• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill chapel before demolition

Hello David I don't know the date of the photo it's a very old stereo photo on card. Looking at the trees I suppose around 1860. It's difficult as some of the ground was taken in the 1980's for the Metro. I have tried to see if "our" graves are there but it's difficult to see. My two graves were either side of the very visible path which is no longer there. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks for the pics, Wendy. I had never seen the inside. I notice that the seating is at right-angles to the lectern, can't help wondering why (I never can). Perhaps everyone who attended a service there left with a pain in the neck.
Regards, Mohawk.

Mohawk, I always wondered why the seating was this way too. I wonder if David remembers what it was like inside.

That photo is of the new modernised chapel - it was 'modernised' around the early 1900's. There is another photo in the same collection as this one, showing the chapel as it was prior to redecoration and the new seating, showing the old Georgian box pews. It also shows what I take to be some kind of heater.

The chapel at Handsworth Cemetery, which is marvellous, still has seating that way, facing the aisle.

Shortie

I also spent a lot of time walking around the cemetery during the late 1950's, but for the life of me I can't remember that chapel.

Mohawk
Wendy
I have no recollection of a cobbled pathway but do remember at the rear of the Chapel there was some form of office or rooms. I visited almost every Saturday during the 50’s up to about 1958 and thereafter only every few months until about 1961. Then not again until early in the 70’s and in recent years once. I think the pathway was gravel or a ‘firmish’ surface such as compacted cinders in the 50’s and after however I may have not really noticed as my attention was elsewhere. I hope that sort of helps!!! I only ever entered by the Icknield Street gate (until my last visit when I came in via Key Hill in April 2008 when Wendy and Michael came to my rescue). One of my tasks was to take the old flowers to a waste basket and bring water back from the tap—these were found near the main pathway. I will ask around in the family if anyone remembers differently about the surface. The pews did face inward not unusual if you think that the deceased was then the focus of direct attention and respect---very Victorian in approach. I was told about this in the late 50’s, I think Handsworth is the same but can’t remember about Witton. As a child I remember that the cemetery was a quite mysterious and did wonder up to the catacombs a couple of times. I was always worried by the railway arches and was careful not to go too near—I remember gravestones leaning against the walls inside the arches. I never attended a funeral service in the Chapel only at the graveside but was told about the pews in the 60’s. Now for the quick story: -I do however have a strange but distinct memory (from the very early 50’s as a young child of 6 or 7) of attending a service in the chapel. The short version is:-At this “service” the pews did face inward and the internment later took place near the railway arches, people were dressed in black but the form of dress was old-long dresses and types of frock coats. The internment was in a grave lined with bricks into a large hollow near the railway side. This was not the first “internment” in the grave. To this day I remember lots of detail. Yes a likely story and no I’m not a Jacobs’s cheese biscuit!!!And no doubt it was really a dream as a child- but not one I was afraid of. I was never told I had attended a funeral at that age or place and I certainly would have had no family need to! It still seems real to me but does not rationalise as true as an adult. David

Last edited:
Hello Wendy
We have an interment in 1864 in P just up and opposite side of the path from our "next door" graves. I'll have a look at the records and see if I can map it out. David

What a fantastic post David thank you for sharing your memories of the Chapel. I am quite envious as you remember it. Perhaps we were mean't to meet at the cemetery! It was certainly a strange coincidence that we should meet and then discover our family graves were next to each other.
We would love to hear any more info you have. Thanks for posting your experiences.

Thanks, David.
Maybe I'll never figure out the cobblestone thing, but there we are.
Your recollections are interesting and what you say about the seating layout makes perfect sense, given Victorian attitudes. I guess it was a case of focus on the deceased and listen to the preacher, there being no real need to look at the latter.
I recall reading, around 1977/8, that the catacombs had been broken into. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be in there after dark!
I found the latter part of your post fascinating.

Regards, Mohawk.

Back