• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

June 6th Goes Unnoticed

barrie

master brummie
Here we are, 6th of June, and not a mention of D-Day on the tele. What ever happened to "We Will Remember Them"?

barrie.

Thanks Barrie for commenting on this I agree with you totally ..i think its disgusting that the media ignore this day:(
Maggie

The Bishop of York did mention the D-day Guy's also the troops in Iraq & Afganistan when he did his tandem parachute drop with the Red Devil's in aid of a charity for the forces
But as you say Soon forgotten,but not by all of us

I thought the same,no mention on the news about D Day, but on the local news here tonight, I now live in Somerset they did interview an old soldier who landed in Normandy on D Day 1944, and he said for next year ,the 65th. anniversary, the American and Canadian governments are allready making plans for veterans to go there and helping to pay for them, but our government have said they wont pay for our blokes, and as he said a lot of them cant afford it themselves. I have been a few times myself to view the beaches and war graves and would recomend it to anyone interested in the 2nd. world war, my father landed on Juno beach a few days after D Day, and thankfully came home at the end of the war, which he finished in Hamburg as part of the 4th. armoured brigade, the desert rats 8th. army.:angry2:

Last edited:
The Independent's front page featured D-Day but sadly the story was about those unable to attend and who must remember at home.

Next year will be the last time that the veterans of that campaign will travel in number so the paper is calling for a fully Gov't supported visit by those wishing to travel.

Back