• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

JOSEPH WEBB...SEWER GAS LAMPS

hi folks just wondering if there maybe newspaper articles about the brummie joseph webb who invented the sewer gas lamps...also wondering where in brum he lived...thanks folks

It would seem that would be a pretty good idea using today’s technology to provide fuel for heating homes etc. There are a number or developments in the US where they are using animal waste in rural farm areas as fuel. Just a thought!

It would seem that would be a pretty good idea using today’s technology to provide fuel for heating homes etc. There are a number or developments in the US where they are using animal waste in rural farm areas as fuel. Just a thought!
In Reading the bus company claims that it is already using a similar thing , though "virtually"

The gas produced is still methane, and burning it still produces carbon dioxide. Admittedly methane is a more “powerful” greenhouse gas than CO2, but the modern thinking is to cease burning any of these organic gases and burn pure hydrogen which only produces water when burned. The hydrogen is to be produced by some sort of electrical process using renewable electricity from windfarms or tidal plant resulting in a great reduction of greenhouse gases being pushed into the atmosphere.

Hydrogen as a fuel might be suitable for central heating boilers, or district heating schemes, but has many drawbacks when suggested as a replacement for petrol or diesel fuel.

Last edited:
From one of the earlier links he had a son Joseph (Edward) Leonard and that helped me find him in 1911 in Harlesdon 16 Greenhill Park
1629216640047.png

Last edited:
His wife is called Rosetta so:
In 1901 they are at 13 Stracey Road Hendon and I could read his place of birth Stoke Edith in Herefordshire
1629216758686.png

crikey jan he left a lot of money...this is just the sort of info i wanted so he was not actually brummie born then...the writing on the 1891 is just awful...cant make out the aston address so i will go back and forth on the census pages to see if that helps..thanks jan

lyn

crikey jan he left a lot of money...this is just the sort of info i wanted so he was not actually brummie born then...the writing on the 1891 is just awful...cant make out the address so i will go back and forth on the census pages to see if that helps..thanks jan

lyn
On page one of the census it looks as if the road goes from Trinity Road to witton Lane so my guess is Witton Road - just going to see if Kelly's helps.
So it seems he did not live in Birmingham for very long.

thanks mike and jan..now to find out if 384 and 372 witton road is still there bet they have gone

Back