• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kindon James

ADELE

master brummie
Hi
I really need help to find the birth of James Kindon born about 1795 to 1801 in or around Stourbridge, one census says he came from Lovington.
Just would like to find an entry in parish records so i could try and work back on his parents family.
A few other people have been working on the Kindon family and we have done really well sharing info, but James doesnt want to be found haha.
Adele

Re: James Kindon

Please any one help me find James Kindon. I really do not know how to further my info on him. We have him on census and know of his death but i want his birth.
Adele

hi adele, i know your james was born in stourbridge and i cant find anything on the igi records but i have a few records for st. marys chapel in the parish of st. martins bham and this is listed

james kindon baptised 27 jan 1803 son of charles and elizabeth kindon

that is all the info supplied. hope its your james :)

also found another child baptised at st. marys chapel. eliza catherine kindon, with parents charles and elizabeth kindon. it is listed twice (18 feb 1806 and 5 march 1806)

in "wrightsons new directory" 1818 there is a james kindon listed as - dealer in metals, agent to john freeman and copper company, royal exchange assurance office, broad street.

Shera
you are a star. James worked as an edge tool plater with hammer so that obviously was the metal trade. As for him being babtised in Birminghnam i hadnt even thought of that, i was convinced he would have been babtised in stourbridge. He spent all of his working years in the same trade along with his son.
There are 3 of us all in the forum chasing the Kindon family, so far we have a really good picture of them from abot 1840 all the way up to 1900, by then my family had married and changed there names but i think you have put us in the direction we need to go.
T

Shera
Aww not sure what i did then. Hadnt finished typing.
Thankyou again for your help, all the best for the new year.
Adele

my pleasure adele but dont take it as a definite just in case its another family

happy new year to you too :)

I will look into it more but i feel lucky with this info, Kindon is a fairly unusual name , whilst looking i rarely come across the surname.
You amaze me with where you know what to look for, and very kind for helping others.
Ta Adele

Hi Shera,i along with Adele am interested in James Kindon as he is my gt gt gt Grandad.
I have viewed the St Mary's Old Swinford baptism records covering 1768 yo 1819 and found eleven Kindons but no James.
Are the St Mary chapel records you have kindly checked the same as the ones kept in the Birmingham Central Library?
Moss.

i presume they would be at the central library but i have the "birmingham miscellany" cd which i purchased from bmsgh. im not sure this is the correct family as james was born stourbridge, but perhaps the family moved between bham and stourbridge as i see there were a lot of kindons in that area.

i meant to add it is - chapel of st. mary, parish of st martin baptisms 1774-1812

Last edited:

Thanks Shera,
Is it likely that he may not have been baptised in those days.
I take it that this is the only record of a birth,or were there registry offices in those days?
Moss.

no i think thats it moss. just a baptism, so not much to go on. the full records only began in 1837

just been searching my st. martins bham records and there is this marriage - charles kindon and elizabeth kempson - by licence on 24 feb 1802. this looks likely for the parents.

there is also a burial at st. martins of thomas kindon son of elizabeth on 13th feb 1809

and a burial of elizabeth kindon aged 75yrs on 25th dec 1842. abode is ann street. hope this helps.

there is still a hope that this is the correct family from stourbridge as 2 of the main reasons for a marriage by licence was that the couple wished to avoid the 3 weeks by calling banns or they may wish to marry in a parish away from their home parish

Shera i dont know if you will be able to see this part copy of 1861 census,we have read his place of birth as Old Swinford.
Moss.

there is just a chance though that the parents went back to that area where their relatives were to have the baby, then came back to bham afterwards. its only a possibility but if you cant find any james in stourbridge area maybe it is him. worth keeping in mind anyway. one of the censuses i saw james kindon on it said born in stourbridge. i think old swinford is in stourbridge anyway.

Hi Shera and Maurice,
only just put the computer on, missed out on the chit chat haha.
I did have a look on the census for the Kindons in the Stourbridge area, i would very much like to try and build a picture of who is related to who and see where James and his parents came in. I guess Birmingham wasnt really that far from Stourbridge, easy to travel to Halesowen and then in to Quinton and then the city centre.
Maurice do you think we are getting a bit closer to tracing James, i did email you and Dorothy with the find.
Happy new year to you and your family as well.
Adele

Hi
I seem to be making a bit of head way from the mormom site who was related to who, i realise not all of the records are always correct. Maurice could you let me have the names of the Kindons you have with dates, it might just all fit in together nicely bbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuttttttttttt i might just be having a dream.
Adele

Hi Adele,
I just noticed the Kindon link in my Kempson family ties. Charles Kindon married Elizabeth Kempson, the daughter of Peter Kempson of Birmingham who manufactured numerous Tokens and had several businesses on the go in central Birmingham. His children on my line became Surveyors/Surgeons etc and also descended to James Kempson, the musical originator of Birmingham - leading to the building of the Town Hall. Have a search on this site and on internet for details.
Regards
Steve

Hi cousin, I am a great (x7) grandchild of Peter Kempson token coin maker. I am following a side line of his son Peter Kempson and wife Mary who moved to Australia in the 1850s to a town named Clunes where he opened up the first school. We have quite the family tree with so many interesting people off my main line. So you are related to John the surveyor? I've heard about him and of course to the silversmith Peter. I found some nice silver items made by him on Ebay that I now have with a loaf of his tokens to pass on to my brothers kids who have Kempson as their middle name. Nice to "meet" you. Ancestry was my main stay at home hobby during this COVID timeframe.

Back