• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Judy Garland in Birmingham

Maria Magenta

master brummie
My apologies to you Maria, but instead of replying to your post enquiring when and where Judy Garland appeared in Birmingham, I accidentally replaced your post by my answer, and cannot reverse this. However I gave found a date as shown below:

She apparently appeared at the Hippodrome , Birmingham on 9th July 1951, but that is a bit earlier than you seem to think

Last edited by a moderator:
Judy Garland was in Birmingham around the early 1950's with her husband, Vincent? Minnelli, and her daughter, Liza Minnelli.

I can confirm that she walked into Cranes Music Shop, Corporation Street,with her husband and Liza, and purchased a small Mickey Mouse wind up record player for Liza.

My very good pianist friend, Alf Bevin served her.

Eddie

Thank you, Mike and Eddie.

I must be misremembering something, as I was sure it was in the '60s. There's no one left I can ask. Perhaps I dreamed it! Or more likely I heard them talking about something that had happened years ago, i.e. in 1951. I like the idea of Judy buying something in a Birmingham shop.

What made me think of this is that "Easter Parade" was shown on television today.

maria

Judy Garland made her last film here in England in 1963. "I Could Go On Singing", with Dirk Bogarde. Her last marriage was a complete disaster, to some unknown American guy named Mickey Deans.

In 1969 she appeared at London's Talk Of The Town, and died soon afterwards at a flat in Chelsea. She was 47 years old. Her body was flown back to the U.S.A for burial.

I remember Judy very well. A great singer, much loved by musicians, but with a sad, tragic life.

There has been masses written about this great entertainer.

Eddie

There is a story that Judy was in Birmingham when Laurel and Hardy were playing the Aston Hippodrome, she went to see them and they called her on stage. Lucky audience. It was in the 50's, my Great Uncle who came over from the US on holiday was on the same ship as Laurel and Hardy.

I was brought up on her records (LPs!!), as dad was a big fan, though of course at the time didn't appreciate it, but I have inherited them. What a terribly sad life she had.

Speaking of Dirk Bogarde, his memoirs are extremely good.

maria

Judy Garland was in Birmingham around the early 1950's with her husband, Vincent? Minnelli, and her daughter, Liza Minnelli.

I can confirm that she walked into Cranes Music Shop, Corporation Street,with her husband and Liza, and purchased a small Mickey Mouse wind up record player for Liza.

My very good pianist friend, Alf Bevin served her.

Eddie
If that was who she was with, it would have to be 1950/51 before she divorced Minelli. A year later and she has a new husband and baby daughter.

I have a photo of Judy Garland meeting Arthur Taylor the Manager of the ABC Savoy Walsall on this visit to Birmingham

ABC Savoy Walsall Arthur taylor- Judy garland Meeting.jpg

The Picture was taken at the Hippodrome in one of the Bars... Pictures where taken with all the ABC Managers on the Birmingham and the Midland area. It was Basically done on a conveyer belt system. The Theatre Tour was done to coincide the Her new film that would have been released soon after the competition of the tour. The Picture that had been taken would have been used to promote the film... Possibly this could be the only surviving picture left of that Tour..

Back