• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kimberley .Do you know?

MKimberley

Dear All- my name is Sue and I'm in the US and I'm new to this group. I recently learned that my grandfather's father either worked or managed The New Inn in Harborne many, many years ago. His last name was Kimberley. Would any members have any possible history/details? My siblings and I are researching family history. Many kind thanks for any information/guidance.

Welcome to the forum. Are you looking for history of the New Inn or your gggrandfather, or both ? Members are sure to want to help.

Viv.

Last edited:
I have added the surname and moved to the name section. do you have an approximate date?

Welcome to the forum. Are you looking for history of the New Inn or your grandfather, or both ? Members are sure to want to help.

Viv.
Hi Viv - my intent is to find more information concerning my grandfather's brother, however, history on the Inn would be welcome.

Below is a map showing the New Inn at 74 Vivian Road, and a view of it today

map c1958 showing New Inn.jpg

You might like this thread for a little more info and photos. Viv.

A couple of press cuttings. This first is likely to be your John Kimberley.
30B1425B-5C5F-43C0-A0CE-2A716A8CBB23.jpeg

This second may or may not be. If it is, John Kimberley was performing with the Smethwick Musical Society going back to 1891. Viv.
A2EED5C4-9408-4782-9DE6-0BD6FD23E2D9.jpeg

Hi Sue, would the brother you are searching be Frank Henry Kimberley born 20th January 1887
He is one of the civilian dead of WW11 in Coventry, he was Brewers traveller and a special constable killed on 8th April 1941
April 8th was the night that the blitz devastated Coventry
In 1939 he is at 64 Queensland avenue, Coventry with his wife Elizabeth Alice nee Plant and their son Eric F Kimberley b 1918 and Elizabeth Plant age 85.
In 1939 the other brother John leslie Kimberley born 1st October 1892, Brewers general manager and Special constable was , at little moor hill ,Smethwick,with his wife Phyllis E Kimberley nee Smith. they married in 1939.
John Leslie died in 1954.

Last edited:
John Kimberley is listed as the landlord at the New Inn in the 1910 -1915 directories, but not in the 1908 or 1921 editions.

In the 1908 Kellys there is listed a John Kimberley at Old CrystalPalace P.H.70 Cranford st.Smethwick. By the time your John Kimberley is listed at the New Inn in 1910 there is a different landlord at the Crystal Palace, suggesting that this might be the same person.
He is listed at the Crystal Palace in the 1904-1908 editions
In the 1903 editiion he is at the Vine Inn 88 Cross St, Smethwick
He is not listed in the 1900 edition.
I should emphasise that the date is the publication date of the directory , and would probably refer to the year before

Some history of Kimberley at the Crystal Palace
30/1/1904 Crystal Palace, Soho Street (per Mr J Kimberley) 15s donated as a subscription for old people’s Christmas dinner (Source: Smethwick Telephone publication)

14/5/1904 Mr John Kimberley, Crystal Palace, Smethwick offered a gold medal worth 5s and 5p as a prize to raise funds for free concerts at Victoria and Harry Mitchell Parks In Smethwick (Source: Smethwick Telephone publication)

And J Kimberley’s move from the Crystal Palace to the New Inn, Harborne. Viv.38F2305E-373D-43F1-84CF-5259C29806FE.jpeg
All sources: British Newspaper Archives

Hey, John Kimberley was my great great grandfather. His son Frank Henry Kimberley, who died in Coventry police station as it was bombed in the blitz, was my great grandfather. I know a few bits of you have any questions.

Back