• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Killed by one of the first motor vehicles...c1911

kaz

master brummie
So i am trying to help my aunt with her tree and she has just given me something sad ..but interesting.

Apparently her uncle Donald Leslie Lock(e) born 1903 in Shirley Heath was killed aged 8 by one of the first motor vehicles.Would something like this have made the paper?

I have the family living at 105 KNOWLE RD SPARKHILL BHAM in the 1911 census and his death reg on freebmd for 4 th qtr 1911.
I've also had a look at some of the free historical newspapers online but haven't come up with anything (time period+warwickshire not London, Edinburgh or Manchester =:()

Any suggestions where i should look??

Hi Kaz
Yes but you need to search the newspapers.
My grandmother was run over by a truck in 1937 and there was quite a lot of details in the Birmingham Mail.
I was able to get a death date and a friend went to the Birmingham Library and checked the papers around that date.
She was run over on the 2nd and in the paper on the 7th.
Maybe a visit to the local cemetery could narrow down the date.
I live in South Australia so could not get there myself.
Thats the best information I can offer.
good luck
Bob

Hi Kaz
Yes but you need to search the newspapers.
My grandmother was run over by a truck in 1937 and there was quite a lot of details in the Birmingham Mail.
I was able to get a death date and a friend went to the Birmingham Library and checked the papers around that date.
She was run over on the 2nd and in the paper on the 7th.
Maybe a visit to the local cemetery could narrow down the date.
I live in South Australia so could not get there myself.
Thats the best information I can offer.
good luck
Bob

Hi Bob,
Oh I'm so sorry about your Grandmother.
I kind of thought it should have appeared in the papers but nice to have someone else confirm it too -having said that i'm sorry it was due to personal experience.
Unfortunately i won't be able to visit myself...i'm in Canada...but will put on my list of things to persuade family members to do...hopefully,lol

Thanks again,
Kaz

Hi Kaz

Can I suggest (if you havn't already) subscribed to the Birmingham Mailing list?
It was someone from that group that got me my information.
The address is
[email protected] and just put 'subscribe' in the text part.

Just put something similar to your message and ask if any one is going to the library.

Bob

Back