• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kardomah

am i correct that this was the KD in new st

I'd be interested if someone can answer too, I can remember there was a Kardomah in New Street and I think it may have been in that block but my memory puts it on the other end, where the vacant shop is?

I'd be interested if someone can answer too, I can remember there was a Kardomah in New Street and I think it may have been in that block but my memory puts it on the other end, where the vacant shop is?
A friend of mine in the 60's was alway's in the KD in New St it was great hang out for the mod movement , best day was Saturday . Working out the battle plan on where to go Saturday night where the best birds where and what clubs

Davis C Keeler
22 & 24 Colmore row
dispensing opticians
1956 Kelly's
just a thought Rod and myself went to a lot of trouble to aquire a number of Kelly's directories for the benefit of the site so why don't you use them they are here for you to use and ours will still be here in a couple of years or more.
we also have other history discs about Birmingham just ask to see if they cover the time scale you are researching
That opticians always made my mate smile he often thought were the partners the same people involved in the Profumo Affair ha ha

I believe the Kardomah in New Street was owned by the brothers Tony and Phil Woodward during the 1960s. I also believe that one of them was a DJ. If anybody has any information about Anthony Woodward or Philip Woodward I would be delighted her hear about it.
Jason
I know I'm terribly late in coming to this thread - and had never heard of 'The Kardomah' before - but I've just popped on my PC with a minuscule amount of information at my fingertips, thinking that I was going to be wasting my time... In brief, I had a reference to a Phil Woodward, who supposedly 'owned a restaurant', in the Birmingham area, during the early 60's... and that was all!

What chances of finding out the name of the business concerned and where it might have been, wonders I? A million and one chance, I tell myself...!

Evidently, I was underestimating the fantastic people on the superb 'Birmingham History Forum', wasn't I!? Lol!!

I know I'm terribly late in coming to this thread - and had never heard of 'The Kardomah' before - but I've just popped on my PC with a minuscule amount of information at my fingertips, thinking that I was going to be wasting my time... In brief, I had a reference to a Phil Woodward, who supposedly 'owned a restaurant', in the Birmingham area, during the early 60's... and that was all!

What chances of finding out the name of the business concerned and where it might have been, wonders I? A million and one chance, I tell myself...!

Evidently, I was underestimating the fantastic people on the superb 'Birmingham History Forum', wasn't I!? Lol!!
Hi Nicholas,

Isn't this forum fantastic.

Please can you tell me any more about the Phil Woodward you are researching. He is part of my family but proving difficult to track down, depite his fame at the Kardomah.

Jason Ellis

Hi Nicholas,

Isn't this forum fantastic.

Please can you tell me any more about the Phil Woodward you are researching. He is part of my family but proving difficult to track down, depite his fame at the Kardomah.

Jason Ellis

Hi Jason,

Being the one trick pony that I am, I'll readily admit that I can seldom add anything constructive to conversations... but I know that - if I'm struggling with anything 'Brum related' during the course of my research - I can always pop on here and, most probably, find what I'm looking for!

With regards to the data concerned, I'm afraid it won't really help much with your own family research, but - for what it might be worth - this clipping was taken from the 'Psychic News' for the 18th of February, 1961. Knowing how the 'P.N.' works, there would have surely been an article about this matter printed in some other newspaper, which possibly contained 'more' information, perhaps. ('P.N.' had / has a habit of simply re-writing - and abbreviating - other media sources, etc).61 2 18.jpg

Back