• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Key Hill Cemetery - Edmonds grave/memorial

Andy Parkes

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone help me with confirm details on the occupants of a grave/memorial at Key Hill?
The index at the library gives me the following references;
1865 19188 James Edmonds grave 211 D, reopened
1869 20566 Rebecca Edmonds grave 211 D, reopened

I think that these may be for James Edmonds, a jappaner (of Summer Lane/Newtown Row) and of his wife Rebecca (nee Parkes). The Key Hill index link from the BMSGH site suggest that there are four other occupants of the grave (their children?) and a memorial.

Any further information would be greatly apprecialted - as would directions to find the grave!

Thanks
Andy Parkes

Hi and welcome Andy I have asked for outside help with your query as soon as I get a reply I will let you know.

Hi Andy

Popped into Key Hill today (for a change!)

Sorry - but no headstone for 211D, it's neighbour is there (not much help though)

It could have been 'buried' there are many in that area - we could try and have a probe around for it - you would need to email via the Friends of Key Hill www.fkwc.org.

Looking at the MBSGH records there are 5 Edmonds shown as being 1 of 6 in a grave - It does not actually mean they are all in the same grave! but it is possible

James 1865, Rebecca 1869, Emma Matilda 1855, Mary Jane 1913, Rebecca (again) 1881. Others in the grave could be son in laws, wives of sons, etc with differant names.

Wendy may have better news when she gets back to you, or again, try FKWL to check their copy of the records?

Good luck

Brian

Dear Brian
Thanks for the reply.

The names you mention tally with the couple and some of their children - appearing with them on the 1851/61 census returns (and 1841 with Rebecca and her in laws - James is residing at the 'Court of Request Prison' in that year!). So I think you have probably confirmed that this was the family I was looking for. It will be interesting to see what Wendy is able to find out.

thanks again
Regards
Andy

Back