• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery

Thank you Wendy & Brian...so poor little Kate was in a public grave....I would not be surprised if the Brough grave is a family one, but as yet I have never visited Warstone to do any research.

Thank you both yet again.
Margaret.

Can some kind person have a look for a burial in Key Hill for a Mary Ashford 1846 reg. 4797 & is there any others in the grave
Also some in Warstone Lane Edwin Bigland reg 1874 reg 17809, Harriet Clara Bigland 1879 reg 25764, Mary Bigland 1889 reg 39860, Mary Elizabeth Bigland 1880 reg 27580 & Reubin Bigland 1889 reg 40171

Once again many thanks to you all

Hello Bigland here is what I have found at Key Hill Cemetery. Sadly the memorial was buried in the 1960's but at least it's still there. It states in the index 4 in grave so all are inscribed except Mary possibly because she died much earlier.

Mary Ashford section K grave 493

Memorial inscription compiled by Dick Empson
In loving memory of Ann Eliza Roxbee who died November 30th 1882 aged 55 years. Also of Fredrick George Ashford son of the above who died January 5th 1890 aged 39 years. Also of Joseph Roxbee who died January 29th 1891 aged 71 years. Notes:- 6' 3" gothic headstone base kerbs and flat stone. Pike list. Headstone buried on site. No memorial present.

Here are the family in Warstone Lane Cemetery.

BIGLAND Edwin 1874 sectionK grave no 315 17809 3 in grave Memorial Inscription

BIGLAND
Harriet Clara 1879 section I grave no 1936 25764
BIGLAND

Mary 1889 section O grave no 1150 39860
BIGLAND

Mary Elizabeth 1880 section G grave no 868 27580
BIGLAND Reuben 1889 sectionM 1 (Angle) 40171

Glad to help Bigland.This is an older map but may be easier to print if you are thinking of visiting the cemetery.

Key_Hill_map_edit~0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly what I wanted as well (meant to ask Brian on Saturday!)
Many thanks Brian and Wendy.

Looking for a possible burial of GEORGE TARRANT whom died March 1/4 1856. I wonder if he may be buried at Key Hill or Warstone Lane cemetery?
Also his wife Sarah Tarrant died June 1/4 1865
Regards

Steve

Wish I could help you, so sorry I live in Canada..close to Vancouver, emigrated in 1967.. I joined this because I was born opposite Warstone Lane Cemetery in 1943 and used to play there..lots of trees and flowers.
I am searching for a half-sister born in Vienna, she moved to Australia, so far no luck however I am optimistic.
Blessings, Julianne

Looking for a possible burial of GEORGE TARRANT whom died March 1/4 1856. I wonder if he may be buried at Key Hill or Warstone Lane cemetery?
Also his wife Sarah Tarrant died June 1/4 1865
Regards

Steve
Hello Steve these are all the Tarrants in Warstone Lane Cemetery
Surname Forenames Year Section Ref No in
Plot Grave
TARRANT Dinah 1896​
P 1950 50489

TARRANT​
Florence E. 1889 O 881 40909

TARRANT​
George 1856 R 5 4564

TARRANT​
Henry Ernest 1954 K 22 101947

TARRANT​
Marie M 1911 P 1940 67923

TARRANT William 1897 P 1780 52647
The only Tarrant in Key Hill Cemetery is Jeanette Rose buried 1923 secton C grave no 317
Sorry no Sarah but she may be interred with her birth family especially if they had a family grave somewhere.

Wish I could help you, so sorry I live in Canada..close to Vancouver, emigrated in 1967.. I joined this because I was born opposite Warstone Lane Cemetery in 1943 and used to play there..lots of trees and flowers.
I am searching for a half-sister born in Vienna, she moved to Australia, so far no luck however I am optimistic.
Blessings, Julianne
Julianne thanks for your memories. Why not try puttung a request on the surname interests for your half sister you never know? Many here on the forum have found lost family members me being one of them.

Many thanks Wendy. It seems that the George Tarrant 1856 R 5 4564 is the burial that i am looking for. Is it possible to obtain more information, was it a private or common grave, is there a Memorial, date of burial etc. etc.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve try sending an email to Handsworth cemetery unfortunatly I have no other info only that there is no visable memorial. So there may not be one or it may be buried. I have to add they may charge you for info. This is because staff have to do the look up but it's worth a try. I have posted a map on the Warstone Lane Cemetery thread which will give a location. Post #55 here

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5395&page=2&highlight=Warstone+Lane

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve

I have all the burial plans for Warstone, I would suggest that the 4564 is the burial number (Warstone opened in 1848), but there seems to be no R5 in section R. The numbering starts at 411 and finishes at 896. Can you leave it with me and I will find out as soon as possible all the details.

Shortie

Wendy, if you are still doing look ups for Warstone Lane and Key Hill could you please look for Henry Steventon d 1891, and his daughter Sarah Ann d.1889. They lived in Gt. Tindall Street for most of their lives. Thank you.
Lynne.

Back