• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Key Hill Cemetery

KH_I469_Exploratory_hole.JPG

Hi Netti,

Had the paperwork processed for I469 Susamme Purser, but Richard/Colin were not available for digging - sorry for the delay - You just cannot get the staff (or Volunteers)!
Popped in today, but bitter gale blowing - have exposed some of the stone, looked like it was face down, but some fragments appear to be right way up with text.

KH_I469_Close_up.JPG

Snd fragment with text - only just notived on Computer it has part of memorial just showing- on the break naturally!

Will need to get to KH and do more digging when time and weather permits - sorry it's not much yet. Looks like we will have to lift and turn the pieces to see what is written on the face down bits. Anyone free?

I think that its upside down Brian, There appears to be maybe two words at the top and then below in a different "font", two lines of which I can make out

The Lord shall (?) be (?) there (?)
----- day of ---- mourn-- (?)

The (?) meaning I am unsure

Great find Brian.

I wish I could find one of my family graves still standing!

Norton_grave_at_Key_Hill_Cemetery__edit.jpg

Hello can you tell me how i would go about doing a grave search here as i live in plymouth but my family are all form birmingham aston, lozells hoclkey. many thanks yrs Dave

Hello Dave if you can give us details we will try and help although we only have limited records.

Many thanks for reply here are some names in my family Alfred eccles born 1881 died 1925, Thomas Eccles born 1838 no excact death date but 1890 to 1910 if corrrect Alfred Brookes born 1897 died 1947 , Alfred Brookes born 1851 died 1920s and Luke Brookes born 1824 no death range im afraid im grateful for your time in this . yrs Dave

Dave

The nearest I can find from your list of names on the BMSGH index is:

Luke Brookes buried 1881 register number 29009 in Warstone Lane Cemetery. There is a probate record for a Luke Brookes who died 24 April 1881 at 85 Morville Street, Ladywood. He was a Mediaeval Metal Worker and his widow is Jane Brookes and he left a personal estate of £190. The death index has a Luke Brookes registered AMJ quarter of 1881 aged 61 which would give a rough birth year of 1820 (I note you have 1824) so with this info you should be able to determine from what you already know about Luke as to the likelihood of this burial being the correct Luke Brookes.

Suzanne

Warstone Lane shows
Brookes Luke 1881 I 6 29009
No sign of your Alfred, just
Alfred 1897 B 1457 52243
Alfred Francis 1875 P 1357 19279 5

ECCLES
Alfred M. 1889 M 4 (Angle) 40508
Thomas 1901 I 12 57368

The Thomas Eccles may be yours

You can obtain a copy of the Burial Register entry from the BMSGH email yh_uci@btinternet for details
This will date of burial, age, address (often just street), name of family organising funeral & Minister who officiated.
Usually about £4 per entry. If you are a member, visit their room in the Birmingham & Midland Institute and have a look for free!

Nop Eccles or brookes of these names in Key Hill I'm afraid
Brian

KH_Susannah_Purser_-_hopefully.JPG

KH I469 Susannah Purser - Hopefully. Excavating now done, 2 large sections are face down - Typical.

All we want for Xmas now is a couple of big strong volunteers to turn them over...................

And than - Fingers crossed - we have an Inscription.

KH_I_471_Sarah_Yates_Complete_3.JPG

FInally got the time to get into Key Hill and struggle to get the pieces turned right way - to find they were the wrong way round!
Having put them all together, it tuns out to be ! 471 not ! 469, and therefore Sarah yates, Not Susannah Purser - Sorry - wrong grave.

Susannah may be buried in there, but must be the other side of the 'White Lady' Memorial.

it's a crying shame that it wasnt the one you were looking for after all your hard work turning them pieces over Brian, but great detail on what you have found !!
Just for the record, the 1851 census shows Sarah was from Epsom, Surrey and Charlotte and Charles "Jones" were born in Gloucester..they were living at House 2, St Georges Terrace, (by Brearley St West). Strange that Mom lived to 76 but her children both passed on within a few years of her, both in their late 40's.

Never mind Brian a great job and nice to see another grave visable. Here's the inscription:

Sacred in the memory of Sarah Yates who died May 10th 1853 aged 76 years. Also of Charles Jones son of the above named Sarah Yates who died August 29th 1853 aged 46 years. Charlotte Jones daughter of the above Sarah Yates born May 11 1805 died March 14th 1859.

Last edited by a moderator:
More ongoing work at the cemetery these pictures show pointing work done on the cemetery walls.

Key_Hill_28_Feb_011.JPGKey_Hill_28_Feb_010.JPGKey_Hill_28_Feb_009.JPGKey_Hill_28_Feb_008.JPG

The second photo shows two trees which had to be removed because they were pushing against the wall you can see the repair.

The wall is going to look really good when the repairs and pointing are finished. It is a shame the trees had to be taken down but at least the wall has been saved.

Brian I wonder if you can help as I am a little short on time at the moment. I have found my great gradmothers brother John McKnight buried at Key Hill Cemetery. He died in 1892 aged 60. He is in section H grave 13 can you confirm is this the vault section along the wall. Many thanks.

KH_Vaults_H11-H14_Right_to_left.JPGKey Hill Vaults - left hand edge near the sloping path behind the Petrol Stn. H14 on left, H13, H12, H11 on right - Vault Numbers are visible chalked above them but has now been washed off with rain.

Just heard today from Peter Vickers, the chap undertaking the Conservation Management Plan in Key Hill that a bid had been successful for £1 Million !!!!!!
It will help rebuild the fallen Warstone Lane Catacomb Wall - Bereavement Services have had this on the list for some years but each year their limited budget gets used for higher priority works - Witton Chapel Spire, Sutton Crematorium Roof (after vandals stole the copper coverings), and Handsworth Cemetery Chapel Spire - All very important, safety related and more importantly Affects Funerals!)
It will also fund the replacement of the missing gateposts, gates & fence along the Vyse St frontage of Warstone Lane Cemetery - thus improving the Jewellery Quarter as well as the cemetery.

Hopefully further bids in the future will continue with the Pitsford St & Icknield St frontages.​

oh bri this is wonderful news...you and everyone else who does so much to maintain KH and WL must be delighted..good excuse to celebrate tomorrow lol...

lyn

Fantastic news what a difference all this will make. I can't wait to see the fencing back up along Vyse Street.

Won't it look wonderful Wendy? Do we have to get our Hammerite out?
Hope Michael's feeling much better now.

Ha Ha you may be right Charlie paint brushes at the ready!! Michael is getting there thanks for asking he did make the meet today.

Seems I have found my great great grandparents Clarissa Howell is buried 1890 in H 10 vault and William Howell buried 1884 in H3 Vault. I will have to come and take more photo's.

Back