• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Keith Berry's Photos (bhf Recovered)

Looking through the late Keith Berry's photo archive I noticed this great photo of his first home computer. His comment is posted underneath the photo.
62591954.3M8jXAMX.jpg
My Sinclair ZX80 - My first computer - the height of home technology in 1981!

Keith Berry's 'Old Birmingham & Surroundings' Photo Gallery
Recovery of 600 approx photos is complete, 15 albums click on any to see.
Keith Berry's titles and comments are in the albums ...
1 1950s /1960s Aston, Birchfield, Lozells, Handsworth. (48)
2 1950s/1960s Handsworth, Handsworth Park, Lozells, Brookvale Park, Erdington. (48)
3 1950s/1960s Erdington, New Oscott, Hockley Jewellery Quarter. (48)
4 1950s/1960s Jewellery Quarter, Onion Fair, Lozells, Moor Lane, Perry Barr, (48)
5 1950s/1960s Witton, Aston Park, Winson Green, (48)
6 1950s/1960s Witton, One Stop Perry Barr, Other Various Places, (48)
7 1950s/1960s Aston, Newtown, Gas Street, (48)
8 1950s/1960s City Centre, Broad Street, (48)
9 1950s/1960s Coventry Road, Sutton Park, Cannon Hill Park, (48)
10 Bromsgrove, Smethwick, West Bromwich and Walsall (28)
11 In or around Birmingham, but where ? (14)
12 Aston and Birmingham Canals 1980s (27)
13 Lozells and Handsworth in 2006/2007. (42)
14 Selection Aston, Witton, Handsworth, Perry Barr, and Erdington (60)
15 Coleshill, Bewdley 1981, Hay-on Wye 1979, Leominster, and Weobley 1979. (33)

They can be viewed from Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, and Safari, in computers, smartphones, and tablets, and can be saved if required. Pdf reader controls can be used to enlarge the views if required.
They were created using Windows 10 and Chrome. They have not been tested on devices using Android.

Last edited:
What a great job you've done Phil. Thank you for all your hard work, it's certainly paid off. One very small point, each page/doc title could indicate the area(s) that the page covers.

Mike - do you think there are more to add to Mohawk's images ?

Will these now stay on this thread or should we set up a separate archive - exclusively for the pages of photos- so it's easy for others to access them? Then if there are any more uncovered over time the archive could be easily added to. Viv.

Last edited:
Hi Viv - Keith Berry had arranged this particular group of 400 images into 10 pages in pBase and I kept to that arrangement. I used the pdf format because it was the easiest way to place his titles and comments with the relevant images. The pdf files are in the forum's image host Coppermine and can be accessed there by any forum member.

Uploading 600 jpg images to Coppermine would be difficult without the multi-uploader working. Also it would be a very long and difficult job trying to place the titles and comments with the images in Coppermine because the file names on many images do not give any clue as to what the images are.

There is an existing 'Keith Berry's Photo Galleries' thread
I could post the pdf files in that thread.

Phil

Last edited:
Thanks both. Think then it's best to leave them on this thread. But would the thread be best placed somewhere in the photographic category now that the photos are available here. Just a thought. Viv

Wonder if the Keith Berry 'unknown' images (page number 11 link in post #23) might be worth flagging up for comment? Some members might be able to name the places. Viv.

I think that no 14 (Old Shop 1969) may be 159 Park lane. It is marked Harper's florists, but seems to be more a greengrocers. There is nothing that fits in the 1959 Kellys (where the number is missed out) but the 1967 Kellys lists Alfred Harper, greengrocer, and two doors away at 165 is Young Master Ltd, shopfitters. If you stretch the photo, then this fits that name (see below) the map shows position of 169, Just off picture to the right is the Royal Oak pub

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1943 Mar. 23 17.48.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1943 Mar. 23 17.48.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 30
  • map c 1950 showing 159 Park lane.jpg
    map c 1950 showing 159 Park lane.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 22
Flowers and greengrocery were frequently sold together by retailers - think flower/ fruit/veg wholesale providers were generally under the same market roof. So makes sense to me. Viv.

On page 1 image 27 there is a photo that used to be on the "unknown images page" I left a message for Keith on the site saying that the building in the background was Nechells House on Dartmouth Street the first flatted factory units in Birmingham and therefore the photo must have been taken from the Aston Rd somewhere near Love Lane. It seems he was willing to accept that the Dartmouth St theory but wasn't quite sure about Aston Road.

On page 1 image 27 there is a photo that used to be on the "unknown images page" I left a message for Keith on the site saying that the building in the background was Nechells House on Dartmouth Street the first flatted factory units in Birmingham and therefore the photo must have been taken from the Aston Rd somewhere near Love Lane. It seems he was willing to accept that the Dartmouth St theory but wasn't quite sure about Aston Road.
Maybe a detailed old map showing buildings on Aston Road would help with identification. A line projected through the centre of the building would pass either through or very close to the distant gas holders.

Photos 6 and 7 in Page 11 show demolition of a modern looking maisonette. The roof and brickwork look good and the window frames are intact even though all the glass has been smashed out of them. Maybe they were being demolished to make way for the Aston Expressway or some other major road.

The first pic shows a tall building on the left with the sloping roof. It seems to be clad in polythene sheeting.
6wheremaisonette.jpg

The second pic shows part of a building name.
7kjccq1WF.jpg

I've added an additional page of Keith Berry's Canal photos in post#23 and will also place the page in the Canals of Birmingham thread

Last edited:
Here is map around junction aston road/dartmouth st if it is any help

Attachments

• map c 1950 area around junc. aston road dartmouth st.jpg
    map c 1950 area around junc. aston road dartmouth st.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 27
Maybe a detailed old map showing buildings on Aston Road would help with identification. A line projected through the centre of the building would pass either through or very close to the distant gas holders.

Phil

I've just noticed that Keith had titled this photo Aston Street although he doesn't refer to it in the text. The attached photo shows a modern view from what must be almost the same spot only it has been renamed Holt St now. I've also attached a photo of Nechells House from around the same time as Keiths photo.

Attachments

• Aston rd - Holt St.jpg
    Aston rd - Holt St.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Nechells House Dartmouth St Flatted Factory 1.jpg
    Nechells House Dartmouth St Flatted Factory 1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 35
Here is map around junction aston road/dartmouth st if it is any help

Mike

On your map the bottom grid line cuts across Aston Road just about where Keith would have stood to take photo. In fact if you had used the 1966-77 map it would shown Nechells House next to the junior school on Dartmouth Street as the complex wasn't built until the early 60's.

I suppose we will never know what that ornate little building was used for, but with Phil's information I think we know where it was situated.

Pic 1 showing Holt St and the building was somewhere in the ellipse shape. The canal junction is to the left and above the ellipse, and the bridge to the left. The canal branch goes off to the left of the gas works.
HoltSt1.JPG

Pic 2
A view from the gas works and '1' marks the canal bend, '2' marks the junction, and '3' the canal going past the gas works.
HoltSt2.JPG

Pic 3
A 1933 aerial view showing a similar view to Pic 2 with same markings, and the building could be somewhere in the ellipse.
HoltSt1933.JPG

thanks phil....silly me did not save keiths photos when i could so my next task is to save the ones that you are posting for us...:)

Keith Berry might have been thinking about some 'then and now' photos because here is a comment from under one of his photos..
I was so pleased to see this view today because it had niggled me that I could
not identify the location of these buildings from my old photograph of them.

Back