• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Keyboard Problem

badpenny

Deleted Upon Request
I am having a problem with a efective key on my laptop.

The letter between 'C' and 'E' sometimes refuses to work, has anyone got any ieas?

thank you
Bapenny.. (see what i mean)

lt looks like the 'd' is troublesome Badpenny.
I can't offer an explanation, except to say that on my laptop,, when using Windows 10 the @ had to be repeatedly pressed to get it to work. When I ditched Windows and switched to Linux Mint it worked instantly. So there it is, another computer ponderable.

How old is the laptop? In the short term I suppose the ‘on-screen’ keyboard can be used but it may have to be a choice between a repair and a new laptop.
This was typed with an on-screen keyboard but on an iPad ... :)

edit ps: I suppose one problem would be if the faulty key letter was in a password particularly if it was the log-on password for Windows. In this case you would not be able to get to the on-screen keyboard

Last edited:
I am having a problem with a efective key on my laptop.

The letter between 'C' and 'E' sometimes refuses to work, has anyone got any ieas?

thank you
Bapenny.. (see what i mean)

hello badpenny i have had this problem a few times..alas i have to admit to eating when i use my pc ..i use a little brush ie clean toothbrush to give the keys a good cleaning to remove any offending crumbs that has got wedged and it works:D this may not be the cause of your key problem but worth a mention

lyn

Keyboards for most laptops can be bought on Ebay for a few bob, not a difficult job to change them, plenty of 'how to' videos on youtube.
The problem is often as Lyn says food or drink getting in the works...…………………... or just worn out.

You can buy cans of compressed air which you can aim at the specific letters which should clear junk from it

I have just been having another problem, with GOOGLE I now have to sign in every time Any suggestions????

Back