• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

key hill cemetry

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi wendy
where does one go in search of a grave in key hill
i am trying to find the resting place of Thomas Henry Jelf ,
whom i have was interned at Key hill cemetry
In the year of 1851 Would This plot still be there , or not?
I WAS tOLD he was the young son of william jelf
there was a mention of him in the special draw of deaths and cems
at the b,ham libary ,
i would appreciate any info ,or advice on this please
best wishes astonian ,

Astonian, I have mentioned before the records for Key Hill and Warstone Lane cemeteries are now held at Handsworth. The do charge for research but they may do one look up for you if you provide as much information as possible. This does depend on how busy they are as it is a very busy cemetery. As for "if the grave is still there". I think you mean headstone as all graves are still there. Some are as early as 1835 it all depends on if the memorial has survived. The burial indexes are at central library.

key hill cemetery

HI ALL. I HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM KEY HILL AND YES ALL THE RECORDS ARE HELD AT HANDSWORTH. THE ADD IS HANDSWORTH CEMETERY OXHILL ROAD. HANDSWORTH. BIRMINGHAM B21 AJT TEL NUM 0121 554 OO96. EMAIL ADD IS [email protected]. hope this info is useful. please dont anyone laugh. (bet you do) i was at the cem looking at the names on the gravestones for a friend who lives in wales. wasnt looking where i was going. didnt see a deep muddy full of water and covered with leaves hole. slipped in it went flying and my hand and wrist are now bandaged up. sprained it and in pain. doing this 1 handed. i know there is a joke in this somewhere. ha ha. wales

Wales I am sorry to hear of your mishap. It does highlight the care you must take in these places. You probably noticed the amount of graves laid down, this was mainly the work of health and safety. Some of the graves have been badly dammaged by this work. They don't like you to go off the paths so if you do remember sunken graves tree roots and loose branches. Please take care if you visit and ware sensible shoes.

key hill cem;

hi wendy . and wales
mant thanks to you both for the valuable information
you have given to me and many thanks for your valuable time
thanks a million best wishes astonian ,

key hill cemetery

i would not mind wendy but i was on a normal path. by the way astonian i have also been told that the birmingham central libray hold the buriel records. ps must put me glasses on next time i go. wales

I was there on Wednesday with friends, failing to find any headstone (maybe common graves) of her infant brothers (twins) who died in 1941. We did try and keep to paths, but it's a bit difficult ain't it? Still, we came out with all limbs intact! Pity we weren't there all that same time wales, we could have given you a hand :D.

key hill cemetery

ha ha very funny charlie. :pmaybe next time. my brother had taken his camera. said he wished hed took his cam corder. he would have sent the footage of my turmble to uve been framed. not talking to him either. good luck with you search. wales.

key hill cemetery

hi all. if this works these will be my first photos i have put on the site. at last. they are of the public mens toilets actually situated in the grounds of the cemetery. the entrance was in pitsford street which you can see in the background. i just thought this was unusual. give me a cheer if it works. ps my son has helped a little. wales

Last edited by a moderator:
key hill cem

hi wendy. can you check that again. i only took these photos yesterday and it deffinatly pitsford street. its off vyse street. its the very long street leading to ickneild street. wales

Pitsford Street runs from Vyse Street alongside Warstone Lane Cemetery down to Icknield Street. In your photo of the urinal, the Post Office building in the background is on Key Hill. To get to the entrance by car you have to go from Birmingham and turn right off Great Hampton Street into Key Hill. One of the gates on that side has had the metal stolen a few years ago. Key Hill Cemetery has two entrances one in Ickneild Street the other on Key Hill where the urinal is.

wendy. sorry for the confusion. must have been that tumble i took yesterday. lost my sense of direction. wales

Key Hill info

:angel:
Hi,
Not sure if this will be of interest to you but Key Hill has got a group of people who look after it. They have open days there to try to raise money for the upkeep, it was a facinating couple of hours. They havent got any family tree info though. If I remember right I'm sure some of the grave yard was used for the railway that now goes through it.
Good luck in your search.

www.friendsofkeyhillcemetery.co.uk

Back