• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Keyboard shenanigans

Ray T

master brummie
As with my previous computer running Windows 10. the keyboard on the replacement eventually started playing up and then went dead. I had a wireless one handy so plugged that in (it did the trick last time). But this time that too started repeating letters non-stop, though it didn't go dead. I reinstalled Windows 10 and neither keyboard would work still. I tried the online tips and troubleshooter but still no good. Today I bought a new machine which came without a keyboard and to my surprise my keyboards are still useless (onscreen keyboard being used here). I'm guessing that some mass upgrading has been done by Microsoft which has rendered older keyboards obselete. Can any technical types confirm this? I guess it will take another trip to the store to pick up the latest keyboard. At least, I'm hoping that's the fix.

Ray,

A keyboard is just a series of switches, each one generating a code. What letter that actually generates is dependent upon which "language" is selected in the Windows software, egh. US English, UK English, Spanish, Greek, whetever. I doubt if these keyboard drivers have changed very much with different Windows versions, but there are a few more languages in the recent versions.

If you are having problems, I think is is most likely to be hardware problems rather than the keyboard driver. Switches do eventually wear out, coffee or wine spillages, biscuit crums, dirty plug and socket connections. So I would say that a new keyboard will solve all of your problems. However, before you spend your hard-earned cash, do try out the various keyboards on offer. A lot of the modern keyboards have a very shallow action, whereas I prefer a somewhat deeper action of the older type of boards. It's a matter of personal preference.

Maurice :cool:

Ray,

A keyboard is just a series of switches, each one generating a code. What letter that actually generates is dependent upon which "language" is selected in the Windows software, egh. US English, UK English, Spanish, Greek, whetever. I doubt if these keyboard drivers have changed very much with different Windows versions, but there are a few more languages in the recent versions.

If you are having problems, I think is is most likely to be hardware problems rather than the keyboard driver. Switches do eventually wear out, coffee or wine spillages, biscuit crums, dirty plug and socket connections. So I would say that a new keyboard will solve all of your problems. However, before you spend your hard-earned cash, do try out the various keyboards on offer. A lot of the modern keyboards have a very shallow action, whereas I prefer a somewhat deeper action of the older type of boards. It's a matter of personal preference.

Thanks, but with three keyboards all suddenly refusing to work on my old computer and today's brand new one, it can't be hardware problems. I tried re-installing Windows first and that was no use.

Duff keyboard socket on the computer? Friends or relations computers that you can try them out on?

Ray try changing usb ports. if no good go to device manager and uninstall driver for kb and re install them i find this works. if not it sounds like your old kb has a sticking membrain.
asda do good cheap keyboard i have 2 one hard wired the other wireless, no probs with them on any of my 3 machines

Duff keyboard socket on the computer? Friends or relations computers that you can try them out on?

Same faults on two computers, so unlikely duff sockets. I suppose it really is that all three keyboards are worn out. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow.

Ray try changing usb ports. if no good go to device manager and uninstall driver for kb and re install them i find this works. if not it sounds like your old kb has a sticking membrain.
asda do good cheap keyboard i have 2 one hard wired the other wireless, no probs with them on any of my 3 machines
I've tried everything, even re-installing Windows. I'm now thinking all three keyboards must have failed. I'll check if there's an Asda near me. If not, PC World in the morning.

Win 10 will usually work with any old keyboard.

From post#1
Today I bought a new machine which came without a keyboard
Did this machine come with the oem W10 installed or did you install your own copy of W10? It is very unlikely that a new machine with W10 installed would fail to recognise a keyboard and mouse.

If you are installing W10 yourself maybe the system files in the copy are corruputed.

You could try the following using the 'on-screen' keyboard ...
Open the Admin Command window or the Admin Powershell window and type the following and run it.
sfc /scannow

The space before the forward slash is important.
Alternatively ...right click the Window Start icon and type it in the 'Run' box and run it

This will verify the system files and replace any corrupt ones. You could also try the DISM W10 health check

Last edited:
Phil,

Ray says three keyboards will not operate and that seems a very remote coincidence, but not impossible. And two different computers into the scenario seems to let out computer sockets, support chips on the motherboard and even software problems. I'm inclined to think that it may be the almost impossible of old duff keyboards. I'm also guessing, because I haven't asked the question, that these may be the old PS2 plugs on the keyboards. Are they going into PS2 sockets or via a PS2/USB adapter? I can't see W10 being at fault as the keyboard drivers, like mouse.com, have had no substantial changes in donkeys years.

Repeated letters or letters that don't world are almost always a duff keyboard.

New keyboard purchased today. The other three were indeed defunct. Suspected fault: mother board problem. Solution: Windows reinstall then a new computer, cost £600.00. Actual fault: three broken keyboards. Solution: new keyboard, cost £7.00. Hey ho! (It's a great machine, though)

Good news, Ray. I did say that three duff keyboards was unlikely but not impossible. As soon as you said you had tried them on two different computers that more or less clinched it. Glad you're now back on the road so to speak!

New keyboard purchased today. The other three were indeed defunct. Suspected fault: mother board problem. Solution: Windows reinstall then a new computer, cost £600.00. Actual fault: three broken keyboards. Solution: new keyboard, cost £7.00. Hey ho! (It's a great machine, though)
Ray you must be really special :cool: to have three keyboards go out like that! I have an old IBM keyboard from the 80's that works as long as I keep it clean. Biscuit crumbs give it a fit but when I do use it I blow it out with a can of dry air!

Back