• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Killed By the Blitz Bombings

rowan

Born a Brummie
I have been told that some family of mine were killed in the bombing of Victoria Grove, Astley Street, Aston
in November 1940. They were Harry BOTT, his wife Nellie (nee MASON) and their children Phyliss and Joan.

I know nothing of this family and I am curious to find out if there were any other children who survived the bombing. I don't know of any more children so I am a bit stuck, as I say I know nothing of this family :redface:
Any help would be gratefully reiceved............. electoral rolls, census ect.

Thank you :angel:

The following is a list of births surname of Bott with mother's maiden name of Mason.
They may not be all for the same couple,though!
Births Sep 1912
Nellie G Bott mmn Mason Birmingham 6d 297
Births Jun 1914
Edna M Bott mmn Mason Birmingham 6d 662
Deaths Jun 1914
Edna M Bott 0 Birmingham 6d 395
Births Jun 1915
Eric T Bott mmn Mason Birmingham 6d 624
Births Dec 1917
Winifred F Bott mmn Mason Birmingham 6d 454
Births Dec 1919
Henry D Bott mmn Mason Birmingham 6d 617
Deaths Mar 1921
Henry D Bott aged 1 Birmingham 6d 437
Births Dec 1921
Phyllis M Bott mmn Mason Birmingham 6d 684
Births Dec 1924
Joan K Bott mmn Mason Birmingham S. 6d 225
Births Jun 1927
Harry F Bott mmn Mason Birmingham S. 6d 270
Births Dec 1929
Ray V Bott mmn Mason Birmingham S. 6d 228
Births Sep 1933
Arthur L Bott mmn Mason Birmingham 6d 332

Hi Colin, thank you for your reply................... yes I have seen their names on the BARA site thank you

Hi Linda, thank you for your reply............

Gosh their are possibly many other children by the looks of it. I wonder where they were on that fateful night and if any of them survived .

Many thanks for your time and trouble.

I will now try to find out if the other children lived

Hi,found the following,if they're any help?
Marriages Mar 1933
Nellie G Bott married Walter R Roberts Birmingham 6d 35
Marriages Jun 1937
Winifred F Bott married Albert Meadows Birmingham 6d 124
Marriages Sep 1938
Eric T Bott married Daisy Flavell Smethwick 6b 2344

Hello,
There are 3 surviving children out of the ten children they had, one boy and two sisters survived because they were young enough to be sent out into the country, into Leicestershire on a farm. All three live in the Birmingham area, one is in a care home. I mentioned your enquiry to the son, who is a friend of mine. Hope that helps.

Hi, There are 13 relatives of mine all listed on the Bull Ring memorial "THE TREE OF LIFE" all killed in one house on 20-11-'40. However it took me quite some time to find all the names because one is incorrectly listed. Can anyone tell me who to contact to discuss the anomaly?

Hi Frank, www.swanshurst.org has a section on BARRA, (Birmingham Air-Raids). Scroll down the page and you will see it. I hope this helps.
I had to look carefully at the Memorial and found my relative on a different part.
rosie.

Hello Frank ,

Is the error on both The Tree of Life and Swanhurst Website?

It is The Birmingham Air Raids Remembrance Association who had the Tree of Life Memorial erected , rather than Swanhurst School.
The Tree of Life was sculptured by Lorenzo Quinn and was kindly paid for with donations.
I understand that BARRA have used the original records from the Fatal Casualties List and the Town Clerks Death List.

I imagine it would be costly to have the “error” rectified unless the public wish to donate.
Swanhurst School worked hard in creating the website with records obtained from Birmingham Air Raids Remembrance Association ( BARRA)

Would it be possible for you to send me a private message and I will see if I can help.

Bo

Back