• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kelly Michael

SPGSOB

proper brummie kid
I am trying to trace my maternal great grandparents and failing dismally. The only information I have on them is on my grandmother's birth certificate. Her father is named as Michael Kelly and his occupation is shown as Cemetery Beadle. Her mother was Lucy Kelly late Boddington formerly Avery. I presume that this means that she had been married before?
My grandmother was called Margaret Theresa Kelly and she was born at home which was 64 Icknield Street on 30th June 1890. I can find no trace of them in any census, nor can I find death certificates. I presume that they/he came over from Ireland but have not been able to find any evidence that that is so.
If anyone has any ideas as to how I should dig further I would be really grateful.

not much time at the min but just had a quick look for now...you most likely have this already but

lucy boddington married michael kelly 1885 west bromwich ref no is 6B 1060

lyn

I have found them in 1891 living in Icknield Street. Michael's name is listed as MICHALL KELLY age 50 born Ireland, Wife LUCY age 36 b. Gloucester.
Children:
John KELLY age 14 b. Warwickshire.
Amy BODDINGTON age 14 b. Warwickshire.
Florence BODDINGTON age 14 b. Warwickshire.
Anne BODDINGTON age 9 b. Warwickshire.
Francis KELLY age 6 b. Warwickshire.
Lucy KELLY age 3 b. Warwickshire.
MARGARET KELLY age 9mths. b. Warwickshire.
They are all listed as Michall's children!!!!

I found them on FreeCEN which is on the Freebmd site.
Good luck

also the marriage certificate for priscilla lucy avery is on ancestry.. married at all saints hockley 1873

lyn

Last edited:
Michael dies 1905 age 64.
John married age 29yrs Beatrice Christain Husband age 20yrs on the 25 Dec. 1905 at Hockley All Saints. (Father deceased)
John was killed in WW1 in France on the 3rd September 1916. He had at least 3 children.

Michael dies 1905 age 64.
John married age 29yrs Beatrice Christain Husband age 20yrs on the 25 Dec. 1905 at Hockley All Saints. (Father deceased)
John was killed in WW1 in France on the 3rd September 1916. He had at least 3 children.
Thank you very much for all this information. I now have a whole lot of avenues to explore. That's some more certificates to order. I really thought that I had come to a brick wall as regards my mum's ancestors. It seems that thee is still some conflicts with details regarding Michael. The 1901 census shows his birthplace as Birmingham and his age as 56 but he died 4 years later aged 64. with a bit of luck, all will be revealed. Again, many thanks.

not much time at the min but just had a quick look for now...you most likely have this already but

lucy boddington married michael kelly 1885 west bromwich ref no is 6B 1060

lyn
Hi, Thanks for this and all the following. This has opened up a new area for me. I am looking forward to following up some of these leads. It's a whole area of new ancestors who I didn't know existed. I didn't know about the marriage but I guessed that she had been married before. I'll have to obtain the certificate to see if it gives any more leads. Again, many thanks.

This is them in 1901...

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSZJ-X3J

...the three younger children are listed with mmn as Avery. If Jane is the mother or Michael has re-married not sure yet.
Hi, Thank you for this. I wondered why you had attached the 1891 census showing the Truly family until I looked at the original image. How you made that leap of faith astounds me! This has given me some great leads to follow and should keep me busy for some time. Many thanks

Thanks to everyone. Such quick responses too. Sorry it has taken so long to thank you all. I have not been able to access the site until today.

Thanks to all of the people above, I managed to trace my great grand parents with some success, although I found quite a few Michael Kellys who were not relevant. It appears that both of the great grand parents had been widowed before they married each other. According to the death certificate of one of his daughters, he was a police constable at some stage. Does anyone know if there are available records of police officers in Birmingham in the 1870's/80's? I suspect that he left the police force when his wife died and he could not do shift work with three daughters to care for, but that is supposition on my part.

you could send a private message (inbox top right of the page) to Steve R who helps run the police museum and they hold the police records...he maybe able to help you

lyn

Back