• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Keight / Harris

Maris

master brummie
I`m researching the Keight name, my Great Great Grandfather was John Keight of 46 Great Barr Street (1881), 22 Prince Albert Street (1901). His daughter was Emily to become Emily Harris. Her son Ernest Harris was my Grandfather.

John`s father was Charles Keight of 68 Booth Street (1851) originally from Inkberrow Worcestershire. The name Keight (Keyte) originally from Ebrington Gloucestershire around 1440 see here for more info.

It looks like 46 Great Barr Street was next to the canal on the Glover Street side
Its a long shot but I was wondering if anyone got any more info or pictures of these areas in Birmingham as all the areas now appear to be waste land ?

Hi Maris,
If you repost this thread in 'geneology - place related inquiries' sub-title, I'm sure someone will come back with a map and the details of where the house was!
I've had lots of help on that section getting details of where my ancestors lived.
Best of luck!

Hi Maris, was your grandmother called Ada nee Gorton? Ada was a much older cousin of mine and she married an Ernie Harris and had two children David and Linda who was about 18 years younger than her brother.

Hi Sylvia, unfortunately not, my Grandmother was Cissie Harris nee Bushell

Hi Maris, was your grandmother called Ada nee Gorton? Ada was a much older cousin of mine and she married an Ernie Harris and had two children David and Linda who was about 18 years younger than her brother.

Hi - I know a Keight. I will forward your post to him. Might take a while.

Maris
John Keight is listed in the 1888 - 1892 Kellys, as running a fried fish shop at no 46. He was no longer there in the 1895 edition, No 46 is not listed in 1880, 1883,1884 , and in the 1878 post office directory it is occupied by a John Capsey.
The attached map (c 1910) shows the building in red.
At 22 Prince albert St, another person is listed there in the 1900 directory, and the number is not listed in 1904,1908 or 1912. On the map. 22 is one of the houses marked in blue, but I cannot be more specific.
Booth St in 1851 was in Handsworth, outside Birmingham, and only appears in a couple of Birmingham directories (with houses un-numbered) until 1883, so I don’t feel it is possible to identify the house Charles occupied, as a deal of renumbering went on around that time.
Hope this is useful
mike

prince_albert_st_c1901.jpg

46_great_barr_st_map.jpg

Thanks for the maps Mike, 46 Gt Barr St isnt where I thought it was ! I was looking at it up on Multimap but the numbering must have changed.
John Keight is listed as a Coal Carter on the 1881 Census at Gt Barr St which is strange unless he later converted it to a shop. He died in 1907 at Prince Albert Street. It maybe strange but for some reason I like to visit where they live and like to think I am maybe walking in their footsteps.........
Regards
Maris

Hi Maris,

My mother's maiden name was Keight she is now 88 and lives in Cannock. I traced her ancestors back to Inkberrow and actually took her there last year to show her the village.

Until about 1956 we lived at 7 Parliament Street, Aston and my uncle Albert Keight lived at 143 Park Lane, Aston (the bicycle shop).

Prior to this they lived in another part of Aston, I will find out where and let you know.

John

Hi brummy lad, my 3rd great grandad was Charles Keight married to Ann Fenton, he was from Inkberrow and quite a few Keights seem to have made the trek to brum in the early 1800s. Does Charles fit into your family tree anywhere ?

Hi Maris,

My mother's maiden name was Keight she is now 88 and lives in Cannock. I traced her ancestors back to Inkberrow and actually took her there last year to show her the village.

Until about 1956 we lived at 7 Parliament Street, Aston and my uncle Albert Keight lived at 143 Park Lane, Aston (the bicycle shop).

Prior to this they lived in another part of Aston, I will find out where and let you know.

John

Hi Maris, sorry for the delay in replying, mum is trying to find the Keight family tree she was given years ago, will be in touch when I know more. John

Give me some names, I may have found them, I have lots of info on the Keights, originally from Gloucestershire and a few moved from Inkberrow to Brum in the 1800s.

Hi Maris, sorry for the delay in replying, mum is trying to find the Keight family tree she was given years ago, will be in touch when I know more. John

I have a copy of the last will and testament for John Keight of Cromwell Street married to Ann Maria (will dated 25/05/1883). Sons named as executors are John William and Henry.

I don't think this is the branch you are looking for but if you want a copy send me your email and i will forward it to you.

John

Well it looks like Ann Maria was his second wife as she was 37 with a 24 year old son living them. Maybe John William & Henry had moved out by the 1881 Census. There was another large family of Keights living next door !

Name Age
John Keight 55
Ann M. Keight 37
Frederick Keight 24
Caroline Keight 18
Elizabeth Keight 8
Samuel Keight 4
Thomas Keight 1

I have a copy of the last will and testament for John Keight of Cromwell Street married to Ann Maria (will dated 25/05/1883). Sons named as executors are John William and Henry.

I don't think this is the branch you are looking for but if you want a copy send me your email and i will forward it to you.

John

Hello, I’m Richard Keight from Redditch now living in Cannock, me and my mother Judy Keight have done a family tree direct to us from a Richard Keight who lived in Inkberrow from the 1500’s, if you would like a copy of the family tree and work out any of the branches that are within the time line then I can send you a copy via Email [email protected] send email to me if your interested, The family tree is covered over a long period of time and it took a lot of A4 pieces of paper to make, due to its size I could make copies and send it via post, hope this helps with any research.

Hello, I’m Richard Keight from Redditch now living in Cannock, me and my mother Judy Keight have done a family tree direct to us from a Richard Keight who lived in Inkberrow from the 1500’s, if you would like a copy of the family tree and work out any of the branches that are within the time line then I can send you a copy via Email [email protected] send email to me if your interested, The family tree is covered over a long period of time and it took a lot of A4 pieces of paper to make, due to its size I could make copies and send it via post, hope this helps with any research.
Hi Richard, welcome to the forum.

I am related to the Keight family through my mother Edith Mary Leroux (nee Keight), originally from Birmingham but also lived in Cannock until her death in 2017. My uncle Albert Edward Keight also lived nearby to mum in Cannock.
I would be very interested to see the family tree you have and to compare it to my Keight family tree. I will send you a personal message with my email, it may be wise to edit your post and remove your email address as there are people who may use your details improperly.

Hi All

I'm linked to the Keight's (through my mum Catherine Keight) from Cannock area, I've traced back to the 1770's to an Edward Keight who died at the battle of Salamanca in 1812 but stuck with his birth, would be great to connect to anyone that's related.

My tree goes:
Catherine Ann Keight b1953 (bap Hednesford)
Edward Lewis Keight b1930 (bap Cannock)
John Kerr Keight b1902 (bap Cannock)
Edward Lewis Keight b 1864 (bap Shrewsbury)
Edward Keight b1836 (bap Shrewsbury)
Richard Keight b1807 (bap 1807 Ramsgate before his father left for pennisular wars)
Edward Keight born c1779 supposedly from records in Shewsbury

Leeann

Last edited:
Hi Leanne,

You are already probably aware that there was an Edward Kyte born in Longmere, Salop in 1773, died Salamanca 24/7/1812.

I have also researched the Keight family but obviously a different branch to your Keights as none of the names are on my tree. My mother Edith Leroux (nee Keight) also lived in Cannock but moved there in 1962 from Birmingham, her brother Albert Edward Keight and aunty, Gladys Keight also moved to Cannock from Birmingham.

I would advise editing your post and removing your email as you may get undesirables contacting you, members are able to contact you by PM (personal message) if necessary.

Hi Leanne,

You are already probably aware that there was an Edward Kyte born in Longmere, Salop in 1773, died Salamanca 24/7/1812.

I have also researched the Keight family but obviously a different branch to your Keights as none of the names are on my tree. My mother Edith Leroux (nee Keight) also lived in Cannock but moved there in 1962 from Birmingham, her brother Albert Edward Keight and aunty, Gladys Keight also moved to Cannock from Birmingham.

I would advise editing your post and removing your email as you may get undesirables contacting you, members are able to contact you by PM (personal message) if necessary.
Hi thank you, yes thats the one although descrepancy on the birth date as the record which ive seen the original at the National Archives is from 1808 lists him as 29 which makes the birth year 1779. Ive been trying to find a link to the Inkberrow Keights for the last 10 years but so far havent made it. Also my Keights change name from Kyte to Keight on a will in 1848, with a codicil or something like that saying "Keight" is how they normally write their name. I'll keep digging I'll find it eventually, thankyou

Back