• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Just Outside Birmingham by Post Card.

Funny thing Jean, last time we went over to Bewdley that TIPPLERS had some Cyprus wine we enjoy on holiday in Cyprus. Never seen it over here so dived in for a bottle or two. Couldn't believe they were charging the equivalent of 5 times more a bottle than what we paid in Cyprus so we made do with just one bottle! I know there is probably import duty but that was O.T.T.
Mike

Bit off topic sorry but they are more expensive there than some other local stores. I will see if i have a postcard of Stourport?. Sure I have somewhere. Jean.

Back on thread and back on track in Edwardian Warwick where we have seen the Eastgate from the other side but rarely from this side.

Attachments

• EastgateWarwick[1].jpg
    EastgateWarwick[1].jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
In Worcestershire, how about the days when churns of locally produced milk were delivered by tram from Kinver to Stourport for dairies there. Here we see the churns waiting to be picked up.

Attachments

• kinver.JPG
    kinver.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 2
In the City of Worcester itself here is the High Street seen in about the late 1940's.

Attachments

• Worcester.jpg
    Worcester.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2
Hello Mike, I have to tell you mike that I find your pictures absolutely fascinating. That last one for instance brings back great memories of my dad taking me fishing in the river at Worcester. Even if I have no memories connected to some of them they are all of such great quality.

Know what you mean Trevor and thanks. Have you seen the lorries over on the Maudsley thread? Good stuff there as well.
Mike

Yes I did scrutinise that page. My sore throat seems to have gone away now and no other signs of anything so tell me which evening suits you.

hi motorman
great shot of bewdley high street, it seems outrageous now but I used to cycle from Bartley Green to bewdley to go fishing by the bridge, near there used to be a small cafe
could not do it now. one thing about your photo is how english the scene looks to, to-day
regards
paul

Bit further out than usual ragga but with high speed trains and Motorways for many these places are on Brum's doorstep nowadays.

Very true Motorman ....... I love viewing 1950/60s seaside postcards in glorious colour ....... ragga ......

You could always start a 'Where we saw the Seaside by Postcard' thread with any more you 've got ragga. I could add a few as well - who knows it could catch on and run well.
Mike

We could also include places like Majorca and Minorca. Its almost quicker to get there than from Wolverhampton to Coventry nowadays!

A lot closer than Majorca or Minorca but just as enjoyable at the turn of the 20th century was the lovely countryside seen from a tram between Kidderminster and Kinver.

Attachments

• Kinver LR.jpg
    Kinver LR.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 1
Oops no - The Kinver line ran from the Black Country, Mike, not Kidderminster. Stourbridge via the Stewponey Inn was the route.
Perhaps you're thinking of the Kidderminster and Stourport line?

The Kinver line ran alongside the canal where your view was taken, a very photogenic spot. Here's Dudley-Stourbridge car 43 on a special excursion working at the same place.

Attachments

• kinver.jpg
    kinver.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1
It's the Saturday night whiskey fogging me brain Lloyd, I meant between Stourbridge and Kinver of course. Good job one of us is paying attention. No doubt the scenery would have quite countryfied between Kidderminster and Stourport in those days but this is definitely a Kinver line pic.

The Kidderminster - Stourport line was, like the Stourbridge - Kinver one, an unusual interurban tramway running through open countryside linking an industrial town with a rural resort where the working classes could enjoy their new-found leisure time relaxing. Visitors from further afield would arrive at Kidderminster station and connect with direct trams to Stourport and the River Severn. Anticpation of heavy loadings caused the company to equip the line with these open-sided cross-bench trailer cars, but later they were motorised and ran on their own.

Stourport town centre.

Attachments

• stourport.jpg
    stourport.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3
What a cracking photo Lloyd and surprising given the competition there must have been from the GWR Bewdley - Stourport branch line connecting with the Kidderminster - Bridgnorth line to cover the same journey.

Back