• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Just Outside Birmingham by Post Card.

motorman-mike

Brum visitor who stayed.
Over the years many folks just over Birminghams boundaries have looked to the City for work or shopping or to move in to. At the same time folks from the City have explored just over the boundaries for outings or visited relatives and many to live 'just outside Birmingham'. Here are some post cards that may revive a memory or two and show how places have changed when compared to today. First two show 1960's Solihull.

Attachments

• solihull poplar rd.jpg
    solihull poplar rd.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 26
  • solihull high st.jpg
    solihull high st.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:
Mike.

Here's another, how many of you Rover workers past and present remember driving over this bridge on Dovehouse Lane. Its still there today I believe alongside the new one.

I'll have to look out some more snaps of Solihull, and the other outskirts of Birmingham.

Phil

Attachments

• Solihull Dovehouse Lane.jpg
    Solihull Dovehouse Lane.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 46
Mike

Here's another view of Popular Rd.

Phil

Attachments

• Popular Rd.jpg
    Popular Rd.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 45
Staying in Solihull, this view can still be seen but Mell Square was brand new when this card came out.

Attachments

• mell square.jpg
    mell square.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 14
Heres an old one of Robin Hood Lane.

Attachments

• Robin Hood Lane.jpg
    Robin Hood Lane.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 18
Sratford-on-Avon Memorial Theatre circa 1907. Len.

Attachments

• memorial theatre.jpg
    memorial theatre.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 10
The Hand Hotel, Llangollen. Len.

Attachments

• hand hotel wales.jpg
    hand hotel wales.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 7
Well, when this was taken it was just outside Birmingham.

Sutton Coldfield Memorial Garden.

Phil

Attachments

• Sutton Coldfield Memorial Garden.jpg
    Sutton Coldfield Memorial Garden.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 33
Aberysthwyth. Len.

Attachments

• Aberysthwyth.jpg
    Aberysthwyth.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 4
Welshpool, circa?. Len.

Attachments

• Welshpool.jpg
    Welshpool.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 4
A contrast in churches both in design and use. St James' at Shirley remains a church but St Mary's at Wythall closed some years back to become office accomodation inside. At least it wasn't pulled down.

Attachments

• st marys wythall.jpg
    st marys wythall.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 13
  • st james shirley[1].jpg
    st james shirley[1].jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 14
I remember the campaign to save the church at Wythall. I seem to recall the CofE claimed it was unsafe and too costly to repair. Not sure if the developers found the same.

When the Diocese got an estimate for work needed to save St Mary's the amount was considered far too much to save the church. Independent figures obtained by the Victorian Society showed mush less was really needed but the church was also considered to be too far from the people of the parish so was really not wanted anyway. The office developers found the building worth converting so it's condition must have been viably good enough to avoid demolition. A Wythall building that did not escape demolition was the White Swan pub at Drakes Cross. Pity, because for me at least, it's replacement is less attractive to look at.

https://www.phils-site.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/GALLERY2/pages/white-SWAN.htm

Talking of pubs, the old Pack Horse at Hollywood has seen many reincarnations but stays much the same on the outside. Still miss the Atkinsons they origianally sold. At least one of Atkinsons original lamps remains on the left hand side of the frontage. (The one on the other end was put there by Mitchells and Butler).

Attachments

• packhorse.jpg
    packhorse.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Packhorse hotel.jpg
    Packhorse hotel.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 10
Interesting to see the entrance to the smoke room at
the left, and now, what looks like a garage.

What looks like a garage was a double door entrance to replace the original front door and has itself been replaced now by a main entrance off the car park.
Mike

Just caught up wigth this thread.What grieves me is the loss of the old chimneys. People are prepared to pay thousands of pounds to fuss about with reproduction door and window frames, but are scared to keep chimneys and especially chimney pots, which I used to think in Brum were the crown of every building.
Peter

Spot the diffence in Kenilworth. Strangely the style of the newer post card on the right looks more dated than the older one to the left. How peaceful it looks around there.

Attachments

• Kenilworth Castle Green.jpg
    Kenilworth Castle Green.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Kenilworth (2).jpg
    Kenilworth (2).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 12
Nice photos of Kenilworth, but in my opinion for a historic old town like this they have completely spoilt it, the shopping area and the shopping square are so out of keeping for a town steeped in history - whatever were the planners thinking of when it was redeveloped in the 60s.

Back