• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

July 2008 edition Percy Shurmer stories, Outer Circle article

W

Wendy

Here's this months magazine with again some wonderful stories accompanied by lovely photo's.

Thanks Wendy. A lot of people will be interested in the Percy Shurmar stories, I'm sure.

Thanks Wendy
I am one of the people who was asked to do some photographing for the project mentioned in .. inside the outercircle article . I did handsworth area .
How Brum has changed on the outside .. but brummies will never change . :) Jean

Wendy,

I tend to buy books rather than magazines, but as Percy gets a mention I will be out looking to buy a copy of this one tomorrow.

Phil

Hello everyone - I am a new member to the site.

I just happen to be the wee little girl in the photograph on the front cover of this edition.
My two brothers also feature in the picture.:D:D

Fame at last after all these years.

Hello everyone - I am a new member to the site.

I just happen to be the wee little girl in the photograph on the front cover of this edition.
My two brothers also feature in the picture.:D:D

Fame at last after all these years.[/quote

Hi Sandra,

Did you go to Ada Road Infant & Junior School?

You're missing out pmc, its a fantastic magazine

Michael,

Although I agree that it is a fantastic magazine ( I have one or two) I found that that a lot of the photo's and stories and set pieces were also in the many books that I have so it would be very often a case of duplicating what I already have.

Phil

Yes you are right Phil, and the photos are generally better resolution in books. There, are however, lots of previously unpublished photos that people supply as well. I have to get it now though as I have them all from number 1 and as a compulsive collector I could not miss an issue now.

Mick - I did indeed go to Ada Road Infants and Junior School.
I remember the toilets were across at the far end of the playground - extemely cold in the winter time. Who says 'the good old days' I look back and hate the thought of the cold. Cold houses, cold floors, cold bedrooms, condensation on the windows. As the only two females in the house, mom and myself were allowed to get dressed in front of the fire the poor boys had to get dressed upstairs!!

Having said all that the sense of community was more than I have ever witnessed elsewhere. When someone died the women of the street went around to houses making a collection, often for the widow. Any excess food was taken to less well off familys and was appreciated.
Oh dear I am sounding so nostalgic.

Sandra, nostalgia is what the site is all about. I too remember when there was a death in our street, a collection was made for a wreath and any money over was given to the family. Also everyone in the street drew their curtains as a mark of respect, and when a hearse went by men would take off their hats or caps as a sign of respect.

Back