• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kenworthys ltd Pitsford Street

brianthelion

master brummie
Someone has contacted me trying to get some info on the above. Anyone have any information at all? Cheers....seems also trading in the past as Kenart on Vyse st also.

Someone has contacted me trying to get some info on the above. Anyone have any information at all? Cheers....seems also trading in the past as Kenart on Vyse st also.
Also seems the 15 Pitsford St address was active in the 1960s from what I've been told. Wondering where exactly that was and no doubt our map expert on here could help!

In the 1932 Kellys Kenworthys were at 46 Northampton St
In the 1933 edition they were at 112 Vyse St
From 1936-1973 editions they were at 15 Pitsford St (1973 was last Kellys)
The map below shows 15 Pitsford ST and 112 Vyse St

map c1950 showing 15 Pitsford St and 112 Vyse St.jpg

No listing in 1921
Star as ever! It seems the Pitsford St may just have been workshops at the back of a shop (according to one old enameler lol!). It would be interesting to know where the Kenart works on Vyse St was. Be happy when the library fully open again lol. Sorry please ignore me didn’t read post properly...having one of those days! Many thanks as ever.

well 112 vyse st has gone..it was where the multi car park is now..mike you may have taken a photo of it during your 69/73 roam arounds..pretty sure it was there when i worked in vyse st in 70/71

lyn

Last edited:
well 112 vyse st has gone..it was where the multi car park is now..mike you may have taken a photo of it during your 68/72 roam arounds...i know it was there when i worked in vyse st early 70s

lyn
Yep noticed that on street view. Hopefully a photo somewhere as I recall a few of that old row of buildings. Many thanks.

In the 1932 Kellys Kenworthys were at 46 Northampton St
In the 1933 edition they were at 112 Vyse St
From 1936-1973 editions they were at 15 Pitsford St (1973 was last Kellys)
The map below shows 15 Pitsford ST and 112 Vyse St

View attachment 151910
It’s also easy to forget the term “works” can be very misleading. I always expect a decent sized factory but even now some small JQ businesses are called “works” despite sometimes being in a very small space indeed!

mike if you spot this..ive just taken a quick look at some of the photos you took of that side of vyse st before demo looks like you stopped at no 110 but the thread is that long i dont have time right now to go through it all..knowing you you have all your vyse st ones in some order so could you check please to see if you snapped no 112 thanks mike

this photo has to show no 112 at a rough guess just past the lampost nearest to us with the cream signage dated 1963..but maybe mike took a closer shot..all you see has gone but i remember them very well

vyse street 1963.jpg[

Yes. I have cropped the photo to just show 112. It was pretty ramshackle by thern . although no number is on the door, the whole phpot shows 113 and 114 , so definitely 112
Correctiion. this shows the passageway by the side of 112 and part of 113
112 Vyse st from 16B.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. I have cropped the photo to just show 112. It was pretty ramshackle by thern . although no number is on the door, the whole phpot shows 113 and 114 , so definitely 112

View attachment 151915

great mike just going on counting down from my photo i thought it could be the one just to the left of your photo..you can just see the cream signage so not a bad guess from me...just 1 out..cheers mike..brian mike should be able to date his photo as he took it in fact he took photos of most of that demolished side of vyse st and they are on the forum
lyn

Afraid I do not know exactly when I took them, though it would have been between about 1969-73. Unfortunately notes I had made (but luckily not the negatives) were destroyed in a sewage flood a few years later. It was very shortly before they were demolished., demolition starting just to the right of them shortly after.

Just realised that my attribution on post 15 was wrong. Have corrected that. and below is part of no 112 and passage by the side of it.. this is hte edge of my photo.
Lyn - You were correct in the first place

112 Vyse st from 16B.jpg

Back