• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kids go on strike and walk out!

Vic

knowlegable brummie
Back in the late 1970's I can remember walking out of school on strike (as did all the other kids) - I can't for the life of me remember why. It wasn't just our school a lot of others did it too - can anyone remember why we did this? It happened several times and then just fizzled out, presumably the situation had been defused with a result that we accepted. We all came out together walked to neighbouring schools who also came out, so I can only assume that this was an issue across all schools in Birmingham at the time.

It's possible that was the reason - I can't remember. Hopefully someone on here has a better memory of it than me.

It's highly likely that it was something similar to this - I started secondary school in 1975 and it was there that it happened, I guess around 1977to 1978. So a while after these incidents in London - however most probably over very similar reasons.

On March 1973, sixth formers at King Edward’s High School for Girls in Birmingham, boycotted lessons and picketed outside their school in support of a campaign for higher student grants.

It's mad to think that during the 70's a lot of the kids went on strike for differing reasons.

I agree, they might have done away with the cane in the 70's, but they were mighty handy with the slipper, chalk, chalkboard rubber, hands, ruler etc etc....

I agree, they might have done away with the cane in the 70's, but they were mighty handy with the slipper, chalk, chalkboard rubber, hands, ruler etc etc....
yer i had a chalk rubber thrown at me,it hit me on the head, as i dont like pain,i went mad jumped up and slung it back at her. she sent me to see the head. who sent me home.

Never heard of a school strike in my area. However, it was not long after the so called swinging sixties when the nanny state was growing and people were believing that the world owed them something rather than the other way around.

Not the 1970s but 1969 and the NAS work to rule. See post #22 here:

Viv.

Back