• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kellys 1973 directory - Scrap Dealer

Pat Sattar-Jennings

master brummie
Can anyone help with the name/owners of the Scrap Yard/Dealers - during the early 1970's situated on the junction of Herbert Road (off Bolton Road) at Coventry Road, Small Heath. Just round the corner on the Coventry Road was the bus depot. Thanks.

There is no scrap dealer listed at all in Herbert Road in 1973. There was one on coventry road between Arthur St & Mount Pleasant : The Sparkbrook Metals & Macinary Scrap Metal Merchants.

I lived in small heath in the 1960s, if any one mentioned scrap metal they would always refer to raggy allens, but I can,t remember where it was situated. Michael.

Hi

Thomas Allen Metals, known as Raggy Allen's, was in Garrison Lane, Not far from the junction with Cattell Road.

Kind regards

Dave

Can anyone help with the name/owners of the Scrap Yard/Dealers - during the early 1970's situated on the junction of Herbert Road (off Bolton Road) at Coventry Road, Small Heath. Just round the corner on the Coventry Road was the bus depot. Thanks.

There was a Winspear Metals Ltd (metal merchants) at 15 Herbert Rd in the late 60's. This was the Coventry Rd end would this be the one you were looking for?

Have been thinking that Winspear Metals Ltd (metal merchants) may have still been there in the early 1970's, specifically 1973-74 as it was old & well established. I checked what's there today on the online map & it looks like a unit, with car park in front of it, then a wall, so it may well be Winspear Metals Ltd. I remember there was a chap there about 23-24 ish (can't remember his name) who used to go to school with my ex-husband (John Sattar).

Last edited:
There is no scrap dealer listed at all in Herbert Road in 1973. There was one on coventry road between Arthur St & Mount Pleasant : The Sparkbrook Metals & Macinary Scrap Metal Merchants.

Hello, I went to Birmingham Library yesterday, Monday 20 November 2017, to check yellow pages, and thanks, you are right Mikejee re post 523403, member 3395, as it was the Sparkbrook Metals & Machinery Scrap Metal Merchants on the corner of Arthur Street & Coventry Road Small Heath Birmingham & I lived near the junction of Bolton Road off Arthur St, where they built the new houses. (Yellow pages 1973 - 1978). The telephone number 0121 772 885. (The 1978 Yellow pages added "Cnr Arthur St/Coventry Rd B10"). I have also checked the area map.

The 1988 Yellow Pages matched the telephone number as BG Rag Metals Ltd, Unit 19 Greenway Street, Greenway Industrial Estate B9. We lived in Greenway Street in a back to back house before moving to Bolton Rd & I took my children to the school at the other end of Greenway Street. Would this be the same Scrap Metal Merchants, or....

does anyone know where Sparkbrook Metals & Machinery moved to anyone relating to the business, as I need to find the chap who used to give me a lift to/from the school with my kids.... in 1973 and we moved house in 1974 and would like to trace him as I am researching my family history. (Married name ws Sattar - using my single name of Jennings last 20yrs or so - both on Facebook).

if anyone can help pat please contact her via our private message system (inbox top right of the page) as the request may relate to a living person

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you to all who have replied.

Thank you Lyn, good idea

Jim, thank you for the photo, although I don't recognise the building or the owner & it looks slightly earlier than the1970's, well not the person I knew then.

The trade name in the photo is BG Metals and I came across a BG Rag Metals in the 1988 Yellow Pages with the address of Unit 19 Greenway Industrial Estate, Greenway Street, B9, which had a similar telephone number to Sparkbrook Metals listed in the 1972-1976 yellow pages entries of Arthur St B10 & same telephone number of 021 772 885.

The 1978 yellow pages entry is slightly different listed as Sparkbrook Metals & Machinery, address - corner Arthur St/Coventry Rd, listed with the above same telephone number.

Hi Robert. Thanks for your info about J Williams scrap yard, further up Arthur Street and will check it out just in case, however, the scrap yard I am relating to is the one for 1973 located in Arthur Street, corner of Coventry Road, and hope someone can remember a name or where they moved to after 1978, or where they may be now in 2017. I matched the scrap yard from when I lived down there and to when I left the area in 1973 and hope my memory serves me well & the info I found to match the place is from the yellow pages at Birmingham Library between 1972 - 1988.

Many thanks - Regards - Pat

New Message further to above re Sparkbrook Metals

Please contact me via the private message systems (inbox, top right of the page) if anyone can help me please, regarding trading between 1973 – 1991 of Sparkbrook Metals, in Arthur Street, corner Coventry Road, Small Heath Birmingham 10 - telephone number 021 772 8855.

The later records show the name changes to Sparkbrook Metals & Machinery, corner of Arthur Street & Coventry Road, Small Heath B10 021 773 8855.

The last year's record shows a slightly different address of Sparkbrook Metals & Machinery, at 165 Coventry Road, Small Heath B10 same tel 021 772 8855

1992 Business telephone pages is missing & further research for later dates does not record Sparkbrook Metals at all, so can only assume trading stopped there or relocated or changed name !!!

I lived off Arthur Road, in Bolton Road & moved house in 1973, and I am looking for the person who gave me lifts in 1973 to/from my kids school from Sparkbrook Metals in Arthur St @ Coventry Rd end - it would be a big help as it's in relation to my family history/tree.

Many thanks and regards in anticipation – Pat (married name Sattar – maiden & current name Jennings).
(any replies, please inbox me - top right of the page).

Pat Sattar Jennings, post: 605796, member: 10807
Hello, I went to Birmingham Library to check yellow pages, and thanks, you are right Mikejee re post 523403, member 3395, as it was the Sparkbrook Metals & Machinery Scrap Metal Merchants on the corner of Arthur Street & Coventry Road Small Heath Birmingham & I lived near the junction of Bolton Road off Arthur St, where they built the new houses.
Does anyone know where Sparkbrook Metals moved to ...

Hi

Thomas Allen Metals, known as Raggy Allen's, was in Garrison Lane, Not far from the junction with Cattell Road.

Kind regards

Dave
Just what I was looking for! In 1971 I worked at Coles on the Coventry Road and Mr Benny Coles mentioned 'Raggy Allen' quite often. I knew he was a scrap dealer and now I know where! Much appreciated.

Just joined this group as I am researching scrap dealers in 1970 in Rugby, Coventry and surrounding area. Particularly one by the name of Denis L Smith lived in Lutterworth but was supposed to have a scrap business elsewhere but not certain it appears he was NOT located in Rugby, believed left for Spain about this time. Any ideas?

Pat Sattar Jennings, post: 605796, member: 10807
Hello, I went to Birmingham Library to check yellow pages, and thanks, you are right Mikejee re post 523403, member 3395, as it was the Sparkbrook Metals & Machinery Scrap Metal Merchants on the corner of Arthur Street & Coventry Road Small Heath Birmingham & I lived near the junction of Bolton Road off Arthur St, where they built the new houses.
Does anyone know where Sparkbrook Metals moved to ...
I seem to recall a scrap metal merchant of that name , it was run by a husband and wife, they traded under the arches just off Lawley st/land or st. Late seventies early eighties.

Hi Pat Sattar-Jennings not familiar with the area can you enlarge a littl on your reply please ?Are you saying you recal a Denis L Smith ? Late 70s? Lawley st/land or st. Not sure what that means ?

Hi Pat Sattar-Jennings not familiar with the area can you enlarge a littl on your reply please ?Are you saying you recal a Denis L Smith ? Late 70s? Lawley st/land or st. Not sure what that means ?
It wasn't Pat Setter who replied to you, it was me Bob Johnson. I didn't mention a Dennis Smith. There was a scrap merchant at the junction of Lawley st (now middleway) and Landor street.

Sorry Bob

Brand new to this type pf media first attempt

I am finishing a book about cars that involved a scrap dealer living in Lutterworth 1970 was raided by police for cut and shut cars messy divorce fled to Spain no idea if alive or dead name was Denis L Smith cannot trace any yellow pages or Kellys on him but found his house in Lutterworh in 2007 and current owner confirmed he purchased from him - any ideas as I have exhausted the scrap dealers in Rugby - Watts have been a business for 100 years they say never heard of him. Regards David

David,

If he fled to Spain then he obviously didn't want to be found. I first look on Facebook to see if there is a member called by that or a similar name living in Spain - the only reason that I have a very basic Facebook membership! Here, in this part of eastern Crete, we have a very active Ex-Pats Association (or Foreign Residents' Association to give it its proper name). I'm sure such organisations exist in Spain, so dig deep into Google with key words such "foreign residents Spain" and similar, and you may come across something. Whilst he may not have joined such an organistation, a request to their Secretary may produce someone who knows him. Of course, getting him to talk to you may be an entirely different matter!

If he is now deceased, but still had assets in the UK, you can try the UK Probate Registry here:-
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills - with a name like Smith, use the Advanced Search as you can add a forename. You will have to wade through year by year. Good luck with your search.

Maurice :cool:

I seem to recall a scrap metal merchant of that name , it was run by a husband and wife, they traded under the arches just off Lawley st/land or st. Late seventies early eighties.

Hi Healeyman. Thank you for your reply, do you remember, were they about in the late 20s-30s or do you remember their names?

When browsing through these pages of fascinating memories of our history, my eyes clapped onto Scrap Metal Merchants..... my Dad ran such a business around 1961, at 926, Stratford Road, Sparkhill, B11. The yard had big wooden gates that opened onto the main Stratford Road, Solihull Road marked its boundary as you looked towards the white bridge over the Cole. I would love to hear of any memories or hopefully see any photographs that might exist, obviously the site was redeveloped long ago, and I only have three B/W prints that are internal shots of the premises, and some letter headings/ business cards I will try and put them on here if anyone would like to see them.

Back