• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kindle Users

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Any users of Kindle on here? If so, are you, or have you used the free e-book management programme Calibre? I have downloaded it and to be honest I am struggling to work out how to use it, I have looked at the video and it still has'nt sunk in yet. The programme actually looks useful but before I start wasting time trying to learn it, has anyone used it and is it worth using. Do a search on google for ' calibre' to have a look at it or go to their site directly https://calibre-ebook.com/

Terry

Thanks Terry I will pass on that link to the son as he has one and the granddaughter. If he uses it and it is good I will let you know. Jean.

Terry, my daughter has tried it and says it is good once you get to grips with it, but has said for mom and myself - both Christmas Kindle recipients - not to bother as it will confuse us lol! - can't stand cheeky ids! However as mom and I are a bit technophobic, she is probably right not to confuse us with it.
Sue

Yes, I use Calibre.

It will allow you to find and purchase a book by any e-publisher in the world and will convert it to run in the format that your e-reader uses (including the Kindle and Kobo).

I was looking for a book that was not on the Amazon list, used Calibre, found it on an American list in another format, downloaded it, converted it - all for £2.50 and the conversion was quick and accurate.

To use it to find a book, click on GET BOOKS on the top level symbols and type in the name of the book or author you need in the Query Bar.

You will quickly see a list of books that will include the one you are looking for (if available). Books will be multiple-listed if available from several publishers.

I haven't tried it yet, but I would be wary about those with a red lock-symbol alongside if they are not directly formatted for your e-reader in case they don't convert.

Choose the book, download it, close the query window and the book should be showing in the list on the main home page.

If you need to convert it, highlight it and press the CONVERT BOOKS symbol.

When converted, you can then transfer it to your Kindle via the USB connection.

There are many other uses for Calibre which include changing the way the book is catalogued and there is also an e-reader built into it for reading on your computer screen.

I have not tried out everything yet, but have found that what I have used has been fairly intuitive and does exactly what it says it will.

Thoroughly recommended - especially as it is completely free.

Thank you for that info. It's given me encouragement to have a go at trying to use it.

Terry

Linda is using it on her shiny new Sony Reader and thinks it is magic. Go for it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Any users of Kindle on here? If so, are you, or have you used the free e-book management programme Calibre? I have downloaded it and to be honest I am struggling to work out how to use it, I have looked at the video and it still has'nt sunk in yet. The programme actually looks useful but before I start wasting time trying to learn it, has anyone used it and is it worth using. Do a search on google for ' calibre' to have a look at it or go to their site directly https://calibre-ebook.com/

Terry
Hi Terry - I have been instructed by 'she who must be obeyed' to say a big big thank you for the tip about Calibre. Linda was given a Sony E-Reader for Christmas and was having some problems particularly with Kindle Books. Calibre plus a small plug in was all that was need to sort it all out for her.

Downside is she now reads it in bed and I am thinking of citing it in my divorce plea - just kidding.

Again many thanks from both of us.

Bernie

Hi Bernie, glad to be of help, I have managed to download a couple of books, though as yet I have'nt really got into it, but I will spend a bit of time on it in the next few days and try and master it. Please dont cite me as the other man, the wife would'nt understand:fat:

Terry

Last edited:
I bought a Kindle Fire and found out that ebooks for Kindle are not compatible. Downloaded Calibre and converted them and all now ok

Back