• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Key Hill Cemetery - Birmingham in Bloom

Now found some info about Judsons. Daniel Judson & Son had their business at 77 Southwark St, London. They supplied paint, simple dyes, art enamels, glues, varnish stain, writing inks, pianoforte polish (!) and insecticides. Don't know if they manufactured all these or just bottled them. Here's their snappy(?) advertising strap line : "If you cannot buy your other Judson's goods where you buy your other goods, buy your other goods where you buy your Judsons" Well that's good, sound business advice. :):)

Viv.

Wonderful photo Wendy. What connection did he have with the cemetery? Viv.

The photo is a young Edward Manning who was chaplain and secretary at Key Hill cemetery for over 53 years. He also lived in a flat under the cemetery chapel.

Great piece of info on the bottles Vivienne I bet they were ink bottles. Mr Manning must have got through a lot filling in all those burial registers he also wrote some books on the residents of Key Hill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes agree Wendy, more likely to be ink than glue. Couldn't get my head round why there'd be glue bottles, and two of them at that. I just love to try to piece together a picture to bring these things to life, especially where there are 'finds'. A legacy of having sat through too may boring history lessons as a youngster:redface:But the upside for me is that I can now investigate history to my hearts content and in my own way. :) Interesting that Edw Manning was there for 53 years. Can't imagine how many burials he'd have witnessed over that time. Must keep an eye out for any of his books as I know there are some interesting people buried there. Viv

Many thanks for the Judsons info - need Forensics to examine residue in them! - seems easy on CSI, etc.

No Lido today - sandy soil has drained superbly, and the rain has softened the compressed soil, making it so much easier to dig!

Started as usual with shovel and Barrow, hoping to hear a JCB any moment, when eventually, a clanking noise came from within the cemetery - but LO1 - it was a man on a ride on lawnmower!
Not much use with my hole! - and the camera was in the car! Got joined by Richard at Lunchtime, and worked through the afternoon - got inspected by 2 members Brian & Pauline - whilst the camera was still in the car!
Eventually, got a few pics as were packing up

View attachment 68615 Latest shot of the Beadles hut - nothing snoopy's is it - he is a beadle isn't he?

View attachment 68619 Beadles Hut - The undug version - soil layers from turf (at top) to ancient darkest Brummagem (bottom), see closely the coloured levels of ocupation - as described by the great MIck Aston - or did we get Ann Aston ?

fascintating stuff bri...i love the running comentary from you:D count me in..ive got me tooth pick ready...its probably on the forum somewhere but when was the hut built....

lyn

I was sure you would be able to swim in it this morning after all the rain yesterday!
Thanks for the updates - I am enjoying the commentary! :)

So nothing Neolithic yet! Great to see your photos Brian, and agree Lyn and Pollypops, commentary makes it good fun to follow. And yet another question: Did all the finds come from inside the hut? Viv.

Great pictures and commentary I think:rolleyes: I reckon it was cold in that hut that's why they had so many fires!

Good point Viv was the hut built when the cemetery was one to look into!

Wow you have been working hard, brilliant to follow your progress on here...I can't wait to see it next time I'm over...and to think you still had time to do some tidying for me :beam:.

Keep up the posts, this is better than timeteam!

I hope we didn't hold you up too much, I forgot I had my camera too! It's a good job you are taking plenty of pictures, it's history in the making.
Keep up the good work, sorry we can't dig for you.
Yes, it IS better than Time Team.

I went to have a look today amazing I didn't know the hut was there a great bit of archeology even if it is fairly recent.

Latest delayed due to all the running around - sorry.

Last work on the big 'ole was Tuesday - beautiful warm day - just the weatherv to shiove a barrow around - Old Molly Malone must have had muscles like popeye in Dublins fair city - or she woul;d have if she'd been in brum. I bet our dirt weighs more than her old cockles & musseld, alive Oh or not!

Close of play view taken from the rear this time -
View attachment 68679

View attachment 68680 FInal view of the Beadles hut from the rear. There is a corner just showing top right, with 4th corner still buried under the middle of the blue tarpaulin.
Ink bottles & herbal ointment found in hut, pipes found inside and out - obviously before the indoor smoking ban came in - good dating technique - hut must be older than last 2 years!
Hole taken down to 2 ft deep - none of this modern continental 480mm if you please - it's good old anglo-saxon 18 inches and a bit on the safe side!

View attachment 68681 Almost got the hole in the area not used for burials! - just found this small corner that will be forever called someones flat grave stone. Looks like it has been buried intact for a change - Will work out who's later and apologise for intruding and cover this bit up again for decency.

View attachment 68682 Cut section just outside the beadles wall - retained for future comprehensive Tiome Team'ish Dig. clarly showing layers from late 20th Century (turf) all the way to ye Olde Dayes of Yore - buried rubbish & spoil !

View attachment 68683 And for the average blind as a bat, ignorant savage viewer - our own Richard (No funny hat, goofy teeth lanky hair or 'quaint' accent) - maybe Mary Quaint? points to a 'lovely bit of old slate or sumat' lovely Knap!!!!

View attachment 68684 Meanwhile across the site, at another trench, our famous Challenge Anneka personality presenter races across with with an important find - Could this be the real Charles Pemberton? The shy, nameless Consultant does not look fully convinced! Are you sure - Is it Rirual?, High Status? or just a bit of old pot?

im finding this fascinating bri...its like tuning into time team every day:D

thanks for the updates..i await the next installment...

lyn

And that's the sad old story in the life of an 'ole!
many many barrows later, weachieve a lovely roundhouse base with signs of former occupation by a beadle!

The Parkie has been down and agreed it is a Hole (talks posh!) - Got an 'ology!

It round is deep and it's in the right place - all you have to do now is fill up with SH... - manure or well rotted compost! and than cover it all back over with DIRT !

What a Bloominbrum cheek!

Popped over to Handsworth Cem, who have just a bit of of old well rotted leafmould & wood chippings. If it's quiet over the weekend, they will bring a trailer or two and DUMP it into our lovely hand-crafted outdoor feature, but as their soil is dirty and full of stones, would we mind asking Witton to bring their lovely clean nice dirt to cover up their compost and blot out our own Key Hill Hole!

Hopefully we shall see it all filled in next week, ready for the Edgbaston Reservoir Rangers and their trusty sidekick Tonto - or as we can't afford his appearance fee - some local schoolchildren, who will have a great time messing about in the dirt, shoving in - sorry carefully planting - millions and millions of lovely Blooming Plants, lovingly raised and nurtured by our very own BCC Parks people.

Planting day is Monday 27th June - you will not believe the change - I hope!!!!

To be continued.......................

Brian that has given us such a laugh! Can't wait till the planting and next installment!!

I have planted loads of bulbs along with many other volunteers:sweat:.....how very dare you!!...lol

Back