• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Junction of Shaftmoor Lane/Cateswell Road, Hall Green

KARENW

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone remember what was here before it was a Nursing Home called Pennsparrow? It is now a Neurorehabilitation Centre called Hunters Moor. I was told it used to be a school years ago but no one knows for certain what was here before it became Pennsparrow. Apparently it was shut down due to patients not being treated very well!
Kind Regards
Karen

Maps show there was a council depot for a long way along Shaftmoor road, but not to the corner. No building is shown at the corner in the 1937 map, with just a few houses further down Cateswell road, and in c 1953 there is just a building , with no description

The whole corner site was always a Council PWD as long as I can remember it. It's where they used to store the snow ploughs and gritters back when we had such things.

Does anyone know what happened to Pennsparrow Nursing Home and why it was closed down? I have heard rumours about the patients being abused but cannot find anything about it on the website, so don't know if there is any truth in this or not?

I used to work at the depot in the 1980's. It was run by the defunct West Midlands County Council until that was abolished on 31/3/1986. However, the land in question was a strip of land at the top of the depot outside its boundaries fence. It was a row of very tall trees - lime trees or planes, I'm not sure - that were chopped down in 1985 or 86 presumably to make way for the nursing home. It took days for the trees to be chopped down as there were quite a few of them and they were big.

The depot land is now taken up by a housing estate.

Back