• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kimberley - Live Bait Dealer, 1 Key Hill

SarahHolmes

master brummie
Hi all
I know my great great grandparents had a Live Bait shop for about 10 years, up until about 1905 I believe, at 1 (or 1a) Key Hill. It was registered under Thomas Kimberley but it seems as though his wife Mary Ann worked in the shop.

I have found listings, but I'm wondering where to look for pictures?

There is also a family rumour that Thomas (apparently an alcoholic who liked to beat his wife) killed Mary by pushing her where upon she hit her head and died :shock:. It is said it was recorded as accidental death but that their sons took their own form of punishment on their father. I'm going to send for her death certificate see if I can shed any light on this. Frustratingly I can't find a record of their marriage.

Anyhow, if anyone knows where I can find pictures of Key Hill from that period I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Sarah

Sarah, I have a picture of the actual building. My gt gt gt grandfathr had the house next door, No 2. His son took over the house and business when he died and they were there until late 1890's and then they left, but returned, and again left in 1908. I have a scan I can lay my hands on easily, but it is not as clear as the bromide print I have got. Bear with me, I shall be back shortly.

Shortie

Oooh Shortie that would be great.
Interestingly, after Mary died, Thomas is living at number 2 Key Hill with his 2 youngest daughters according to the 1911 census.
Thanks loads
Sarah

Sarah, I have not been able to find Thomas on the 1911, so a copy would be useful to me please, if you can. I am looking for my photo, but I have just been informed that my husband is going to watch the football on computer so I shall be banished from this room! I will get back to you post football!

Shortie

Thanks Sarah - I always wondered how many rooms it had - at one time there were about ten people living in this house. However, the kitchen would have been a separate room, or perhaps it did not have a kitchen, just a fire with ovens each side. . I still cannot find my proper copy, I am now allowed back into this room because my husband is not happy with the link to the football - it was on French TV. My Thomas was in the workhouse by 1911, and I have no idea why - possibly could not look after himself. He was still working whilst in the workhouse and he was not senile or anything. Stiill looking for photo.

Shortie

Oh that's sad that he ended up in the workhouse.
Interestingly there doesn't seem to be a 1911 census for 1 Key Hill, which may explain why mine have moved to number 2?!

Thanks for your hard work looking for the photo, I can't wait to see it.
S

Hi Sarah, it is sad, but several thing have entered my mind. Several of his children did very well indeed, one died in 1937 leaving the equivalent of £2m. His daughter Jane married a jeweller and was certainly comfortable, she left several thousand when she died in 1955. His sister also used to take in lodgers, so I do not understand why no-one took him in. Was he not a nice father? I am quite baffled. I am also wondering if Key Hill was renumbered - lots of streets were around 1901, so that might be the reason for the change in number, or did your Thomas Kimberley move into No 2? We shall probably never know for certain.

I do know the houses were built around 1814 and were demolished by 1912/13. These houses were almost opposite the cemetery gates, straddling the alley that is next to Gem Buildings. I think the lady in the doorway is my gt gt grandmother, Mary Ann Jefcoate nee Millard and the boys outside would be her sons more than likely, the little one tied into the pushchair would be Charles, who died aged 22 in 1905.

Shortie

I think this is what you have been waiting for

Lost Photo replaced by what I think is same as original
House%20at%20Key%20Hill opp cemetery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG that is amazing, what a fantastic picture...thank you so much. Do you know roughly when it was taken?

How strange that no-one took him in? Lets hope he was a nicer person than my gt gt grandfather sounds! And how odd that they were also Thomas and Mary Ann, I can see them on the 1891 census so they must have known each other.

Thank you again for sharing the photo, it must be very precious to you.
Sarah

Hi Sarah

It was randomly taken by a photographer in 1885. Thomas Jefcote Snr had died in August 1881 and so his son, also Thomas, had taken over. The third Thomas is my gt grandfather. All three are buried in Key Hill, but Mary Ann is in Witton - I know not why.

I guess it is precious to me, the strange thing is, it is in books, it's in the JQ museum and it is a frequently used photograph by several people on the history circuit. It was discovered by accident, whilst looking for something else, in Birmingham Central Library. I nearly fell over with surprise and excitement.

Yes, your ancestors and mine must have known each other quite well. Interesting indeed.

Shortie

Ooh I've sussed it, if you put the top of the sign to the right of the bottom, it reads Key Hill Marine Stores...in those days that was a junk / scrap metal dealer!

How on earth do you know that? How does marine equate to scrap? I have been trying to get on here for an hour, and I could not but glad you have got it sussed.

Shortie

lol I googled it and found a few other sites where people had ancestors who had marine stores and said that's what it was...I was sceptical at first but after finding the same explanation in a few places I'm happy that's what it is!

I would have been sceptical too, but if other people say the same, it just has to be. A bit odd, though.

Shortie

Thank Mike

It's a bit irrelevant really, just got my curiosity going seeing it in the picture!

It's good to learn new things!

S

Thank you Mike for finding those threads, they really do assist in the understanding of what a Marine Stores was. it was the Marine bit that foxed me, although I know Key Hill is fairly near to the canal, Marine is not a term usually connected to canal boats, but larger ships - but now I understand much better. I was interested in your quote from the Murphy Riots - I have a paper on the Murphy Riots by Patsy Davis - is yours from another source? I have a great interest in those riots.

Shortie

The shop was there from at least 1888 (kellys) till 1912

Hi all
I know my great great grandparents had a Live Bait shop for about 10 years, up until about 1905 I believe, at 1 (or 1a) Key Hill. It was registered under Thomas Kimberley but it seems as though his wife Mary Ann worked in the shop.

I have found listings, but I'm wondering where to look for pictures?

There is also a family rumour that Thomas (apparently an alcoholic who liked to beat his wife) killed Mary by pushing her where upon she hit her head and died :shock:. It is said it was recorded as accidental death but that their sons took their own form of punishment on their father. I'm going to send for her death certificate see if I can shed any light on this. Frustratingly I can't find a record of their marriage.

Anyhow, if anyone knows where I can find pictures of Key Hill from that period I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Sarah

In 1920-25 James & Emily Patrick lived at 120 Princess road, and in 1930 at 51 Belgrave road.
James Patrick seems to have been a printer, and in from between 1900 & 1903 to 1925 had a business at 53/55 Pershore st. It was at 19 Wrottesley st 1932- 1940. From 1937 it was a limited company, which was probably when James died or got out of the business. From 1943 it was at 155 New Coventry Road, later listed as just New Coventry road, with no number. .
Mike

To go back to the live bait dealer, thomas kimberley was at no 1 Key hill from sometime between 1880 and 1883 till about 1913. Before 1880 no numbers 1-11 key hill were listed, sp perhaps he was the first tenant ? In 1880 the only thomas kimberley was a sewing machine maker in worcester St.
Mike

Do the following names have any connection to the family you are researching?

James Patrick died ?? June ???
Emily Charlotte Patrick (wife) d. Jun 2nd 1935
Louisa Jane Kimberley (wife’s sister) b Feb 4 1857 d Jan 8th 1947
Sarah Elizabeth Salt (maid), d July 23rd 1945

They are commemorated on a plaque on the catacomb in Warstone Lane.

Ooh I'm not sure...I'm struggling to be certain who the parents (and siblings) where of Thomas Kimberley, if I can solve that I might be able to answer the question.

Thank you so much for telling me.

Sarah

The shop was there from at least 1888 (kellys) till 1912

That would make sense since she died in 1909 and he in 1912. I know they didn't live there in the 1881 census but did in the 1891 and 1901 census. In 1911 the house is listed on the census as number 2...there is no number 1.

Thanks again
Sarah

Back