• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Josiah Cox Woodhill.

W

Wendy

I am trying to find out more information on Josiah Cox Woodhill. I believe he was quite prosperous in the Jewellery Quarter. Census records describe him as a factor, it was thought he was President of the Chamber of Trade in Birmingham in the mid-19th Century. He left more than £50,000 - considerable amount at that time. Any help on this would be great.

Hi Wendy, I presume you know that Josiah Cox Woodhill was the father of Constance Naden buried at Key Hill.

Josiah lived at Packenham House, 20 Charlotte St. Edgbaston.Pakenham House, 20 Charlotte Rd.  Edgbaston.jpg

Yes I did know that but he was her grandfather Shera. Her father was Thomas Naden I am just trying to fill in some gaps. Lovely photo of the house thank you..x

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect he amassed such a fortune through his granddaughter Constance Naden as she was brought up by him and his wife. She died young in her 30's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this Wendy - it gives a bit of information about the company - I wonder if John Woodhill the elder was James' and Josish's father?
Notice is hereby given, that the partnership heretofore subsisting between John Woodhill the elder (who died on the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] day of November last), James Woodhill, and Josaih Cox Woodhill, all of Birmingham, in the County of Warwick, carrying on the business of Merchants and Factors, under the firm of Woodhill and Sons, was dissolved on the 31[SUP]st[/SUP] day of May last. All debts owing to and from the said Copartnership are to be received and paid by the said James Woodhill and Josiah Cox Woodhall, by whom the business in future will be carried on: As witness our hands this 8[SUP]th[/SUP] day of June 1830.
Wm. Lowe,
Wm. Hadley,
Executors of the late John Woodhill.
James Woodhill,
Josiah Cox Woodhill.

Wendy, you may have seen this while doing research on Constance Naden but on Google Books there is an interesting article on the family (search Josiah Cox Woodhill) in One Culture: Essays in Science and Literature edited by George Levine

It says before retiring Josiah Cox Woodhill owned one of the largest wholesale goldsmith and Jewellery businesses in the city (Birmingham) Once retired he passed his leisure days at Pakenham House as a member of the committee of the Old Library and an Elder of the Baptist Churches.

It is a fascinating article about why he and his wife bought up their granddaughter Constance - well worth reading.

From 1838 Josiah Cox Woodhill, factor, occupied 26 Frederick st with his wife & children .No leaving date. The house (not now of course a house) is still there and listed in “The Birmingham Jewellery Quarter” John Catell et al
The land tax records (Ancestry) show a J Woodhill as being the owner & occupier of a building in Dale End in 1825 and 1829.
Looking at directories :
Before 1829 there is no mention of Josiah, though John Woodhill & son are factors and jeweller
1833 Woodhill James and J. C. factors, 19 Vittoria-st.
1839 Woodhill James, fsctor 19 Vittoria-st
1841 Woodhill Josiah Cox, factor, 26 Frederick st
1849 Woodhjll Josiah Cox, jeweller, 20 Vittoria street
They show him living at
1829 Woodhill Josiah, Regent'e-place (assuming it is same Josiah)
1845-49 Woodhill Josiah Cox, gentleman, 20, Vittoria st
1852 Woodhill Josiah 30 Calthorpe St
1855-1882 Woodhill Josiah Cox 20 Charlotte road.
From 1883 it is occupied by Mrs Woodhill
Have just seen Polly's post also

This is wonderful thanks you so much Polly and Mike. I will make a folder with the information for Key Hill I am also in touch with a decendant and I know she will be thrilled with this information thank you both.

I have been asked to say a big thank you from the decendant of Josiah Cox Woodhill. I forwarded the information on here and it has filled in a lot of gaps for her. I can only say I am so jealous she has an amazing family tree!! Thank you all.

Isn't it great that we managed to find some information she needed and how kind of her to say thank you! It sounds as if she has a very interesting family tree indeed.

Josiah Cox Woodhill was born 12 Jan 1801 at Snow Hill
Yes pollypops, John Woodhill snr was the father of both James and Josiah, James by his first wife Eleanor Hill, and Josiah by his second wife, Ann Cox.

Last edited:
Back