• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Just Outside Birmingham by Post Card.

You're welcome, Graham, I've got just four more of Malvern, when I've tidied up the scans a bit.

Regards,

Maurice

Whilst Maurice is tidying up I'm off to 1960's Warwick.

Attachments

• WestgateWarwick[1].jpg
    WestgateWarwick[1].jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here's the last of my Malvern postcards, but the first one has given me something to follow up that I hadn't noticed before. It's addressed to a Mrs J. NEWELL, Broad Street, Presteigne, Rads. and is from someone who signs him/herself "E.M.M." My great grandmother was a NEWELL and came from a large family and seems to be related to most of the NEWELLs in that part of Worcestershire! The card is dated 4 Sep 1934. If anyone has access to a trade directory of that area about then, perhaps they'd be kind enough to check out the address. Thank you. So here goes:-

Madresfield Court, Malvern - current home to a niece of the late Earl Beauchamp and the HQ of the Elmley Foundation (details above)

North Malvern Road - date obliterated but it is pre-1911

Malvern from Beacon Hill - date stamped 1904, but stamp removed!

The Beacon Hill, West Malvern - undated, but my guess is about 1910.

Regards,

Maurice

Attachments

• 4 beaconhill[1].jpg
    4 beaconhill[1].jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1 Madresfield_Court.jpg
    1 Madresfield_Court.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 2 north malvern rd.jpg
    2 north malvern rd.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 3 malvern from beacon hill.jpg
    3 malvern from beacon hill.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 2
Hi I came across this postcard selection in my dad's old things. It is of the Wrekin and I believe my dad was there when he was in the army probably just before WW2. I remember having days outings to the Wrekin as a child, especially climbing through The Needles Eye or the eye of the needle.

Attachments

• wrekin-postcard-1[1].jpg
    wrekin-postcard-1[1].jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 4
  • The-Needles-Eye-on-the-Wrekin[1].jpg
    The-Needles-Eye-on-the-Wrekin[1].jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Wrekin.jpg
    Wrekin.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 4
Some nice sepia pictures there - echoes of "A Shropshire Lad" and I can almost hear Butterworth's music! :) Great stuff!

Maurice

As we are now in Shropshire here is sunny Shrewsbury in the 70's.
Why is it everyone I speak to, including people who live there, calls it Shroosbury and the TV newspeople call it Shrohsberry. At the risk of starting a minor riot, which is right. Did old Bill Shakeyspear mean us to call his play the Taming of the Shroh then?

Attachments

• shrewsbury.jpg
    shrewsbury.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 3
Why is it everyone I speak to, including people who live there, calls it Shroosbury and the TV newspeople call it Shrohsberry. At the risk of starting a minor riot, which is right.

Neither. It's "Amwythig", which I used to write on National Express tickets I issued on the 520 Llandudno service. Similarly Mold is "Yr Wyddgrug", Wrexham is "Wrecsam", Knighton is "Tref Y Clawdd" and Rhyl is "Yr Hyll" (The Hill). I often wondered what the ticket analysis girls made of my Welsh Placenames!
Lloyd, incidentally, is my first name and is welsh for "Grey" (literally, 'The colour of slate'), but perhaps now I should modify it to 'Llwyd' - The grey haired one!

Lloyd, as the great Mary Poppins said 'but that's going a bit too far'.
Mike

Now playing it safe by coming nearer Brum to look in on Bridgnorth in the 1970's in a multiview card. A seperate post card of just the North Gate.

Attachments

• Bridgnorth Multiview.jpg
    Bridgnorth Multiview.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Bridgnorth Northgate.jpg
    Bridgnorth Northgate.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 4
Hewell Grange Redditch before it was handed over to the Prison Service.

Phil

Attachments

• Redditch Hewell Grange .jpg
    Redditch Hewell Grange .jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 8
I have a few pictures from the area shown here. I know Ross on Wye is further than just outside Birmingham but they are all very nice pictures. I obtained these in the late 70s and early 80s.
The first one is Vicar's Cloister, Hereford Cathedral. The second one is The Old Bull Inn at Inkberrow.

Attachments

• Old Bull Inkberrow.jpg
    Old Bull Inkberrow.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Hereford Vicars Cloisters.jpg
    Hereford Vicars Cloisters.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 3
Lovely views Trevor. Interesting to see The Old Bull there as it was sometimes used as The Bull in Ambridge (The Archers on the wireless) when the BBC wanted publicity photos. I see they sold Flowers Avon watered Ales too.
Mike

Having reached Hereford now, here is a 1970's view of the City centre.

Attachments

• Hereford High Town.jpg
    Hereford High Town.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 3
This is a view of British Camp, Malvern

Attachments

• british camp.jpg
    british camp.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 3
Over now to the Regency splendour of Royal Leamington Spa in the 1960's/70s. Anyone go there for the Annual Lights in the Jephson Gardens back in the 1960's?

Attachments

• Royal Leamington Spa[1].jpg
    Royal Leamington Spa[1].jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Leamington.jpg
    Leamington.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4
  • leamington-spa[1].jpg
    leamington-spa[1].jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 4
Seeing those postcards of ROYAL LEAMINGTON reminds me of what I HAVE SAID FOR MANY YEARS.WHY HO WHY DID BIRMINGHAM NOT KEEP THE FRONTAGES OF THOSE FANTASTIC BUILDINGS & build behind them the new shops of today.
If you look at moden LEAMINGHTON it has not changed much from those cards but yet it is a moden shoping centre behind the frontages.

The Baron, I have a book that says Broad St was a road with houses along it and the shops were added onto the houses, some on the front and others on the rear. Of course they have all been removed now.

The first one of these is the river Wye viewed from Yat Rock .
Next is The Beacons Walk, Malvern
Then Belmont Abbey, Hereford.
And finally a house on props in Ledbury.

Attachments

• Beacon Walk.jpg
    Beacon Walk.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 2
  • River Wye from Yat Rock.jpg
    River Wye from Yat Rock.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 3
  • belmont abbey.jpg
    belmont abbey.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 4
  • ledbury market hall.jpg
    ledbury market hall.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 4
Graham, I thought you would probably like the British Camp picture.

Back