• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kalamazoo

During school holidays in the 1950's I used to sometimes go with dad on his British rail parcels delivery round, his round included the Longbridge area and we often called in at Kalamazoo. I used to go in with him and seeing a small kid they used to give me a big pile of printed paper to take home to draw on the blank side.

Not exactly about Kalamazoo but the recollections here stir memories of that strip of waste ground that ran alongside the River Rea and the railway track from the rear of the Kalamazoo site to the bridge on Tessall Lane (Just about where Longbridge station now is). The River was certainly never anything to write home about in the fifties but it featured heavily in the lives of a many a hot blooded Longbridge Lad. We may have discovered it train spotting (did we really do that still in our teens back then?) but we soon sussed out there were plenty of secluded spots for a little dalliance with the fairer sex.

This Kalamazoo thread is interesting Viv, as my parents both worked there. Mom, Freda Taylor of Selly Oak worked in accounts before W.W.2. and met my Dad, Frederick Neale who was an electrician. They were both much into sports and the Kalamazoo teams. Dad was a keen footballer then later a cricketer playing for the first KCC team. Before the war they bought the house at Rednal where they lived until Dad died. Through the war Dad was in a reserved occupation and was working in Halesowen and Mom left the company to have my brother Keith. Dad returned to Kalamazoo in 1945 and worked his way through the ranks to become the main electrical engineer under Jack Trigg and retired in 1972. For all his years at Kalamazoo he was on call and I remember as a lad going to the factory with him on many occasions day and night, fascinated with the machinery, and meeting some of his friends, Les Ecclestone, one I remember. He also did electrical work at the Directors homes, Tom Moreland I think lived near Barnt Green and his wife fed me whilst Dad did the jobs. I remember the Company as a family, many employees friends through the sports or other company activities and whenever I visited with Dad they always made me welcome. Happy Days.
Hi,
Your dad must of known dad, he worked as an electrician from leaving school until the early 90’s maybe.

John Swadling

I remember the snooker tables lol

Hi all,
My mother and father also met here. John William Swadling and Jacqueline Jeffries now Swadling
Both in the table tennis club I believe, my dad used to take me to play snooker sometimes in his Metro.
Sadly my dad died of Mesothelioma cancer a few years ago due to exposure to asbestos on site, guess they never knew had bad that stuff was back in 50’s 60’s
It would be great if anyone remembers my parents…. I know a few came to his funeral from the Kala which was very touching and heart warming

RIP DAD X

Unrelated to the thread topic...in the 60's I worked on a project in South Bend, Indiana, USA. I would drive the 500+ miles from my home in Toronto about once a month. My journey would take me through Kalamazoo, Michigan and like most English folks at the time, I was fascinated with most things American. The Glenn Miller classic, I've got a gal in Kalamazoo, was no exception. I had this vision of what I imagined Kalamazoo would look like. To say I was deeply disappointed and disillusioned, would be grossly understated.
Dave A

Hi All,

I worked at (and still work for Kalamazoo - name changed to AdareSEC - we trade as KalamazooDirect online and as Kalamazoo oversea.). 1979 to present day.

A few myths to correct:
Kalamazoo was a British company NOT American in the least. The name comes from Kalamazoo, Michigan. It's a native American word for where two rivers meet and translates as 'bubbling water'. The Quaker founders went there to look at a new book-binding system and chose that name for the company.

The Australian branch was where many a young printer went to work after their 5 year City & Guilds apprenticeship.

Leonard Wicks - Lithographic artist.
I did not know Leonard but I trained in the same role. It is not the same as being a Litho printer (I was a Lithographic printer for 13 years). Back in the day Leonard would have created logos and crests for company stationery using Indian ink, painted directly onto light-sensitive paper. This was then exposed directly to the printing plate (made from aluminium) under intense light.

The site was split into two parts - The main office (called '72 Building') which you can see from Bristol Road and the Printing Factory behind and to the right of the main building. 72 Building originally house our office workers but transitioned to computer manufacturing in the '80s. This part of the company was bought by Reynolds (trade as Kalamazoo Reynolds).

"Wasn't there a Kalamazoo in Ward End somewhere?"
We bought the brand Kall-Kwik (high street printers) but we lost trade to Proto-Print.

Malcolm Horton and Heather Horton
I knew them both. I didn't have much to do with Malcolm, but I did visit Nurse Horton quite a few times as I kept getting my fingers caught between the printing press rollers!

Bob Preston
Didn't Bob have a Rolls Royce and perform as a chauffeur at weddings on the weekend?

John Swadling
"Swaddy" - What a great bloke. He worked with the electricians and engineers - a feared lot who survived on Tea and Fags. If ever you were sent to their department, you knew that you would be in for a bit of micky-taking!

I'm now the only one left in what is referred to as 'The Studio' or 'Pre-Press'. I started in a team of 27, but advances in technology mean that it only takes one person to do all of those previous roles. We are located in Redditch. The Northfield site was sold to make way for the housing estate.

I will post a few pics - see if you recognise anyone!

I understand the firm was started to produce an office system that had been seen in Kalamazoo, USA. Hence the company name. The Moreland's started the company. My grandfather was Ray Newman who had been batman to Tommy Moreland during WW1 and was subsequently given a job as a lithographic printer. He later became "Father of the Chapel " and was a knocker - upper until he retired in the 60's. My father, Kenny Arthur, was also a lithographic printer there until he retired 1989. I also worked there as a student in the 70's during my vacation. I seem to remember the workforce had 51% of the shares which was allocated based upon service.

Kenny Arthur trained me on the big sheet-fed press - The Double Demy - A lovely bloke, always wore a tie and a cardigan.
Here he is having a sly lunchtime pint!

Attachments

• 394009_10150509123152690_961140222_n.jpg
    394009_10150509123152690_961140222_n.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 27
I understand the firm was started to produce an office system that had been seen in Kalamazoo, USA. Hence the company name. The Moreland's started the company. My grandfather was Ray Newman who had been batman to Tommy Moreland during WW1 and was subsequently given a job as a lithographic printer. He later became "Father of the Chapel " and was a knocker - upper until he retired in the 60's. My father, Kenny Arthur, was also a lithographic printer there until he retired 1989. I also worked there as a student in the 70's during my vacation. I seem to remember the workforce had 51% of the shares which was allocated based upon service.
This is a Double-Demy printing press behind these three printers. Your dad's press was to the left of this one.

Attachments

• 394308_10150509124137690_1429220130_n.jpg
    394308_10150509124137690_1429220130_n.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 17
A few of the ladies from the Kalamazoo Factory

Attachments

• 394782_10150509126202690_2098212620_n.jpg
    394782_10150509126202690_2098212620_n.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 24
This is a Double-Demy printing press behind these three printers. Your dad's press was to the left of this one.
And here he is at his press with the foreman (Wilf Hinton) to the left

Attachments

• 395664_10150509124577690_1132832924_n.jpg
    395664_10150509124577690_1132832924_n.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 21
On Strike! Official picket line - early 80's

Attachments

• 393937_10150509124262690_1243871902_n.jpg
    393937_10150509124262690_1243871902_n.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 22
Rodd Dunn's 60th Birthday Poster - celebrating many years of Binder-making

Attachments

• Rod_Birthday_3.jpg
    Rod_Birthday_3.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 7
The Kalamazoo News Magazine

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 20
I remember going to Kalamazoo in probably 1972/3 to learn how to use an Optical Font Machine,which I would be using in the accounts department at a car dealership in the city centre.

I worked at Kalamazoo in the 70's on the motor trade systems and then the general accounting system.

Back