• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Key Hill Cemetery - Birmingham in Bloom

Lyn ,I can't believe that all you knew last week was a name and now a pic of the grave. You are going to be so lost not having to look anymore for Janet..Brilliant.
Lynne.

i know lynne..all this has happened this week:) we cant put a price on the folk of this forum can we..

Something for the weekend sir? - Takes on a whole new meaning View attachment 68807 Tiurns out it was the first load of well rotted chippings, etc dumped bY handsworth for our hole - how on eaerth did they manage to miss an Hole that size!!

Obviously they never went to Specsavers!

Raked it all in and await load 2 tomorrow, but forgot to take a pic afterwards!! Oh well, something for tomorrow

Dear me Brian do they not think you have enough to do without moving this lot!!!!

View attachment 68839 Remembered my camera today! - The hole looking a little fuller now the forst 'dump' has been raked in and spread about - There's nothing like a bit of muck raking to make yourself unpopular!!!!

Either the second load has not been delivered or they will nick anything around here if it ain't nailed down!

View attachment 68843 Just to prove we were fair in distributing the original soil from the 'ole - This is I 64 - last resting place of Kibius Gilbert - Now when do you ever come across a Kibius? There's a Forum challenge if you want one - Who is Kibius and what did he do?

View attachment 68844 The soil we had loaded onto the handsworth cemetery trailer with the help of our 2 gravediggers was rumbled around to Warstone lane (we do like to spread it about a bit - share and share alike), It got 'dumped' into the first of a row of sunken Public graves. Thanks to some kind sould nicking our Warstone lane wheelbarrow - It was another maual job to spread it along the line of Publics........

Cheers Sarah - A Gentleman! - Gave up working - living on savings - local man, with local family, obviously doing well - accountancy
Elizabeth Hannah Woodroffe died 1904, (Daughter) Joseph 1905 (Son in Law) both in with him.
Also are mary Susannah Gilbert 1888 (Wife), Sarah Gisborne 1891 (His or Wife's Sister), Elizabeth Hannah Watkins 1930 - Last one in - not recorded on memorial? Another daughter or grand daughter?

Brian that boarder is causing you so much work you must be shattered - you deserve a medal for all you do in the cemeteries!

The graves look great that you have put the soil on - well done!
Kibius is a strange name - I have never heard it before. I would love to know more about him and how he got that name.

As Polly says Brian you should have a medal for all the work and organising. Well done you and all who helped it is appreciated. I didn't know someone had pinched your wheelbarrow probably for scrap as it's worth more these days! Joking aside that is so annoying.

Kibius is an unusual name I have only come across Tibius sounds a bit Greek. How interesting he to lived in Lodge Road like the chap who tried to raise funds for the Pemberton grave.

You would think with a name like that the would be easy to find I could only find the family in 1861 living in Long Street Atherstone.

Kibius Gilbert aged 50 occupation baker employing one man. Born Kibworth Leicestershire.
Mary Susannah aged 45 Born Atherstone Warwickshire
Elizabeth Hannah aged 21 Born Packington Leicestershire
Sarah Gisbourn sister aged 50 Born Atherstone.

He obviously went into accountancy late in life.

Your right Pol I am assuming again because he is listed a gentleman in his will. This always one of my faults with family history. Thank you for pointing it out:).

The son in law was an accountants clerk they often did most of the work!

View attachment 68869 Been running around a bit today - odd bits & pieces, popped into KH after 3 - and hey - the secret dumper has visited again! Too late now for more Mulch - the Top Soil man has been and left a couple of tons - and most of it landed ion the Hole - HE went to Specsavers ! (May have only got a monacle or bi-focals, though!)

View attachment 68871 See - No Problem, all you need is baking sun, an idiot, a rake, Blood, Sweat, & Tears - hey presto from heap big spoil to nice, inviting Flower Bed - Almost ready for those carefully cultivated pretty things arriving Monday....

That's a lot of soil Brian - as you say, too late for more mulch now.
It does look like a pyramid - when are the camels being delivered????:D

:headhit::headhit::headhit::headhit::headhit::headhit::headhit::headhit::headhit::headhit::headhit:Aaaaaaaarggggghhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!
The mere thought of what happens in September when the Bloom is over is enough to make you scream....:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Brian you have worked so hard have a great break and try and relax:rolleyes::rolleyes: I can't promise but I will try and get down the weekend as I am working till Friday:).

Back