn't given to it prior to the 1920/30s development. But better late than never. Viv.

The fenced off area has been used by the workmen laying a new water pipe on behalf of Seven Trent between the reservoirs at the top of Rough Road and the one on Barr Beacon. Work began in August and the site has now been cleared of contractors equipment and is now fenced waiting for the grass to grow. Hope this information has been of some help to you.

Lesg, No there was no digging going on, the trench was about 10-12Ft long and about 4ft wide and both sides were lined with stone.At that time when we played in it there must have been 6-10 trees and it was covered with grass and weeds. We used to have a lot of fun in there playing soldiers. Glad I could help, it brings back nice memories since I am an old man now.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Hello Wally, we lived at 938 Kingstanding Road, (exactly opposite the mound on the service road) and I believe my dad moved into the house when it was built. I grew up there with our kid from 1946 and left when I got married in 1971. There was a substantial fence around the site when we were kids and plenty of substantial trees as well. At least one of the trees was a sycamore. Also, the actual field was very rough land back then, not mown like it is now. We used to have great fun in there but, unfortunately, it looks a sorry sight nowadays. Regards, Mike G.

Back