• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kids Games

thanks big fella...i used to have a hula hoop but was hopeless at it...lol..

paul...give me hand stands up the wall...skipping..tracking..climbing trees and walls..hop scotch etc..no problem..hula hoops no way lol...

happy easter to you and yours too...

lyn

thanks big fella...i used to have a hula hoop but was hopeless at it...lol..

Me too Lyn, not quite the right pelvis swing somehow. Remember if they took in water due to just pinpricks of wear and it could take years to squeeze it all out again!

Yes Lyn, very tricky. Tried a couple of times could't get any rhythm but I do remember the girls with their skirts tucked in their knickers doing hand stands against the wall, and hop scotch, and skipping in rhythm with two girls joining in and two ball against the wall, tried that too but no good.
paul

Yes Lyn, very tricky. Tried a couple of times could't get any rhythm but I do remember the girls with their skirts tucked in their knickers doing hand stands against the wall, and hop scotch, and skipping in rhythm with two girls joining in and two ball against the wall, tried that too but no good.
paul

ahh happy days for me paul....maybe the hula hoops were a bit too much of a feminine thing for me as i really was a proper tom boy and no dare was too great....well i had to be tough being the only girl in our gang of about 10...oh dear im going off thread now and drifting back to my very happy childhood and when i do that i could go on forever....lol..

lyn

Last edited:
froth it was common practice..not only did we do handstands up the wall but once up the wall we had to bring ourselves to the ground with our backs arched...i bet cath used to play it...right i am now in danger of getting me ticket so back to pics of the bull ring lol.

lyn

froth it was common practice..not only did we do handstands up the wall but once up the wall we had to bring ourselves to the ground with our backs arched...i bet cath used to play it...right i am now in danger of getting me ticket so back to pics of the bull ring lol.

lyn

I'm saying nothin'

Not just handstands against the wall but hanging upside down from the school railings as well. And not all the girls tucked their skirts into their knickers either

lol david...i think we should start a new thread for the antics we got up to as kids...will do that later on...should be a fun thread i think...

lyn

Re: Kids Street Games

Does anyone (mainly old boys) remember the 'fire-can' craze that seemed to come every year about Oct / Nov. Perhaps it only happened on the Beeches Estate where I used to live. The HSE of today would be horrified but we managed to survive.

Remember it well Phil, a small can with as many holes punched into the sides as you could manage. A piece of wire looped to form a handle at the top usually giving you about a foot safety margin at the top so you wouldn't burn your hand as you swung it in arcs to keep the contents (coal or coke) glowing nicely giving the impression of a large Catherine wheel. Happy days!

Games have changed over 60 years !

Img_1954.jpg

Img_2014.jpg

Last edited:
Games have changed over 60 years !
Img_1954.jpg
Img_2014.jpg

Thanks for putting me right Phil, here was I previously thinking that the present day obesity was due to the proliferation
of the takeaways when in fact the real reason is the absence of physical energy in the kids leisure activities. Jim.

hi terry never heard of french cricket we used to play rounders in the street for hours though...happy days

lyn

Yes I remember it. It was near enough as described there. I reckon really that it was the very original invented form of cricket before before officials got involved in organising it and making it complicated.

We used to play French Cricket round our end too, usually with a home made bat.
It was one of the many games we'd have a "craze" on, for about a week then we'd move on to something else.

This photo reminds of my childhood days when we used to go out to play with the gang in the morning, come back for a bit of dinner at mid-day, then out until teatime, and some days out again until it got dark ... my 'boat' was a raft we built floating on the local quarry pool ... we were lucky !
Games_iOS.jpg

Back