• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Just Outside Birmingham by Post Card.

Yes I did Stitcher and of course you are right, as I said to Lyn (Astoness) recently they remain bright and ever real to us.
paul

The thing that strikes me when I think back to the pubs of my childhood was that they were allways packed with people.

My parents used to walk us to the Packhorse at Wythall, well over two miles, and people would spill out into the garden, it was so full.

Not so today.

Mind you, we had no telly then !

Kin.jpgNo date I'm afraid.
A tram-car running alongside the canal at Kinver.

Greast photo Stitcher. Looks like the tram was one that ran on the Kinver Light Railway tracks. Must have been great in those long ago days when it was really hard to get round and see things. Kinver is a fascinating place and my brother use to camp there with the cubs. My brother and I visited the Cave Homes a few years ago. Thanks for posting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinver_Light_Railway

Hello jennyann, I too like Kinver because of the idyllic quiet and calm that always seems to envelope the place.

under repait.JPG

I have finished replacing what attachments I can to this thread, below are the ones I am unable to replace. If the OP or anyone else can help with these, can they please contact me, if not then I'm afraid that they will be removed after 10 days.

Motorman Mike 1970's card post #82
Sospiri Garden House post #95
John Knight ? post #117
Stitcher 1898 agriculture show post # 128
Motorman Mike ? post #238
Motorman Mike Walsall post # 245
Motorman Mike Bewdley post # 259

Of course as usual if any of the original posters are unhappy with the replacement images they are at liberty to change them.

Last edited:
Phil,

I'm sorry but I can't trace that solitary one of mine. If it had the word "garden" embedded in the title, then I certainly no longer have it. My guess is that it is somewhere in the Malvern area, but I've checked all likely folders and drawn a blank. As it doesn't appear to have another post associated with it, please delete it.

Maurice

Maurice

I'll give it the ten days, then I will have another go myself. Then if I don't do any better I will delete it and any others that are still outstanding plus these posts at this end of the thread.

Ok John

Don't worry about it, I'll either work around it somehow or just delete it if I am unable.

Blue Bird toffee.jpg
This is not a postcard really but it is the right shape so I have put it here. When Blue Bird vacated these premises they were taken over by a garden tools and compost supplier. I used to go in every day with a 24 ton truck and load almost anything you could use in the garden ten deliver it, mostly local or at least not too far away.

Think it is taken from Poplar Road with Warwick Road going right to left. The building on the left is now O'Neils (formerly Barley Mow). Building on the right is (or was) known as Quinet House.
I've seen this picture somewhere else.

The photo might have been in this thread Janice. However, I cannot view it as the site is apparently insecure.

Think it is taken from Poplar Road with Warwick Road going right to left. The building on the left is now O'Neils (formerly Barley Mow). Building on the right is (or was) known as Quinet House.
I've seen this picture somewhere else.
Spot on Janice, but how it has changed round there ... I'm afraid Solihull was a place I just passed through going somewhere else. Another postcard confirms the location.
LodeLaneCorner.jpg

I think it was that view but I have to confess I go that way quite a lot. As my Dad lives in Lode Lane just round the corner from here. Of course that part opposite Poplar Road is no longer Lode Lane. The bit straight on was blocked off but has been re-opened for buses only.

Back