• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joseph Norris photographer

illumina3

knowlegable brummie
I have found from other sources that Joseph Norris was a photographer at 5 Union Passage between 1862-1885, but I have a photo giving his address as 52 New Street - can anyone tell me the years he was at this address, as I'd like to date the photo.

TIA

Have no details 1886-7 but:
1888 -92 Norris Joseph photographer 52 New St
1895 Moran John J. photographer 52 New St

Mikejee - I've actually just noticed that I have a photo by J J Moram as well! Do you know when he stopped being at that address? Thanks!

The photographer Joseph Norris was my great great grandfather (my mother was a Norris and then married a Morris)! From what I can gather he was a photographer at 5 Union Passage from 1862 -1885. Also, Chas (Charles) Norris was his son and may have taken over the business from 1888 - 1892 at 52 New Street trading under the name J. Morris and also may have been trading under the name of Anglo American Photographic Company (His son Arthur was also a photographer - perhaps he was the one who took over his dad's business). Joseph Norris actually died in 1885. Chas Norris, I presume, moved locations after 1892 because there are later photographs with his name and a new address on. Hope you find this interesting. Thanks.

Hi LCMor, my son's best friend Keith Norris is a descendant of Joseph Norris.

Wow, how is he related? My great grandfather was Percy Zanoni Norris (Joseph Norris' son) and my Grandfather Joseph Norris (Junior - so to speak). It would be interesting to make contact if he's interested.

Hi LCMor, I am not too sure whether he is a g.g. grandson or a g.g.g. grandson, but we were talking about family history some months ago and he told me of this connection. I will ring him and if he is interested I will send you his contact details by IM on the forum.

What dates did Charles Norris' Portraits trade at 139 Dudley Road, Birmingham and 95 High Street, Smethwick? I have a photograph of my Great, Great Nan and I am trying to date it.

What dates did Charles Norris' Portraits trade at 139 Dudley Road, Birmingham and 95 High Street, Smethwick? I have a photograph of my Great, Great Nan and I am trying to date it.
I have a similar search - but although rather blurred I think it's 169 Dudley Road rather than 139 - I attach a scan of the address bar so you can judge for yourself. I am guessing my photo was taken in 1986 (It's my grandfather - probably aged 11)

Attachments

• ChasNorrisAddress.jpg
    ChasNorrisAddress.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 15
I have a similar search - but although rather blurred I think it's 169 Dudley Road rather than 139 - I attach a scan of the address bar so you can judge for yourself. I am guessing my photo was taken in 1986 (It's my grandfather - probably aged 11)
I am not sure you mean 1986.
However, 1903 Kelly's directory has
1636456012275.png
Also 1888 lists him at 139 Dudley Road

On 1911 census he is listed in London.

The photographer Joseph Norris was my great great grandfather (my mother was a Norris and then married a Morris)! From what I can gather he was a photographer at 5 Union Passage from 1862 -1885. Also, Chas (Charles) Norris was his son and may have taken over the business from 1888 - 1892 at 52 New Street trading under the name J. Morris and also may have been trading under the name of Anglo American Photographic Company (His son Arthur was also a photographer - perhaps he was the one who took over his dad's business). Joseph Norris actually died in 1885. Chas Norris, I presume, moved locations after 1892 because there are later photographs with his name and a new address on. Hope you find this interesting. Thanks.
I have a photograph from the 5 Union Passage address in my family collection.

Attachments

• Norris union passage 1862 to 1885 .jpg
    Norris union passage 1862 to 1885 .jpg
    448 KB · Views: 16
I have a photograph of whom I believe is my Mother-in-law would have been taken around 1907/8 shown here C. Norris was the photographer. I cannot read the Birmingham address and the other address is 95 High Street, Smethwick. Any thoughts please?

Attachments

• Scan 2.jpeg
    Scan 2.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi Barry, the other address for Charles Norris in Birmingham is given earlier in this thread, it is 139 Dudley Road.

A few cuttings from the newspapers. Not sure if the report of the dispute is Joseph or another member of the family - seems quite likely. Interesting that it was claimed that Joseph Norris was “the oldest photographer in Birmingham”. He seems to have had premises prior to 1862 according to the first advert. Viv

Source: British Newspaper Archive
F8DD8631-C244-4343-80C3-5B4B7194A467.jpeg

1C31EC45-2736-41A7-84B9-97D2A5864B0E.jpeg
170C2AB5-9BE9-4AD0-B82B-EAB0419D4139.jpeg

Back