• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kardomah

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
In the 50's it was a small coffe house, opposite to Snow Hill station. All of the action was in the basement, and on Saturday afternoon a crowd of us would sit for hours with one cup of coffee each. I first caught sight of my beloved in there, and fell hook line and sinker. :D As time went on Brian would play fooball and then we would meet at the 'KD' before going to the pictures.

I wonder what happened to all of those youngsters. No longer young?
They are in my mind. :D

Here's one! :lol:
I used to meet my beloved in there too before going on to wherever. Don't remember a basement though... then again, I'm probably too young. 8)

I can remember complaining about the prices; that it would be cheaper to buy a pint than a coffee but she was against walking into a pub on her own... don't know why, I did it all the time :? and anyway, I was so keen to see her I was never late - gentleman me, th'knows. :iccle-angel:

It was handy 'cos her bus stopped on Colmore Row and she worked at the Halifax so I could meet her there from work when she was late stocktaking or summat. Woooooooo!!!... you've really stirred up some feelings now, Di... just the thought of it all... :) :) :) :) I was so in love!! :oops:

Khardoma

Here's another one Diana,
But I too do not remember the basement,
do remember how lovely was the aroma of the coffee
as you say it was a great place to meet up

The 'KD'

:D I went there a few times too, just think Paul you and I could have been in there at the same time, by that time Di would have been too busy with the aroma of nappies. :roll:
We kids used to have our ‘glasses’, 'spec's' made by Keeley's the opticians which was either next door, or just a few doors away from the 'KD'. The opticians was a big double shop with a bow shaped window and dozens of frames on display.
I still have one of their 'glasses cases', with my Dean's first pair of 'glasses' in, they are so small he was only 14 months when he got them.
After leaving school at Christmas 1962, the following summer in August my sister and I were invited by one of our ex teacher's Miss Brookes to have afternoon tea with her there. We were a little worried before going about how much it was going to cost as neither of us had much money and as you say Paul the prices could be a bit steep. No need though as Miss Brookes paid for the lot and kept pressing us to have more. She also gave us a purse each from her holiday in Morocco, which I also still have. 8)
By the way Paul funny how it's a memory of a woman that gets you all sloppy and goose bumpy. Were you that couple having a pash in the corner, oh no sorry your Bren is too much of a really nice lady to have allowed you to do such things, I can tell by that lovely photo of her on the Album. :)

Chris. :)

Re: The 'KD'

Pomgolian said:
:D ... 8)
By the way Paul funny how it's a memory of a woman that gets you all sloppy and goose bumpy. Were you that couple having a pash in the corner, oh no sorry your Bren is too much of a really nice lady to have allowed you to do such things, I can tell by that lovely photo of her on the Album. :)

Chris. :)

I didn't have any "pash" with Rod's wife... honest I didn't!... :shock: I think my wife's name's Gail. :wink:

oooooppppsssssssss

:oops: Well Angie did mention on another thread that I get 'Al's' from time to time. And from that avatar on your posts you could have gotten mixed up with all that Ale inside you... :wink: Sorry Gail, :oops: Sorry Brenda :oops: Sorry Rod :oops: But I bet Rod went to the Kahdoma if it was still there when he was old enough to go out alone. :lol: :lol:

Chris :)

kardomah cafe

you love birds were in good company! the actor Lewis Casson proposed to Sybil Thorndike in the Kardomah and they married in 1908. He died in 1969 sothey were together 61 years!
APPLAUSE

And I thought mine was the only love story :D

Thanks for the spelling Ken, I was waiting for some one to tell me. I didn't have a clue. :D

HAHA!!... :lol: I noticed the spelling but didn't want to embarrass you, Di. :wink:

Am I right in thinking that the buildings opposite the front of Snow Hill station (which included the Kardomah) were quite badly bombed and then patched up in the late 1940s?
Certainly by the early 50s it was one of the best places, on two floors, with plenty of room for us tram-nutters to meet before going on a Saturday-afternoon car riding spree (until 1953 of course), but also for family and especially for one's love life. My best girl friend in the 50s lived in Handsworth, and we must have sunk a few coffees there.
Peter

And here's how it looks now:

829247319bb49db7ac563a5104a41be012d72b6192d9a7b146fa45ae.jpg

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Thank you Paul. It's more upmarket now than it was in the 50's, but not as much fun. :D

Was there a Pizza Express there two or three years ago :?:

Yep, there was a Pizza Express there... but I think both are downmarket compared with our Kardomah.

I used to work in the office down stairs in the basement in the sixties I was in my late teens. Ground floor had a coffee bar and a waitress area.
Plus an area where you bought ground coffee and filters and coffee machines. Basement was a self service with my pokey office under the stairs Manageress had a office down there also and there was a manager who was based at the other Kardomah who was in overall charge of both.
For my young age I handled all the money aand cigarette stock and so forth. Then I left to work in the post office, because I had to work saturdays and my half day in the week nevr coincided with any of my friends. I can remember some one saying when they paid for a cup of tea.
"I only want a cup not the bloody plantation" so it must have cost more than he wanted to pay.!
The staff had lunch cooked for them it was free.
Regards Pam

Nice one S,Pam

:) Nice one from Kardoma Kalgoorie Kid :wink:

Show us your smiling Gold Fillings "aarh kid", only a Minor dig, Eh :?:
Luv you beaut,, (ya have to say it to these Colonial Shelaghs :oops: )

Was it an Omen

Took a few girlfriends there, friendships never lasted was it the Coffee or what :roll:

CHINESE AND FRENCH RESTAURANT

How I envy your shared memories. I can only contribute that I went to the first Chinese restaurant in Launceston, Tasmania - circa 1960's. No one would eat Chinese food there of course because we all knew they cooked cats! So we would go there late at night (the only place open for a good feed) and eat wonderful steak, eggs and chips. The owners knew how to find their way into an Aussie's heart! Gradually we became brave enough to try the Asian food. That restaurant is still there and I plan to visit it next time I am in Launceston. I have only been back in Tasmania 3 years after 35 years on the big island.

The place where I went with my first serious boyfriend (about 1964) was Pierre's in Launceston. It was run by a real Frenchman (Pierre) and his wife (Mrs Pierre as we respectfully called her). Beautiful hot chocolate with marshmallows. Paper thin crepes. Steaks with mushroom sauces. Quite sophisticated for little old "Lonnie" in those days. Pierre greeted everyone who came in by name - a big fellow who no one was game to give any cheek. The restaurant is still there, but sadly Mr and Mrs Pierre are retired. I miss them. It just isn't the same any more. I went there recently with my daughter and was very disappointed.

Walks down memory lane don't always work out hey? I hope the Chinese restaurant lives up to my memories :)

:D Hey Kate have been to Launceston... Couldn't get over that big ship sitting at the bottom of the main street ... Thought we were about to be run down by a boat of all things :) Great place though and just across the pond from Melbourne.

I've altered my spelling error on this topic, I couldn't stand it any longer :shock:

I can't remember any of the prices in the KD. I guess the food must have been out of our range, because we never ate there. We met at about 4pm, and went to the flicks afterwards. We must have been living on love, or the odd bag of baked potato's from the cart by New Street station. Hot,hot, hot, and dipped in salt, wow.......

The prices were steep, that's why I tried to talk Gail into meeting me in a pub. It would've been... No... On second thoughts, it wouldn't have been that cheap in a pub if she was in one of her Brandy and Babycham moods. :?

Davis C Keeler
22 & 24 Colmore row
dispensing opticians
1956 Kelly's
just a thought Rod and myself went to a lot of trouble to aquire a number of Kelly's directories for the benefit of the site so why don't you use them they are here for you to use and ours will still be here in a couple of years or more.
we also have other history discs about Birmingham just ask to see if they cover the time scale you are researching

Kardomah - was it ever the Mikado?

Further to earlier correspondence on the Kardomah, I was looking through some old wartime copies of "The Modern Tramway" - the tram nutters' rag - and was reminded that almost every month, they would meet in Birmingham and spend a Saturday afternoon and evening riding trams. I did not join their number until I was 13 in 1947, but I certainly remember that after their trip to the Lickeys or whereever, they would adjourn to the Kardomah for tea. Looking through the earlier copies of the magazine there were regular accounts of the enthusiasts' day out. From May 1941 onwards, it was usually recorded that "Tea was taken as usual at the Kardomah, followed by exchange of photographs and discussion".
What struck me however is that after the April 1941 tram-ride, "tea was taken as usual at the Mikado", and earlier stories also mention the Mikado. Was the Mikado renamed the Kardomah in about March 1941, and if so why? It wouldhave been just after the bad air raids in Birmingham. I have vague memories of my parents talking about the Mikado, but I cannot place where it was, or if it was the same as the Kardomah.
Can anyone else help solve this little riddle?
Peter

MIKADO

Hello Peter
The Mikado was in Martineau street.
I have sent a photo to Rod and asked him to kindly include it in the Nostalgia section. :wink: SORTED :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :idea:

Matters arising from the Mikado

Thanks for your quick reply. Now you mention it, I can just remember the Mikado at 26 Martineau St, as I should do, having waited just outside for many No 10 trams to Washwood Heath. I see it was no longer in business by 1956, when the Corporation was running its ROUNDABOUT Restaurant, officially at No 28, but I suspect it was the same property. I never used it much, preferring the OXFORD Restaurant by the News Theatre, on the High Street. And wasn't the ARDEN next to the Odeon in New Street? That was a bit posher as I remember.
In the very early 50s I used the PRIORY, in Upper Priory, another British Restaurant which did a brisk lunchtime trade.
Peter

Does anyone remember the 'La Boheme' coffe bar? I can't remember the name of the road but it was at the back of Central Fire Station. I worked there on Monday & Saturday nights to suplement my meagre income. (I also used to get to chat up the chicks) This was in 1965-67.

La Boheme

Hi Frantic.....Did Andre Drucker own La Boheme at the time you worked there? My Mom worked at Bloxham's Travel Agents in the Central Fire Station on Lancaster Street in the late l950's and she used to go over
there for coffee or lunch. In those days Andre Drucker, founder of Drucker's Vienna Patisserie was the owner. He was a recent immigrant to Britain back then and opened this most unusual cafe. He created a great atmosphere in La Boheme, serving good coffee having some interesting art magazines available, great jazz style music and by helping budding artists by hanging their work on the walls of the cafe on a consignment basis.

Eventually, a small coffee shop was opened up in the Burlington Arcade and then a shop in Erdington High Street. When my Mother died I went to the Erdington shop and ordered a huge cheesecake for her funeral tea. Went down well with her friends and neighbours. She was always impressed by Andre Drucker and introduced me to the wonderful cakes they serve. I always have at least one visit to Druckers in Sutton,Walsall,Town Kenilworth....oh my heavens....any of them.

Back