• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Joyce Onyekwere Ngbaronye

I can see why Joyce remembers Rita Saldano. She was living in the same house in the mid-1950s. The Edgbaston property housed 9 people and perhaps all worked as nurses. The location places it between the QE and hospitals in the city centre so it is not clear if Joyce was working elsewhere after qualifying. Anyway, the other people in the house - and I list them in case they are of help to jog Joyce's memory [how old is she by the way?] were : Rita Saldano, Elizabeth Long, Dorothy Dawson, Vera Cross, Elena Caligari, Kathleen Brindley, Muriel Bemrose and Frances Harrold.
Joyce is 90

I can tell you that there is no further mention of Elena Caligari in any British records after that census entry. Presumably she returned to her home country.

Muriel Bemrose never married and died in 1980

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
She does remember the accommodation for nurses mentioned in the thread.
Remembers names in snatches and they're gone before you can write them.

Tony,

That address appears to be accommodation for non-local girls training to be nurses. Muriel Bemrose, for instance, came from Bridlington in Yorkshire, Frances Harrold seems to have come from the Stroud area of Gloucestershire, and Kathleen E. Brindley seems to have come from Nottinghamshire. Unfortunately if they married, they seem to have married people with fairly common surnames, making it difficult to be sure whether which address is correct, if, in fact, they are still alive. Not an easy task!

Maurice :cool:

Back