• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key hill

Hello Astonian, I noticed you refer to the to the "crematorium" building. Just to clarify, there has never been a crematorium at Key Hill, or Warstone, but they both had Chapels which have been demolished.
rosie.

Some of the older members will surely remember that sparrows generally refrained from pecking at freshly immerging peas in the veg garden. If they were somewhat of a pest then 4 or 5 strands of black cotton would deter them, no trouble !! Not so nowadays . I have to put wire netting over my peas which eventually the sparrows learn to poke their heads through. This is followed by plastic netting supported slightly above with garden canes. I sometimes wonder why I bother ,but I do feed the birds which give me great pleasure , and their is great delight in picking and eating fresh peas from the pod. Of course the grandchildren also indulge so we get more frequent visits.!

Attachments

• Bird protection!!.JPG
    Bird protection!!.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 4
Hi Brian,
Yes again from myself like to say thank you for your very interesting information about the paupers graves
Now I really know exactly what a paupers grave was and the entailments of it
The word pauper I heard used as a kid and when I picked up that index card in the filing box
And dead it I was surprised to learn of it as I have learnt the ancestors of the jelfs my family tree
Had money and wealth and I thought why a paupers funeral ,
My mother died many years ago so I could not asked about the funeral arrangements
But what I did know when a kid walking back from aunty Winnie Phelps with my mother
Whom was really exciled from her family from 1953 onwards because her mother died of cancer
Her relatives tibbood her ,even her father Ernest held but we was passing ickneild crem and cemetery
And she said one of the jelfs was burried and she did not know there christian names
Was buried in there that night whilst walking back to kingedwards road by springhill Ladywood
Well at least you have sorted it and explained to me about the paupers grave and I understand now clearly
In my mind many thanks Brian, best wishes Alan,,,,,,Astonian,,,,,,

Hi Rosie
Many thanks for coming through and correcting me on that subject, yes I always thought it was
Over the years I used to pass the cemetery quite regular day and night
And yes I do recall them knocking down the chapel in Ickneild street in that period
I was really shocked when one day I walked passed and it had disappeared
Mind you in the evenings walking past it did look Haunting in the shadows of the reflect tion of the street
Lighting and the pub directly across the road to the com
Thanks again Rosie best wishes Alan,,,,,Astonian,,,,,,

Hi Alan, I wish I had seen those Chapels before they were demolished!
I found out too late about my Great Grandmother being buried at Key Hill and she was moved to make way for the Metro, so was her daughter who died from TB. Great Grandfather is in a public grave in plot C near where they strengthened the wall, at least he wasn't disturbed.
Best Wishes,
rosie.

Hi Rosie
Yes the one in ickneild street was a very nicely built in a large white stone brick work
It was built on the high ground ,
I do not know whether or not you was familiar with that cemetery ,but in those days
Right up until the late sixtys the cemetery had huge great railings mounted on a four feet wall
All across the frontage in green huge railings with two huge front gates with brick pillars
Either side of the gates they was larger than the front railings coming along Ickneild street
Right up to the rail way bridge and that wall you have mentioniond
On the entrance into the cemetery grounds, it was a high rise drive up the paths
And at the top of the paths was the chapel ,and you had to walk up about four or five steps
To reach the two front big long doors which was glass doors
You could see the chapel from the front gates as you was passing
It was a beautiful look at from the gates it had that roman style look and very Gothic looking as well
To be honest Rosie this cemetery and the chapel was discussed on hear about 12 years back now
On this forum and I do know that some where or some one did have a picture of this chapel
And put it on but obvisiuosly they was lost or may be an member is no longer with us whom may have it
Still not to worry I have the memory of it in my head ,as I said I past it every day of the years
Of living up spring hill and traveling to ickneld school every day either on my bus tokens
Or walking past to and from school three times a day
Oh ,and when I was older trapping down to the pubs of key hill coming back half cut
In my younger days , that was then image run pubs and clubs but I never did drink like most gathers did
In the business I was a tea total and still is,
Rosei , best of wishes as always Alan,,,,, Astonian,,,,,

Hi Alan, what a shame it's gone. I have seen various photos on the JQRT website as well as the Forum.
The gates were refurbished recently, they look beautiful.
Best Wishes,
rosie.

Back