• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Joy England

Gus Wah

master brummie
My late father had extended visits to Birmingham at least three times in 1944 and 1945 when he served with the RCAF. He was a private man, and if he noted the names of friends he'd made, I'm sure they were significant. The notebook from his war memorabilia contained only a handful of addresses, and that list included two Birmingham women, Elizabeth Bower and Joy England. There was no suggestion that these were romantic acquaintances -- but anything is possible.

There is little chance that either of them is alive today, but out of some crazy speculation, I've considered how amazing it would be if at least one of these girls were to have kept a diary that mentions my father. I will post their antiquated addresses here as they appear in my father's handwriting, each on a separate alphabetical page of this section. And with my DEEPEST gratitude to anyone who might respond!

1637340858249.png

Attachments

• bham1.jpg
    bham1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
There was a Cyril and May Fellows living at 104 Fellows Road in the 1930s and 40s. They appear to have had a daughter Joyce England.

No doubt I read Jay when her name was really Joy. That makes perfect sense. Thank you!

I have now changed the title accordingly.

I think that may be Fay not Jay, but not sure looking at the F in Fellows. Found 104 Fellow Lane on the 1935 and 45 Electoral Roll where a May and Cyril England lived. Can't seem to find any off numbers though. Also the phone number at the bottom of your address Central 6761 would be in the city centre of Birmingham not Harborne. So perhaps it was the place that Fay/Jay worked.

It is Joyce (so I assume Joy). Cyril S England married a May Jones and there is a brth for Joyce D England with mmn Jones in Birmingham in 1925

Yes, Janice. That makes PERFECT sense. She would have been a charming 19-year-old when my 21-year-old father met her. Your sleuthing is marvellous. :)

Back